The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hated His Job at 40, Bought A Business, Now Nearly A Billionaire

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A great story despite the click-baity title.

Lots of awesome takeaways, from getting started older in life, to productocracies, to buying a struggling business and turning it around, to domain experience in an industry, to reading books to figure out solutions.

It's everything I ramble on about!!

Enjoy!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wouter

What do you want to be when you give up?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 6, 2019
Netherlands
Great read! Actually discovered their tonics this year and I think they're great, they sell them at my local supermarket. As a tonic aficionado, I have yet to find a tonic I like better...

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What's interesting is that one of the investors in Plymouth Gin was Richard Koch, the author of The 80/20 Principle. He shares some cool details about it in his book The Star Principle.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
Some major takeaways here:

- You can become an industry expert in your field through learning on your own (mostly free resources at that!)
- Age is just a number
- Happiness is the end goal. Even at age 40 he knew he was still unhappy and he decided to do something about it.
- If you are not innovating, you will die.
- Look for old products that are stuck in the traditions and have not seen major changes in the last hundred years and find ways to innovate.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
I sell a considerable amount of FeverTree products.

They're well made at every step of the way. The bottle fits well in the hand, is very nice looking and is durable enough to not shatter into pieces when dropped most of the time.

You can readily taste the quality of care that goes into ingredient selection and manufacturing process. They taste crisp, clean and don't carry any harsh lingering after tastes. Try one of the popular brands of ginger beer in your country then have a Fever Tree ginger beer. It's like comparing a beater Mazda to a Tesla.

It's 2-3 times more than cheap alternatives, and it outsells any other brand we carry by a massive margin.

High quality bars refuse the alternatives when stocked out.

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Thanks for sharing MJ, what a great story!

Im currently 26 and so many times I let myself get blinded by others around me and the stories I hear:

"Have you heard? The co-founders from xyz startup just got Series A funding worth 5 million dollars and they're only 22 years old. Omg yeah, I heard he declined Harvard to found that company."

"Did you know that Martin is CEO of a company that manages over 100 employees and hes only 21? What a go getter!"

I have to admit, everytime I hear stories like this, I look back and reflect at my own life.

I realize that I have wasted a lot of time until I was around 21-22, thats when I really started turning things around. I often feel regret and wish I had started earlier. But so what? Its still so much time to come!

This story is just another proof that it is never too late to start, no matter your age, and its always worth embarking on the journey of entrepreneurship!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Never heard of the guy’s company and no sooner than 2 hours later I see his product in Costco! I bought some to check it out.

BDB92B34-D56C-4504-87D0-9E2FAD5A07F4.jpeg

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Thanks for sharing MJ, what a great story!

Im currently 26 and so many times I let myself get blinded by others around me and the stories I hear:

"Have you heard? The co-founders from xyz startup just got Series A funding worth 5 million dollars and they're only 22 years old. Omg yeah, I heard he declined Harvard to found that company."

"Did you know that Martin is CEO of a company that manages over 100 employees and hes only 21? What a go getter!"

I have to admit, everytime I hear stories like this, I look back and reflect at my own life.

I realize that I have wasted a lot of time until I was around 21-22, thats when I really started turning things around. I often feel regret and wish I had started earlier. But so what? Its still so much time to come!

This story is just another proof that it is never too late to start, no matter your age, and its always worth embarking on the journey of entrepreneurship!
Success stories are always amazing to hear, but you have to remember you are not them and they are not you.

Comparing yourself to them will just slow you down. Their story doesn't define you. You are free to define your own story, success is never the same for anybody. Focus on your own path and be the next story that others look up to.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I’ve thought one has to be <35y to have a chance at being successful. I was wrong!
i was waiting for that... as soon as i opened the thread i searched the text for '35' and boom, came right up

simplymoto

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 21, 2019
Most successful startups are run by people older than 30, even in 40s and 50s. We love to hear the Mark Zug 22 yo genius story, but truth is there are more successful people in the later years.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
A cat doesn’t care if a 16 yr old or a 60 yr is holding its tuna.

Age becomes an excuse when someone’s offer or execution sucks.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2018
Never heard of the guy’s company and no sooner than 2 hours later I see his product in Costco! I bought some to check it out.

View attachment 27625

Ha...as an example, when you buy a car and "all of a sudden" you see a bunch of "your car" on the road. It's feels like a subliminal thing sometimes or power of suggestion. Either way...that's too much/funny.

HelpAndProsper

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 1, 2018
Boston
Most successful startups are run by people older than 30, even in 40s and 50s. We love to hear the Mark Zug 22 yo genius story, but truth is there are more successful people in the later years.
I read somewhere that most most very successful business people make it BIG in their 40s or 50s.....I am 45, financially free/independent, but I'm currently trying to start some kind of business myself. It's never too late really.....There are people in their 60's who start businesses and make it big.

Walterbl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 23, 2018
That was a great read. Impressive how he managed to improve a product he knew absolutely nothing about.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
A great story despite the click-baity title.

Lots of awesome takeaways, from getting started older in life, to productocracies, to buying a struggling business and turning it around, to domain experience in an industry, to reading books to figure out solutions.

It's everything I ramble on about!!

Enjoy!

Would you have read it without that title?

Title is what got me to click on this post.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
This guy should write a book about his journey.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
Age is just a number. What fundamentally would make it easier for a 26-year-old to succeed then a 46-year-old.

The difference is that at 26, many people do not have established patterns or habits. By the time people reach their early to mid 40s, many have deeply established patterns and habits, and refused to make changes.

However, look at many serial entrepreneur who create new businesses throughout their lives. They have no problem creating new businesses at the age of 40, 50, 60, and even 70.

Why is that? Because their patterns and rituals are centered around continual learning, developing, and looking for new opportunities. They are used to starting new enterprises, and so they continue to do it at every age.

I started my first business when I was 12 installing sprinkler systems - I made $7000 over the summer which at the time seem like a ton of money. My second business I started when I was 19, my third business when I was 24, my fourth business when I was 28. Then my fifth business when I was 41. I just started my most recent and six business at the age of 44

Each time I have startEd a new business, the process has been the same. It involves avid learning, experimenting, excepting failures, and creating systems and efficiency. There is nothing about age that prevent you from doing any of this. You just have to be willing to step out of your box, try new things, accept risk, and work through the small failures that happen along the way to achieve success.

The only thing that changes with age, is that many people become set in their ways, and lose the driving curiosity to learn and adapt. If you can overcome those, you can succeed at any age.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
Great story.

Was curious about the product since I'm in love with tonic water since like forever, but different brands became to sweet for my taste over the years. Found Fevertree at my local drinks market as sort of a "try them" package with a "nice" pricetag of around 8,58 $ per liter :)

Attachments

• Unbenannt-1.jpg
    Unbenannt-1.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 18

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
“Fortunately, I knew nothing,” says Rolls. “Sometimes it’s an advantage not to know anything about a business. I had no relevant experience.”

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
Perfect example of why it’s a good idea to not just JUMP into something but to work in the market (even if that means buying the company) and identify the new opportunities or needs (areas to create value) from that previous experience - which is how he launched his mixer business.

D

DeletedUser0287

Where did you get 500,000 Pounds to just buy it outright?

Edit: I could easily do the same thing this guy could if I had money like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.