The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hated His Job at 40, Bought A Business, Now Nearly A Billionaire

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

DeletedUser0287

Perfect example of why it’s a good idea to not just JUMP into something but to work in the market (even if that means buying the company) and identify the new opportunities or needs (areas to create value) from that previous experience - which is how he launched his mixer business.
What? That is exactly what this guy did. He just jumped in with no knowledge and taught himself. Probably would have been better to read up first before purchasing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Would you have read it without that title?

Yes, unfortunately Marketwatch uses ALL click-baity titles. When someone goes from job to near-billionaire, I know instantly a Fastlane was involved, not "invest in an indexed-fund" nonsense.

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
Where did you get 500,000 Pounds to just buy it outright?

Edit: I could easily do the same thing this guy could if I had money like that.
Could be his savings. Also this guy is no ordinary guy. He was a mining engineer, once launched an exercise bike business and then became a consultant.

You could buy the same business but turn it into a 28 million pound from a nearly broke 500,000 pound business, i don't think it's easy.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Where did you get 500,000 Pounds to just buy it outright?

Edit: I could easily do the same thing this guy could if I had money like that.

well, if you have the skills to take a 500,000 pound business and grow that, why can’t you buy a $5000 business and grow that as well.

The scale of the purchase should not dictate your ability to transform an underperforming business into an out performing business. The principle is identical for both.

I see all the time, people use not having large amounts of capital as an excuse to not start a business, or in this case buy a business.

Work at whatever scale you are capable of working from right now. Find something that is within your reach, work within that, gain skills, parlay that into something bigger.

In fact, I have found quite the opposite. It is almost more impairing to have too much capital when starting a business, because people do not learn how to be lean and efficient. They try to solve all of their problems by spending money, not by developing systems and processes that often would cost little or no money to begin with.

Starting lean and mean is probably the single-handed greatest benefit that A start up has compared to a larger company. You can actually get profitable faster because your revenue isn’t consumed by needless expense. Of course a large Corp can run negative on a side project for years, but the hungry startup has the drive and passion of urgency behind it.

MoneyHacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Dec 5, 2018
Somewhere in Asia
This reminds me of an article i read recently, this guy has most of the things mentioned in that article: Land of the “Super Founders“— A Data-Driven Approach to Uncover the Secrets of Billion Dollar Startups.

Some key takeaways:
1. The “Super Founders” of Yesterday Create the Billion Dollar Companies of Today: One that founded a successful business in the past has more chance to create a Billion Dollar Company later in life.

2. More than Half of the Founding CEOs Are Over 35 Years Old: Yeah, It's true.

3. 50% Have Over 10 Years of Work Experience: General work experience, not the specific domain one.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
What? That is exactly what this guy did. He just jumped in with no knowledge and taught himself. Probably would have been better to read up first before purchasing.

Catch 22 I guess. Once he was in the market, he was able to identify other opportunities such as the mixer business. But he no doubt took that first leap knowing nothing. Pretty inspiring, and ballsy.

ahartley

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jan 15, 2018
Lewis Center, OH
I'll be 42 in 3 days... age has never been something that has bothered me, but it DOES make me wish I had started earlier (not that I can't be "successful" due to my age, but that I could be SO. MUCH. FURTHER. if I had started at a younger age).

Thanks for the link, @MJ DeMarco !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.