The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Has anyone overcome "Competent Self Destruction" as described in Unscripted?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Hyperion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 28, 2019
In Part 5 in the book "Unscripted " MJ talks about the 5 unions, or ingredients in order to succeed in the fastlane. I identified strongly with lacking the ingredient of competent self destruction. Has anyone else faced this hurdle and overcome it? Do others out there also identify with this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dkostadinov01

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
May 31, 2019
Something that has gotten me out of this is letting go of the trauma energy from the past. Instead of telling you to watch 500 videos or redirect you somewhere, let me explain it to you like this the concept is very easy. If in the past you have blamed yourself for something you thought was wrong or something else(it can be any reason). For an example, at the age of 10 you experienced a trauma and it wasn't directly your fault, but, at the age of 10 you couldn't yet make the difference and it stays then with you until you release it. Aka you feel this stuff man. Only you can know what is holding you back, listen to your emotions, accept them completely and they will disappear. This is one of the reasons so many girls date assholes, they've been cheated on in the past and find the recurring pattern all over again until they let go of the trauma. Feel it in your body not in your mind, accept it completely and let it go. It's a pretty new concept even to science, but it has worked wonders for me, trauma energy stops from forming your new and stronger self is the best way to describe it. If you have any questions, ask.

I'm talking about self sabotage. In my opinion if you feel competent you probably are, the sabotage is the real culprit.

Another one that might be linked to this thread is you have on identity that isn't yours. It works in the exact same way as described for the trauma energy. If you have watched Hercules and you will find yourself feeling good acting as Hercules(no matter how self-destructively you aim for your doom), and all other ways of living completely blocked.

Tip: You'd think that after you'd let go of the trauma energy you would feel the same negative emotions or nothing at all. For me it has brought me to my natural state as a child(zero self-sabotage), which makes the process much easier and not scary at all.

It can be very scary to accept yourself or understand this concept even if you have watched 500 videos.
One strong why was all that was needed to is getting me through(the process is long and you find more and more things to let go of, by letting go of thoughts you allow emotions to flow - therefore comes being) and that is: Did I come this far just to fail?

Last edited:

Hyperion

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 28, 2019
Something that has gotten me out of this is letting go of the trauma energy from the past. Instead of telling you to watch 500 videos or redirect you somewhere, let me explain it to you like this the concept is very easy. If in the past you have blamed yourself for something you thought was wrong or something else(it can be any reason). For an example, at the age of 10 you experienced a trauma and it wasn't directly your fault, but, at the age of 10 you couldn't yet make the difference and it stays then with you until you release it. Aka you feel this stuff man. Only you can know what is holding you back, listen to your emotions, accept them completely and they will disappear. This is one of the reasons so many girls date assholes, they've been cheated on in the past and find the recurring pattern all over again until they let go of the trauma. Feel it in your body not in your mind, accept it completely and let it go. It's a pretty new concept even to science, but it has worked wonders for me, trauma energy stops from forming your new and stronger self is the best way to describe it. If you have any questions, ask.

I'm talking about self sabotage. In my opinion if you feel competent you probably are, the sabotage is the real culprit.

Another one that might be linked to this thread is you have on identity that isn't yours. It works in the exact same way as described for the trauma energy. If you have watched Hercules and you will find yourself feeling good acting as Hercules(no matter how self-destructively you aim for your doom), and all other ways of living completely blocked.

Tip: You'd think that after you'd let go of the trauma energy you would feel the same negative emotions or nothing at all. For me it has brought me to my natural state as a child(zero self-sabotage), which makes the process much easier and not scary at all.

It can be very scary to accept yourself or understand this concept even if you have watched 500 videos.
One strong why was all that was needed to is getting me through(the process is long and you find more and more things to let go of, by letting go of thoughts you allow emotions to flow - therefore comes being) and that is: Did I come this far just to fail?

Thanks a lot for posting this! What you're saying makes sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your wisdom. I'll work on just accepting the self-doubt and moving forward regardless. I hope some day, after getting through this, I'll have the wisdom to help someone overcome this type of thing as well. Thanks for the encouragement!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In Part 5 in the book "Unscripted " MJ talks about the 5 unions, or ingredients in order to succeed in the fastlane. I identified strongly with lacking the ingredient of competent self destruction. Has anyone else faced this hurdle and overcome it? Do others out there also identify with this?

In case anyone is wondering that he is referring to...

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I have seen this pattern of behavior over and over again. We usually call it "self-defeating" rather than self-destructive. Self-destructive is a person hell-bent on killing themselves. Sometimes they are on the slow train of bad behavior (drugs, liquor, etc) and sometimes they do it quickly with a final act of suicide.

Self-defeating is the guy who shoots himself in his foot when he gets everything going for himself. Most of the time he doesn't feel worthy of his success, so he compulsively and impulsively blows it up. And he's usually really mad at the guy who got him started on that path. His friends reject him and make fun of him because he no longer fits into their group. It's lonely out there all by himself and it takes time to make a new set of friends. He's no longer comfortable inside his skin. Change is usually painful. He must look into every corner of his life because nothing fits anymore. That includes his paradigm -- his point of view on the world.

Last edited:

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
The Body Keeps the Score, by Bessel van der Kolk, is one of the best books around to understand, treat, and self-treat trauma.

Last edited:

dkostadinov01

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
May 31, 2019
The Body Keeps the Score, by Bessel van der Kolk, is one of the best books around to understand, treat, and self-treat trauma.
Read 3 chapters of this book and is a complete mess.
Can you make an tldr of how anything he says works and is useful?
He really just gave reports of some researches and drug abuse.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Read 3 chapters of this book and is a complete mess.
Can you make an tldr of how anything he says works and is useful?
He really just gave reports of some researches and drug abuse.
OK, stay tuned.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.