The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Having to work on your 79th birthday

Anything related to matters of the mind

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
4A495BED-B0D5-41D9-8F00-E4C8EB164AC9.jpeg

Today my family celebrated my grandfathers 79th birthday.

My grandfather is a dairy farmer. His name is John too. Ever since he was 20 he owned his own farm, ran it himself, had employees and hasn’t taken a day off. Every day he gets up at 4 in the morning and takes care of the hundreds of cows they have.

He is the hardest son of a bitch I’ve ever met. His skin is leather. He has more energy for work than I do. Thoroughbred farmer…

But he is not a businessman.

His farm is falling apart. His employees are unreliable. He isn’t making any money, and the farm is doing horribly.

And today, for his 79th birthday, he couldn’t even have his own birthday cake with his family, he was out working because he had no choice.

They are losing money, he is running out of time, and nobody wants to take it over.

And as sad as it is, everybody has a choice.

It’s his fault.

He had his entire life to plan ahead, to make changes, to look ahead at things and adjust, to pivot, to learn and adapt…but he didn’t, and that’s what happens.

Life doesn’t have to be so sad, with these bitter endings.

But you have to be flexible. You have to be hungry, willing to change, willing to try new things, willing to think outside of the box and updating your mind constantly.

So many people don’t step back and think ahead. They don’t visualize where they want to go. They just cruise on lazy autopilot until something bad happens and call it bad luck.

This is no way to live. If someone whips you in the back and makes you work every day for no real pay, it’s slavery. But it’s just fine when you do it to yourself?

Smart people are not actually all that much smarter than others. But wise people are wise a hundred times more than the average person. We all have relatively similar cognitive abilities. The separation is not how sharp we are, or how hard we work, but the quality of our decisions.

The difference between you working 5 hours a week to earn 200k a year and 100 hours a week only to lose money comes down to the quality of your decisions.

I am not that smart. I am not all that hardworking. But I pride myself in making GOOD decisions. Not even genius decisions. Just simple, good ones.

And maybe I’ve got it all wrong. Maybe he loves working and wants to be out there. But the look on my grandmothers face saying that grandpa won’t be able to eat with us and that they don’t know what’s going to happen with the farm…it was a sad time.

But remember you are running out of time. Life is brutal and doesn’t care that you wasted your years.

Make good decisions

Constantly reflect and ask yourself where you’re heading. Is it someplace good? What is your real plan to get there?

In what ways are you having a closed mind?

What habits have you fallen into that are going to keep you from getting better?

Do you grow and learn like a child, or deteriorate and continue on without changing like an old man?

Will you be free and happy with your entire life ahead of you still, or old and working on your 79th birthday?

92F57B9C-FDDD-45DE-B573-2620B12CDA51.jpeg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I don't post nearly enough these days but I will this time around to say that I love this post. Keep it up Johnny, you're killing it.

frenki

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 3, 2020
albania
View attachment 39684

My grandfather is a dairy farmer. His name is John too. Ever since he was 20 he owned his own farm, ran it himself, had employees and hasn’t taken a day off. Every day he gets up at 4 in the morning and takes care of the hundreds of cows they have.

He is the hardest son of a bitch I’ve ever met. His skin is leather. He has more energy for work than I do. Thoroughbred farmer…

His farm is falling apart. His employees are unreliable. He isn’t making any money, and the farm is doing horribly.

And today, for his 79th birthday, he couldn’t even have his own birthday cake with his family, he was out working because he had no choice.

They are losing money, he is running out of time, and nobody wants to take it over.

It’s his fault.

He had his entire life to plan ahead, to make changes, to look ahead at things and adjust, to pivot, to learn and adapt…but he didn’t, and that’s what happens.

But you have to be flexible. You have to be hungry, willing to change, willing to try new things, willing to think outside of the box and updating your mind constantly.

So many people don’t step back and think ahead. They don’t visualize where they want to go. They just cruise on lazy autopilot until something bad happens and call it bad luck.

This is no way to live. If someone whips you in the back and makes you work every day for no real pay, it’s slavery. But it’s just fine when you do it to yourself?

Smart people are not actually all that much smarter than others. But wise people are wise a hundred times more than the average person. We all have relatively similar cognitive abilities. The separation is not how sharp we are, or how hard we work, but the quality of our decisions.

The difference between you working 5 hours a week to earn 200k a year and 100 hours a week only to lose money comes down to the quality of your decisions.

I am not that smart. I am not all that hardworking. But I pride myself in making GOOD decisions. Not even genius decisions. Just simple, good ones.

And maybe I’ve got it all wrong. Maybe he loves working and wants to be out there. But the look on my grandmothers face saying that grandpa won’t be able to eat with us and that they don’t know what’s going to happen with the farm…it was a sad time.

But remember you are running out of time. Life is brutal and doesn’t care that you wasted your years.

Make good decisions

Constantly reflect and ask yourself where you’re heading. Is it someplace good? What is your real plan to get there?

What habits have you fallen into that are going to keep you from getting better?

Do you grow and learn like a child, or deteriorate and continue on without changing like an old man?

Will you be free and happy with your entire life ahead of you still, or old and working on your 79th birthday?

View attachment 39685
Never understood this quote, but now it makes perfect sense!

“In the end, we are our choices.”​

― Jeff Bezos

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Smart people are not actually all that much smarter than others.
But wise people are wise a hundred times more than the average person.

Excellent point.

Most people on this forum are probably around the same raw intelligence level.
It is wisdom that really makes the difference.

Togata

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 22, 2021
It is sad what is happening to your grandfather, but the way you took the story and stepped back to extract a wisdom from it is fascinating.
Thank you for sharing this piece of wisdom with us!
There are rare threads that feels like a slap in the face, and this one clearly falls into the category.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Damn, what a sad story and thanks for sharing.

Sounds like your grandpa could use a Trotman offer.

In the end, I always say there are harder working people than me, as well as smarter. The difference is I leverage my effort in a different system than they do... hence, I get different results.

Kinda like racing...

You can run like hell in your sneakers, but I will beat you with a lessor effort on my bicycle.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
This sucks to hear but this is how 90% of people operate.

It kind of reminds me of my parents and any time I call out to see them.

My father worked his whole life. Broke his balls getting up early every morning for years and all he has now is a smelly government pension to live off.

Prince33

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 9, 2020
Latvia

The situation with your grandpa plus this quote sums up everything well.
As well as my thread on if work ethic really matters.

This proves it.
You can run like hell in your sneakers, but I will beat you with a lessor effort on my bicycle.
Exhibit B.

Bottom line. Your life is literally a sum of your choices. Which is usualy based on your knowledge. So many people are afraid to step outside that comfort zone so like you said they "auto-pilot" life.

Your grandpa is literally the embodiment of what happens when you do that.

I have a grandma, grandpa and Great Aunt all 60+ still working blue collar jobs. My Grandma can barely stand upright and was busting her butt even in her 50s delivering phone books.

I just didnt get it even as a teen in the late 00s. Why do old people put themselves through this? Now I know.

2021 all the elders in my family still working.

Make good choices, execute and sacrifice now for later or you'll be like them. Sad to see, but humans really are that scared of working on something new.

Same reason men and women will peacock and spend hundreds to thousands of dollars to try and impress the opposite sex with clothes, bling, fits and vehicles. When simply getting in the gym will raise their attraction tenfold.

The majority of America is overweight. The majority. Just being NOT overweight puts you in the minority! Think about that. That's the mentality your average human has nowadays. That's how lazy we are now. (myself included till recently)

But that's painful, hard, forces them to change diet, and get out their comfort zone.
"Screw that!"

Alright, end up having to work at 79 then. Old enough to remember JFK alive but still slaving.
Alright, end up pushing 38 and still have no husband prospects 'cause not even you have the confidence in yourself when you see those ROLLS when you get out the shower. Also your eggs are drying up.
Alright, end up being 35 and still not having anything off the ground because you didnt focus on something.

I don't pity people that old in those positions in life anymore. Even in my mid 20s I am responsible for my choices and where I am in life. No way in hell someone 30s 40s plus gets a pass.

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

View attachment 39684

It’s his fault.

Make good decisions

View attachment 39685
Man, I feel for your grandpa.

He is so many of us. He is my grandpa, too, and many members of my family before him.

I hope he had a good birthday and got to see y’all even though he had all that work going on too.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Man, I feel for your grandpa.

He is so many of us. He is my grandpa, too, and many members of my family before him.

I hope he had a good birthday and got to see y’all even though he had all that work going on too.
Thanks. He was happy to see the family and I haven’t seen them in years. It’s nice to update your family and hear they’re proud of you.

Wouter

What do you want to be when you give up?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 6, 2019
Netherlands

Love this.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
My best friend died today. I got the news not long after I read this thread. Best man at my wedding, and I at his. A heart attack took him. He was only 46.

Make good decisions

As I sat with his family, I reflected on the truth in these words.

Especially this one.

Hug your loved ones Fam. Take care of them. Tell them how you feel.

And above all
Make good decisions
this-agree.gif

Thanks for sharing your wisdom today Johnny.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.