The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hello everyone!

AlexFS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 20, 2018
My name is Alex. I have been a long time dweller on this forum but never posted anything. Well that is about to change..

I am 32 years old. I don't have a multi million ecommerce or apartment real estate business. I don't drive a lambo either (If I had the money I would probably get a red ferrari though). But I have been lucky to land and work in IT for the last 8 years. Needless to say, I am hungry for change of pace.

I have a tendency to save and be frugal. When I was 28, I got my first 2 bedroom condo. And a car was an old Mazda 6 my parents handed down to me since I was in high school. Kept it, didn;t care for fancy cars. Life was pretty good. I had money. I travelled a little, spent time with my friends and family. Went to work the 9 to 5. Didn't know what 401K (more like didn't care) and stored all my money in a savings account in a bank.. LOL. Life was cake. No worries. As passive as it gets..

Then it finally caught up to me. I realized that I started hating my job. I no longer felt any satisfaction and felt like I was just wasting my life on things I gave zero shits about. Then I started reading books and forums, listening to financial freedom podcasts, had a friend quit his job and start an amazon business and move to SE Asia. But I passively remained in my bitter sweet comfort zone wanting to break free yet not knowing how, even though I could give countless examples to others. Amazon FBA just didn't sit right with me for some reason. Didn't seem like a "serious" choice to me at that time. Anyway, fast forward a few more years. I changed jobs. Went to work at a startup. My salary almost doubled. Yet it added nothing to my fulfilment. I was miserable. And working at a startup did not change my outlook on having a job. In fact I started resenting it more, everything around me. Now this was getting to an unhealthy point.

About 5 months ago I quit my job. It made sense to me. It was actually hard to quit. I liked the people I worked with, there was free booze, ping pong, pool and making new friends. Ironically once I made my decision to quit, and stopped giving a shit about anything, work life became easier, my boss stopped stressing me out and I felt much more free and in control. Go figure. But I can't be lured by these siren calls, so I stuck with my decision and quit. Sold my 2 bedroom house, took my savings. And went to travel the world and try to get things sorted out on what I will do next.

Now the time has come for me to go back home. I know what I want from life a little better now. I am ready to take action. My plan is to come back and get a job. What?!?! Yes, unfortunately that is what happens when you quit your job without a plan. But that is ok! What needs to be done needs to be done. Only temporarily.

So my plan:

1) Find a full time job >.<
Criteria:
- (has to be 5-15 minutes bicycle distance or 40 min or less walking)
- 1 or more work from home days
- No more startups, or crazy work graphics

2) Launch Amazon FBA (about the same time)
- I have around 2-3 months to do this

3) In about half a year to a year, buy a fourplex apt building and move in one of the units
- Will need to do tons of research, but I have all the mobility I want to move anywhere in the US
- Upgrade apt, add value, sell in 2-5 years.

4) Keep growing my business in Amazon, keep growing my real estate portfolio

5) As soon as I have a replacement income for my job, I drop it.

Things that I look forward to:
- I love improving on existing processes and systems. In fact I get a kick out of automating and systematizing something
- Thinking of creative ways to improve products
- Fulfilling my creative drive
- Managing processes, making spreadsheets, or scripts to easily track inventory (automating)
- Fulfilment of having made something of myself and feeling accomplishment, most importantly having it done myself and not having it handed to me on a silver platter
- Not answering to a boss, not being told what to do by someone else, no 9-5 bs
- Going through tough situations and challenges and coming out on top, getting a real feeling that I am learning and growing as a human being

Thank you everyone on here for all the wealth of knowledge and inspiration you have given me! Big thanks to all the AMA and questions you have answered on ecommerce and real estate - @G_Alexander, @biophase, @Walter Hay, @SteveO, . Thanks to @MJ_DEMARCO for creating this forum and community!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Welcome aboard, Alex... and thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful introduction.

So my plan:

1) Find a full time job >.<
Criteria:
- (has to be 5-15 minutes bicycle distance or 40 min or less walking)
- 1 or more work from home days
- No more startups, or crazy work graphics

2) Launch Amazon FBA (about the same time)
- I have around 2-3 months to do this

3) In about half a year to a year, buy a fourplex apt building and move in one of the units
- Will need to do tons of research, but I have all the mobility I want to move anywhere in the US
- Upgrade apt, add value, sell in 2-5 years.

4) Keep growing my business in Amazon, keep growing my real estate portfolio

5) As soon as I have a replacement income for my job, I drop it.

Things that I look forward to:
- I love improving on existing processes and systems. In fact I get a kick out of automating and systematizing something
- Thinking of creative ways to improve products
- Fulfilling my creative drive
- Managing processes, making spreadsheets, or scripts to easily track inventory (automating)
- Fulfilment of having made something of myself and feeling accomplishment, most importantly having it done myself and not having it handed to me on a silver platter
- Not answering to a boss, not being told what to do by someone else, no 9-5 bs
- Going through tough situations and challenges and coming out on top, getting a real feeling that I am learning and growing as a human being

That's an awesome plan you have outlined there.

I hope you'll stick around and share your progress with the community.

Good luck, and God speed in executing your plan!

AlexFS

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 20, 2018
Thank you :)

Definitely will stick around and share my progress once I have something of value. I am in the process of defining my core values, learning about myself in the process after stumbling on this thread. Not Fulfilled? Depressed? Maybe You Need An Alignment

I need a solid foundation and reason why I would start a business or get into real estate, instead of just jumping into something because I want to get away from another thing (having a job) after reading a bunch of success stories, albeit very inspiring ones :D

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome aboard, Alex. Glad you've decided to stop lurking.

Edit: I think finding your why is important, but I would also focus on your unique talents and experiences. Make sure that whatever you do is consistent with who you are and want to be in the future.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...