• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

OFF-TOPIC guilty conscience about selling my car

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by 1320Trader, Aug 23, 2007.

1. 1320Trader

1320Trader New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $77
    I'm trying to sell my car and I took it to the dealership to see what they would give me. So they asked me if it had been in an accident. I said "yes, the front bumper had to be replaced and painted" and I told them it was around $1,800 for the repair. Honestly though, I started thinking about the accident more after I left and a few expensive parts behind the bumper were replaced (intercooler and oil cooler) and a majority of the car was repainted. I went home and looked over my repair and it was closer to $5,500 (paintwork was $1,800). Should I disclose this information and probably hurt the price quote they gave me. Could I be sued for fraud? Am I thinking to much into this? Should I just take my money and run? Am I a bad person? I would of disclosed this info to a private party but I figured the dealer would look into the vehicle more....they just did a quick walk around on it.

2. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $365,367
    Admin Post
    How would you feel if someone did this to you? Roles were reversed? You were the dealer? Answer that question and you should have your own answer.

2 people like this.
  3. 1320Trader

Rep Bank:
    $77
    yeah....I think I would feel worse about not being honest than the loss of additional money.

1 person likes this.
  4. AJGlobal

AJGlobal Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $114
    Although Mike's points are valid disclousing stuff like that to a dealer could hurt you when they estimate what they give you for a trade number and they will most definitly bring it up during negociations. Haveing some experience in buying and selling cars I can tell you that all they are going to do with your car is try to get it for even less that what wholesale value is and then send it through the auction where you do not need to disclose this kind of info and get ALL the money for it making thier profit on what they sell you even more than it originally would have been.

5. 1320Trader

Rep Bank:
    $77
    Yeah I understand that....I'm not buying a car from them though. To give you some more info, this dealer offered me 24k and Carmax did a in depth inspection and found this info....they offered me 19k.

1 person likes this.
  6. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $365,367
    Admin Post
    Although then again, having an opportunity to SCREW a used car dealer is appealing. :smash:

Seriously, your integrity is what you do when no one is watching.

7. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $75
    Personally, I'd disclose the info to the dealer because I'd sleep better at night. However, I don't think the value of your car should change much (if any) when you show the dealership the paperwork you have for the repairs. They already know that the car has been in an accident, so I assume they've accounted for that in their initial offer. If you were talking about the difference between a replacement bumper and a frame straightening it would be different, but in this case I don't see much reason to change the offer.

1 person likes this.
  8. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $75
    Your integrity is also something that no one can take away from you, but that you can never buy back.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. 1320Trader

Rep Bank:
    $77
    Update: The dealer took it for 24k. They seemed delighted to have it for that. Sooo.... :banana: with a

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Be in the Moment Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,695
    I'm not clear on this.... did they know the true cost of the repair?

11. JesseO

JesseO Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $97
    Does the phrase "buyer beware" not apply to sleezy used car places? In any case, I probably would have told the truth if they called me back about it. Otherwise, it was an accident and the car is probably worth what they paid for it. :smxA:

12. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,708
    Indeed..."Peanut Butter Jelly Time with a baseball bat" my friend. :banana:

At least you learned that you are a decent human being and have a conscious. ...It's nice to see others out there (who are in the fast track) do too.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.