The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From self-destruction to recovery

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
Hi All, I’m James from the UK and it's great to be here!

Four years ago, I was sleeping in my car, divorced, £70,000 in debt, lying to all my friends and family, and on the verge of doing something stupid that would have likely landed me in jail. The story of what got me there was a long one, and the short version is that I started investing in financial markets, then transitioned to trading, before (initially without even realising it) transitioning to out and out gambler on the markets. I basically developed a full-on gambling addiction to trading (betting) on financial markets, and in the process lost 2 houses, £100k in savings, and gained £70k in debt! Sounds ridiculous I know, but I guess you had to be there to fully understand how someone could be so stupid! Addiction is a powerful thing though – but be under no illusion, I took and take 100% responsibility for what happened and where I ended up. I am not one of those “I was addicted, poor me” kind of people.

Fair to say the last few years have been about recovery and then rebuilding. Pleased with my progress – now living in a nice house with the girlfriend of my dreams, debt free and with £12k so far saved up towards my future entrepreneurial dreams.

Until the divorce (and subsequent gambling addiction) my life was going pretty well, but it was the classic scripted life, and although I was a hard worker when it came to work, was often falling for the “shortcut scam” when it came to making money and building wealth. Subconsciously I was looking for the easy way out of corporate life.

One common theme throughout my working life has been that I’ve been lucky enough to have jobs that I “enjoy”, but have NEVER felt truly empowered or fulfilled to the extent I know is possible, and have ALWAYS despised, even if I often buried the feelings, working for someone else’s dream. My current job does give me quite a bit of autonomy in the sense that I work from home one or two days a week, and even the other three or four days I get to make my own diary. As job’s go, it’s definitely a good one for me, but still not enough, or the way I want to live the rest of my life. The short moments I have to work with colleagues, all I see are people dead behind the eyes, a sea of mediocrity and dreams dying, and I hate to see and be part of it.

I’m here to continue learning and hopefully be in a position to add value to others.

Love MJ’s books, Unscripted is I think the best book I’ve ever read on both life and entrepreneurship.

Working very hard at continuing to improve my life in every area, including my beliefs and insecurities which have definitely held me back in the past. But now I’m only focused on the present and the future. Thank you, and thanks MJ for gifting two incredible books to the world!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Welcome James. Companies prey on the human capacity for addiction and if we fall into the trap it’s very difficult to pull ourselves out again. Well done on making such a recovery. I have nothing but admiration for you being able to turn your life around after such a handicap.

Hopefully, with the aid of this forum, you will become addicted to building a value based business that will take you to new heights.

Look forward to your contributions.

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
Welcome James. Companies prey on the human capacity for addiction and if we fall into the trap it’s very difficult to pull ourselves out again. Well done on making such a recovery. I have nothing but admiration for you being able to turn your life around after such a handicap.

Hopefully, with the aid of this forum, you will become addicted to building a value based business that will take you to new heights.

Look forward to your contributions.
Thank you so much for your kind message. Thankfully the only thing I'm addicted to now is self improvement and competing with myself, so I will certainly be channeling that into a value based business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Vegvisir

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jun 17, 2019
North Dakota
I heard Joe Rogan say something that resonated with me once that might be applicable in this situation.

“I love a success story, but even more than a success story; I like a dude who F*cks his life up and gets his life together again story.” – Joe Rogan

I've been there man, stick with it and as time passes you'll find yourself moving closer into the life you envision for yourself.

James007Hill

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Sep 29, 2019
I heard Joe Rogan say something that resonated with me once that might be applicable in this situation.

“I love a success story, but even more than a success story; I like a dude who F*cks his life up and gets his life together again story.” – Joe Rogan

I've been there man, stick with it and as time passes you'll find yourself moving closer into the life you envision for yourself.
Thanks for the message of support and great quote from Joe Rogan, definitely resonates with me too!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Hi James. James Hill. 007.

Sometimes life leaves us Shaken AND Stirred.

Your share I think allows many of us to count our blessings. Sometimes we are challenged with hurdles but others Mountains.

We all take gambles every day in some capacity but no reason to increase the odds of only enriching others at our peril.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...