The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hard Money Loans

iiinvisi0n

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 25, 2007
Does anybody here have any direct experience with hard money loans on purchases of multifamily properties with 100+ units?

I have a few properties that are ripe with opportunity, and have a less than desireable credit score. Im also new to the business so Im willing to forgo the higher interest rate on properties that are producing substantial positive cashflow, in order to make a name for myself as a successful entrepreneur.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't want to sound negative or discouraging but.... there are no loans of this nature.

Hard money loans for 100+ multi-family will be geared toward seasoned investors. The loan to value will likely be 65% or less. These loans will be short term in nature and will expect to have some level of rehab or repositioning.

Anyone with a performing property will be asking market value. Below market value properties will have something wrong with them that needs to be fixed. Lots of people with money at risk have already attempted to right the ship. Usually they have run out of money or the market turned on them.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 1, 2008
I talked to one "businessman" who wants to borrow money at 100% interest rate. He says that in California there is no limit on hard money loans. Is he trying to scam people..?thanks

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
You need lots of cash to play in that league.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
I don't want to sound negative or discouraging but.... there are no loans of this nature.

Hard money loans for 100+ multi-family will be geared toward seasoned investors. The loan to value will likely be 65% or less. These loans will be short term in nature and will expect to have some level of rehab or repositioning.

Anyone with a performing property will be asking market value. Below market value properties will have something wrong with them that needs to be fixed. Lots of people with money at risk have already attempted to right the ship. Usually they have run out of money or the market turned on them.

That doesn't mean you can't invent them:). As far as I know, at least in Sweden, usury is rather hard to define. Isn't that so? I haven't found a single law that clearly defines what usury is in exact terms. Just vague descriptions. I can't speak for USA of course. But I would pretty much assume the same thing for you.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Usury is very well defined in the US.

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
Usury is very well defined in the US.

I can see the reason for usury laws but have always felt that the reward should be proportional to the risk and there are certainly lending 'opportunities' out there that I wouldn't touch.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Well you can always go outside the law, go to the Mafia. But if you don't pay they won't just bother you with phone calls...oh no...Tony will pay a personal visit and remove a finger or something.:Guillotine: Unlike banks they will collect...

White8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Dec 6, 2007
Salem, OR
Well you can always go outside the law, go to the Mafia. But if you don't pay they won't just bother you with phone calls...oh no...Tony will pay a personal visit and remove a finger or something.:Guillotine: Unlike banks they will collect...

I've also seen some non mafia lenders with some big teeth. A local attorney had his license suspend for a year on an ethics violation after failing to make reasonable effort to pay a debt to a local businessman with deep pockets and close ties to the Oregon Bar. A lawyer with no license doesn't have much of a chance of making a living.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Oh yeah, lots of big fish out their you don't want to piss off. Pissing people off is not a good way to stay in business.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.