The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

guilty conscience about selling my car

1320Trader

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
I'm trying to sell my car and I took it to the dealership to see what they would give me. So they asked me if it had been in an accident. I said "yes, the front bumper had to be replaced and painted" and I told them it was around $1,800 for the repair. Honestly though, I started thinking about the accident more after I left and a few expensive parts behind the bumper were replaced (intercooler and oil cooler) and a majority of the car was repainted. I went home and looked over my repair and it was closer to $5,500 (paintwork was $1,800). Should I disclose this information and probably hurt the price quote they gave me. Could I be sued for fraud? Am I thinking to much into this? Should I just take my money and run? Am I a bad person? I would of disclosed this info to a private party but I figured the dealer would look into the vehicle more....they just did a quick walk around on it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How would you feel if someone did this to you? Roles were reversed? You were the dealer? Answer that question and you should have your own answer.

1320Trader

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
yeah....I think I would feel worse about not being honest than the loss of additional money.

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
yeah....I think I would feel worse about not being honest than the loss of additional money.

Although Mike's points are valid disclousing stuff like that to a dealer could hurt you when they estimate what they give you for a trade number and they will most definitly bring it up during negociations. Haveing some experience in buying and selling cars I can tell you that all they are going to do with your car is try to get it for even less that what wholesale value is and then send it through the auction where you do not need to disclose this kind of info and get ALL the money for it making thier profit on what they sell you even more than it originally would have been.

1320Trader

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Yeah I understand that....I'm not buying a car from them though. To give you some more info, this dealer offered me 24k and Carmax did a in depth inspection and found this info....they offered me 19k.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Although then again, having an opportunity to SCREW a used car dealer is appealing. :smash:

Seriously, your integrity is what you do when no one is watching.

8 SNAKE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 15, 2007
Midwest
Personally, I'd disclose the info to the dealer because I'd sleep better at night. However, I don't think the value of your car should change much (if any) when you show the dealership the paperwork you have for the repairs. They already know that the car has been in an accident, so I assume they've accounted for that in their initial offer. If you were talking about the difference between a replacement bumper and a frame straightening it would be different, but in this case I don't see much reason to change the offer.

1320Trader

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Update: The dealer took it for 24k. They seemed delighted to have it for that. Sooo.... :banana: with a

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Update: The dealer took it for 24k. They seemed delighted to have it for that. Sooo.... :banana: with a

I'm not clear on this.... did they know the true cost of the repair?

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Does the phrase "buyer beware" not apply to sleezy used car places? In any case, I probably would have told the truth if they called me back about it. Otherwise, it was an accident and the car is probably worth what they paid for it. :smxA:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Indeed..."Peanut Butter Jelly Time with a baseball bat" my friend. :banana:

At least you learned that you are a decent human being and have a conscious. ...It's nice to see others out there (who are in the fast track) do too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.