The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have an idea for an app. Should I hire or learn programming?

D

Deleted68316

Hey Guys,

I have an idea for an app that could be useful, in my opinion.

It's easy to develop since it has only one function, to begin with.

I don't know if learning to develop it myself (I don't know anything about programming apps, yet) or check on Upwork to see how much people would charge.

Thank you

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kasimir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 4, 2020
Switzerland
Hi mate,
If you have some capital I wouldn't learn to program. Because it takes a while and even then you aren't as good as a professional. Many people will have a different opinion but I wouldn't touch it and focus your time on marketing, sales, etc.
But the biggest question is will your app bring in the money spent on developing it?

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
There’s some great threads from established successful software devs on here but also feel free to view my own previous posts to get a feel for the struggling indie app dev viewpoint... PM me anytime as well if you like. Upwork is the ONLY way I'd outsource as it uses a safe escrow payment method.

Remember app dev is expensive, no matter where you do it and all App devs will overcharge anywhere between double to ten times the amount!

Basic rule of thumb... if it requires a backend (Server) it will be more expensive by an order of magnitude.

Best of luck! :peace:

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hey Guys,

I don't know if learning to develop it myself (I don't know anything about programming apps, yet) or check on Upwork to see how much people would charge.

Thank you
Do both.
Learn just enough about app development on Udemy so that you are able to hire someone and not get scammed.

D

Deleted68316

Do both.
Learn just enough about app development on Udemy so that you are able to hire someone and not get scammed.
Thank you, guys. I think I am going to start with a course on Udemy just to get moving.

Hi mate,
If you have some capital I wouldn't learn to program. Because it takes a while and even then you aren't as good as a professional. Many people will have a different opinion but I wouldn't touch it and focus your time on marketing, sales, etc.
But the biggest question is will your app bring in the money spent on developing it?
I don't have much capital. The app is just something I think can be interesting and useful for me.
It's a way to make sales call more interesting :) and the goal is to increase conversion rate and confidence for those that call.

I don't know if it works. But every time I make cold calls I think about it.

There’s some great threads from established successful software devs on here but also feel free to view my own previous posts to get a feel for the struggling indie app dev viewpoint... PM me anytime as well if you like. Upwork is the ONLY way I'd outsource as it uses a safe escrow payment method.

Remember app dev is expensive, no matter where you do it and all App devs will overcharge anywhere between double to ten times the amount!

Basic rule of thumb... if it requires a backend (Server) it will be more expensive by an order of magnitude.

Best of luck! :peace:

Thank you @Hadrian. I am going to go through your posts.

Enjoy the day ☀️

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thank you, guys. I think I am going to start with a course on Udemy just to get moving.

I don't have much capital. The app is just something I think can be interesting and useful for me.
It's a way to make sales call more interesting :) and the goal is to increase conversion rate and confidence for those that call.

I don't know if it works. But every time I make cold calls I think about it.

Thank you @Hadrian. I am going to go through your posts.

Enjoy the day ☀️
Learning to program can be incredibly frustrating. Simply setting up your development environment is a hassle.

Here's what I'd do: start out with a Udemy course just to get your feet wet, but then hire someone on Upwork overseas that charges $20/hr.

Why that rate? $20/hr overseas is a LOT of money. You'll get someone good.

Don't use them to actually program, though. Use them to ask questions when you get stuck. By doing this, you'll avoid Googling for 5 hours just to figure out how to do something that is common knowledge for a skilled dev. Use them also to advise you on how to structure your program. You don't want to paint yourself into a corner, programming-wise.

You'll need to negotiate with them on their response time and when they would be available to answer questions.

lobo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 20, 2019
If you don't have lots of money to develop your app , you'll need to figure out how to get some or learn to code.

There are some "No-code" apps you can use to build a prototype of your app. It might be smart to do something like that first, maybe test the market to see if theres demand and then start developing it in a real language.

Matake007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 23, 2020
Hey Guys,

Thank you

I think the straightforward answers have been said already. If you have the capital, just pay to get it done right and with min effort on your part. Learn enough to be able to communicate functionality and design.

D

Deleted68316

Learning to program can be incredibly frustrating. Simply setting up your development environment is a hassle.

Here's what I'd do: start out with a Udemy course just to get your feet wet, but then hire someone on Upwork overseas that charges $20/hr.

Don't use them to actually program, though. Use them to ask questions when you get stuck. By doing this, you'll avoid Googling for 5 hours just to figure out how to do something that is common knowledge for a skilled dev. Use them also to advise you on how to structure your program. You don't want to paint yourself into a corner, programming-wise.

You'll need to negotiate with them on their response time and when they would be available to answer questions.
Thank you for the in-depth recommendation.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
I disagree with the advice you received thus far so I will share my 2 cents.

Step 1: Formulate idea
Step 2: Validate idea
Step 3a: If validated, develop MVP
Step 3b: If not validated, find out why and go back to Step 1.

If you skip step 2, you're in for a rude awakening. The truly sad part is that you won't have your awakening until you finish the app development and launch the thing. That will most likely be one year from now.

You're probably wondering, "how do I validate the idea without building it?". There is ALWAYS a way.

Usually it involves interviewing dozens of your prospective customers. Then, build a landing page or mock-up (Step 1). Then try to get actual buy-in from dozens more prospective customers (Step 2).

Read "The Lean Startup". I feel like that book should be required reading to join this forum.

I've done this process 3 times now in the past year. I'm on my third try at the moment. Each time I've gotten better at interviewing, finding out what customers want and finding a way to develop it without custom code. I have learned the hard way to not skip any of the steps above. I am a full-stack software engineer with 8 years of professional experience. I do not recommend writing any code until Step 3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted68316

If you skip step 2, you're in for a rude awakening. The truly sad part is that you won't have your awakening until you finish the app development and launch the thing. That will most likely be one year from now.

You're probably wondering, "how do I validate the idea without building it?". There is ALWAYS a way.

Usually it involves interviewing dozens of your prospective customers. Then, build a landing page or mock-up (Step 1). Then try to get actual buy-in from dozens more prospective customers (Step 2).

Read "The Lean Startup". I feel like that book should be required reading to join this forum.

I've done this process 3 times now in the past year. I'm on my third try at the moment. Each time I've gotten better at interviewing, finding out what customers want and finding a way to develop it without custom code. I have learned the hard way to not skip any of the steps above. I am a full-stack software engineer with 8 years of professional experience. I do not recommend writing any code until Step 3.

Wow, thank you @peterb0yd.

My plan is now that I will try to reproduce the result of the app with the PC (just thought I may be able to do it).

I should only need a music program like Audacity.

If I find it as helpful as I think it is, I will then start to interview people in a way or the other.

Meanwhile, I can also do 1 hour a day of Udemy.

Book added to Audible.

Maybe too many things. First I start to test it by myself anyway.

Thank you

Mike L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Nov 11, 2020
Hey Guys,

Thank you

I picked up programming entirely for this reason. I've hade tons of ideas for many years but could never find anyone to partner up with. I have tons of skilled people around me but non with an entrepreneurial spirit to take it all the way.

I've teamed up with people several times but as soon as things got a little bit tough or boring the progress completely stopped and project pretty much died (it's always exciting the first few weeks/couple of months).

So I hade enough of that and picked up programming. Yes, it will take some time, but once you know it, nothing can stop you from progress. I highly recommend it, just learn enough to prototype ideas can get you a long way. These days you also have frameworks that really helps simplify things and enable you to do multiplatform things on basically the same codebase.

If you can find someone to team up with, that would be faster. But if he quits and it's a joint venture where both have ownership, that puts the project att great risk if an agreement can't be made. I'm all for teaming up with people, but where I live (sweden), skilled people with an entrepreneurial spirit is rare to find. People here are too comfortable with having a job (in my experience).

D

Deleted68316

Hi @Mike L

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, in Europe, where I come from as well is much different.

I recently moved to the USA and noticed that people here believe in creating their own business.

In Europe, it's often seen as a scam. People don't believe in it.

Regarding the app, I understood that what I want to do it cannot be done for physical reasons.

It needs an external device.

So I know came up with a "simple" product that does more or less the same thing.

I am not sure there is a need. But I find it funny. Especially having it in my portfolio of products (I haven't any, yet).

I wish you the best and if you need a contact in the USA, feel free to PM me and I'll try to do as much as I can.

D

Deleted50669

I will second this. I consider myself a skilled dev at this point, and I have had the misfortune of throwing away time at an app with needless complexity that no one wanted. Never write code until your customers have spoken.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I've hade tons of ideas for many years but could never find anyone to partner up with. I have tons of skilled people around me but non with an entrepreneurial spirit to take it all the way.

Welcome to Ireland Mike lol.

App/Software devs are the hot girls at the party these days and finding one ready to leave the Slowlane and commit time, energy and money to a non guaranteed project is a very hard thing to do.

I was at a Google Start up weekend in Dublin and there were about 60 people there but only about 4 devs. One of them came up to me for an idea I pitched for a traffic app and he said I cant believe no-one has made this yet... its brilliant... but he still didnt want to leave the very comfortable software dev slowlane!

Happy to network and share ideas/resources with anyone! iOS only for now!

Mike L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Nov 11, 2020
Hi @Mike L

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, in Europe, where I come from as well is much different.

I recently moved to the USA and noticed that people here believe in creating their own business.

In Europe, it's often seen as a scam. People don't believe in it.

Regarding the app, I understood that what I want to do it cannot be done for physical reasons.

It needs an external device.

So I know came up with a "simple" product that does more or less the same thing.

I am not sure there is a need. But I find it funny. Especially having it in my portfolio of products (I haven't any, yet).

I wish you the best and if you need a contact in the USA, feel free to PM me and I'll try to do as much as I can.
Thanks, appreciate it! And good luck to you!

Mike L

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Nov 11, 2020
Thanks, appreciate it! And good luck to you!
Something that I forgot to mention. As programming can take a while to learn, learning some of the UX prototype tools can be extremely valuable. Like Adobe XD, Figma or sketch. Figma is even free I think. With these you can create mockup UX prototypes really fast and easy. This way you can test your idea for yourself or use as a way to communicate and show your idea. That I think would be the next best thing to programming. Once you get used to them you can create a mockup in minutes or couple of hours.

cheers.

D

Deleted68316

thank you for the recommendation @Mike L.

I learned Figma for webdesign.

Will definitely keep it in mind as a way to test my ideas.

Enjoy the weekend :)

D

Deleted68316

Hi @404profound ,

thank you for sharing the story.

That's something to keep in mind for sure.

At the moment I have set 2 hours a day to sell a software created by people I know.

This means 2 hours of cold calling a day.

Meanwhile, I keep daydreaming about other ideas.

My main goal is to cold call.

Actually, I think that learn to sell is freedom.

Wish you the best.

D

Deleted68316

Hey @Hadrian ,

I guess they are well paid so they prefer to stay comfortable.

I thought that app developers were more frequent.

But based on what has been said in this thread, that skill seems not as saturated as web design, yet.

That's why people charge a lot and they prefer to stay in the slowlane.

Just a thought.

Thank you :)

Product Byte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Nov 13, 2020
Hey Guys,

Thank you
I would like to know more about your current tech skills and background to offer a qualified opinion. But if you have a similar skillset as me - never programmed professionally, but good tech aptitude - I would suggest build an MVP through some no code solution and then move to hiring developers.

Of course this would also depend upon your exact app idea (if it would be feasible for a no code solution to implement it). Also, how much time and energy you have to spare (after a full time day job or other commitments) would also play a part in deciding whether to get into programming yourself.

D

Deleted68316

Hi @Product Byte

Thanks for the answer.

Well, I have a good amount of time recently. I work a little bit but the hourly pay is high.

After having heard the other guys in this thread, I have put aside the app idea.

Also because I discovered that it cannot be done only through an app.

I thought it was something really simple, but there is a physical obstacle.

Now I am selling a software for a European company. I am not paid if not with a commission when I sell.

But I don't care. I am learning sales. I am F*cking stretching myself.

Meanwhile, I have another project where I am working for free as well.

It's for a friend of mine that is helping me with the most important things (house and documents).

What do you do? What is your focus in this period?

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
If you don't have lots of money to develop your app , you'll need to figure out how to get some or learn to code.

There are some "No-code" apps you can use to build a prototype of your app. It might be smart to do something like that first, maybe test the market to see if theres demand and then start developing it in a real language.
IMO a lot more people need to be working on "no code" solutions. Even as an expert programmer with an ability to produce working systems very quickly, I think no-code solutions are the way to go or at least the best way to get started almost all of the time.

Whatever you're trying to do, try do it with just a spreadsheet first, or AirTable, maybe you need Zapier, maybe you can use Trello and some integreations, etc. Most apps are not that unique.

amzu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 15, 2020
Hey Guys,

Thank you
Not sure if you have executed this, I am new to the forum and saw you are on same state as me.
I come from dev background and in IT for 20+ years worked all over the world and Now live in the UK. As of lockdown I started to learn web and app development, but now thinking of outsourcing it as I have done few screw designs for an app idea.
Upwork is good, I have an agreement to provide development work for me from a company based in India. They can develop whole tinder in 4 months in iOS and Android for less than $15k, since I am a developer by heart I did lot of research and found them to be good and all work they do are under my control.
Anyway best of luck with the idea. I will first intro myself in a separate thread. If you need any help feel free to contact me, I extend my help as a fellow member not as a business, so I won’t charge anything.

D

Deleted68316

IMO a lot more people need to be working on "no code" solutions. Even as an expert programmer with an ability to produce working systems very quickly, I think no-code solutions are the way to go or at least the best way to get started almost all of the time.

Whatever you're trying to do, try do it with just a spreadsheet first, or AirTable, maybe you need Zapier, maybe you can use Trello and some integreations, etc. Most apps are not that unique.
Interesting. Thank you for your answer.

stefanoesposito

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Feb 8, 2019
Naples, Italy

That's a great advice

Kraelog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Sep 17, 2015
My 2 cents as a Software Dev:

Wanting to build/order an app with zero IT knowledge is the equivalent of wanting to have a custom car designed with the description to the builder "cool iron box that moves".

Most likely you will spent an ungodly amount of money and in the end you have something which is completely different from what you imagined.

If you want IT/code to be the cornerstone of your entrepreneurial venture, you need to have a deep understanding of both.

D

Deleted78083

The book "Start from zero" by Dane Maxwell explains how to build SaaS and tech products with zero coding experience. Basically the guy says "sell your idea before you build it, and build it with the money of your sales".

The book was weirdly written, but that idea ain't bad actually.

Bruno11

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 18, 2020
Sydney
check out bubble.io ( think shopify for no- code)

you can build pretty much anything in terms of MVPs or most advanced apps(stuff like twitter, airbnb) can be built in a week for a rough prototype. if you need it to be a phone “app” you can wrap the app and connect it to different APIS.If f it takes off you can always get the app re-written in a native language If you don‘t wanna continue with no-code platforms

don’t waste your time learning programming beyond the basics, it takes years to master and those masters make their shitty apps after years just to compete on product hunt for top 100 spot cause the market is so saturated with ”great ideas”

Natbros2020

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 21, 2020
Something that I forgot to mention. As programming can take a while to learn, learning some of the UX prototype tools can be extremely valuable. Like Adobe XD, Figma or sketch. Figma is even free I think. With these you can create mockup UX prototypes really fast and easy. This way you can test your idea for yourself or use as a way to communicate and show your idea. That I think would be the next best thing to programming. Once you get used to them you can create a mockup in minutes or couple of hours.

cheers.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.