The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Greetings!

Naja H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
Hey all!

Well, I graduated from college in 2009 and have as yet to find employment. Obviously my student loans are in forbearance and bills are late. I recently moved to Atlanta and was working contract until the company let me go, forcing me to move back home again at 25 and back to NJ.

I don't mind as I know everything happens for a reason.

I have had a number of jobs in the past and am never happy doing one thing and someday dream of owning my own business! I want to set my own hours and work for myself. I have a LIST of ideas and never put them to action. I usually write them down and never elaborate on them. This has been happening since I was 16.

Well, when I move back home I am definitely ready for a fresh start and to work my way towards success! I hope this forum offers words of wisdom and insight.

Naja

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Welcome Naja. What has been your area of professional experience and education? What are your ares of interest in business?

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
I don't mind as I know everything happens for a reason.

You are the biggest reason for your own situation.

I hope this forum offers words of wisdom and insight.

It certainly does. Have a look around, check out the stickies. Find the 2011 goals thread and do thread, in that order. Be sure to read through the entire goals thread, but it isn't necessary to read past the first post in the do thread.

I have a LIST of ideas and never put them to action. I usually write them down and never elaborate on them. This has been happening since I was 16.

Awesome. Then you already have something to work with, or at least the experience in coming up with ideas. Plus you already know the two things holding you back.

Welcome to the Fastlane, I look forward to your success.

Naja H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
Greetings: Reply

Hi Runum! I have a BS in Finance and Business Administration. My contract employment experience has been in financial research but I have worked over 7 years customer service at different stores/hotels/restaurants, etc.! Which makes me a pretty good seller (I suppose)!

I changed my mind about majoring in Finance my Junior year, but didn't want to switch majors becaue I thought it was too late. So I focused my extra energy on studying art in my spare time. I plan to go back to school this summer at Rutger's to study Art History, and open an art gallery in New Orleans, which is where I studied Finance. But thats a long term goal I have set for myself. By perhaps 30.

I am very much interested in starting a freelance administration business when I move back home next month. I figure the start up costs will be low. And I will be able to work around my study schedule, etc.

Investments would probably be another interest of mine. Long and short term, of course!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hello Naja! Your situation sounds oh so familiar ... degreed and educated, but no job ... what a perfect storm for entrepreneurship.

Naja H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
You are the biggest reason for your own situation.

It certainly does. Have a look around, check out the stickies. Find the 2011 goals thread and do thread, in that order. Be sure to read through the entire goals thread, but it isn't necessary to read past the first post in the do thread.

Awesome. Then you already have something to work with, or at least the experience in coming up with ideas. Plus you already know the two things holding you back.

Welcome to the Fastlane, I look forward to your success.

Thank you very much Justin for your advice!

I will definitely start to check out the stickies right NOW!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hi Runum! I have a BS in Finance and Business Administration. My contract employment experience has been in financial research but I have worked over 7 years customer service at different stores/hotels/restaurants, etc.! Which makes me a pretty good seller (I suppose)!

I changed my mind about majoring in Finance my Junior year, but didn't want to switch majors becaue I thought it was too late. So I focused my extra energy on studying art in my spare time. I plan to go back to school this summer at Rutger's to study Art History, and open an art gallery in New Orleans, which is where I studied Finance. But thats a long term goal I have set for myself. By perhaps 30.

I am very much interested in starting a freelance administration business when I move back home next month. I figure the start up costs will be low. And I will be able to work around my study schedule, etc.

Investments would probably be another interest of mine. Long and short term, of course!

Thanks for the reply but these are all very vague "ideas" to me. Do you have to have the extra formal education in art history to open an art gallery? I think I could open a gallery today and not know any more about art than I do now. I am not trying to poke at you, just trying to understand how one affects the other.

Also, the term "investments" is very broad. What kind of investments?

What would be the unltimate purpose for all of the investments and gallery. What's the goal?

Naja H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
Hello Naja! Your situation sounds oh so familiar ... degreed and educated, but no job ... what a perfect storm for entrepreneurship.

Hi MJ!

Yes, A LOT of the book resonated with where I am right now in life. I could definitely relate! Lol.

Naja H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
Thanks for the reply but these are all very vague "ideas" to me. Do you have to have the extra formal education in art history to open an art gallery? I think I could open a gallery today and not know any more about art than I do now. I am not trying to poke at you, just trying to understand how one affects the other.

Also, the term "investments" is very broad. What kind of investments?

What would be the unltimate purpose for all of the investments and gallery. What's the goal?

I understand! I don't know if I need the extra formal education to open the art gallery, but I thought it would make me a more reputable spectator in terms of business dealings if I had the education (In a curating sense). I feel I would be taken a little more seriously.

I was talking to a friend earlier today and I was telling him I would like to invest in stocks, options, swaps, etc. But he said it wasn't a good idea and its better to pay off my debt first and wait to invest, so I really don't know anymore.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I understand! I don't know if I need the extra formal education to open the art gallery, but I thought it would make me a more reputable spectator in terms of business dealings if I had the education (In a curating sense). I feel I would be taken a little more seriously.

I was talking to a friend earlier today and I was telling him I would like to invest in stocks, options, swaps, etc. But he said it wasn't a good idea and its better to pay off my debt first and wait to invest, so I really don't know anymore.

Ahh, confusion, I've been to that place more than once and may go back another day. :)

The journey all starts with the end in mind. What do you want to do with your life and your time? If you figure that out then you can lay a plan to get there.

Naja H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
Ahh, confusion, I've been to that place more than once and may go back another day. :)

The journey all starts with the end in mind. What do you want to do with your life and your time? If you figure that out then you can lay a plan to get there.

Yes! I am very much confused now.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Also, there should be a goal within my goal? I thought the Art Gallery was the goal.

You are rigth the art gallery is a goal. What is the purpose, for you, for creating the art gallery. Will it make money for you? Is it only to showcase local talent? Is is a method to meet other people? Is it just a passive entertainment? What is the purpose of the art gallery to you.

Example: I buy a quadraplex hopefully to make money. One goal of the quad is to provide clean safe housing. Another goal is to give me cashflow to invest in other businesses or so I can pay a manger to free my time up. The quad is a tool to get what I want. What will you goals get you?

Naja H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
You are rigth the art gallery is a goal. What is the purpose, for you, for creating the art gallery. Will it make money for you? Is it only to showcase local talent? Is is a method to meet other people? Is it just a passive entertainment? What is the purpose of the art gallery to you.

It was kind of all of the above that you have mentioned! My main reasons were to showcase local talent, help them sell art and receive commissions, as well as rent space, and hold different events in the gallery (receptions, openings, lectures, etc)

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas

It was kind of all of the above that you have mentioned! My main reasons were to showcase local talent, help them sell art and receive commissions, as well as rent space, and hold different events in the gallery (receptions, openings, lectures, etc)

OK, what can you do to get there?

Naja H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
OK, what will you get out of it and what can you do to get there?

This is some serious critical thinking!

I'm pretty sure you are asking for specifics, but I just know that I want to be a notable and successful gallery owner in the warehouse district of NOLA. And I desire to open another one up in another city (San Antonio) soon after.

To get there...I need to start looking at spaces and start seeking out local artists trying to showcase their work. Figure out a way to get in contact with them, which I am pretty sure there are a lot out there.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
This is some serious critical thinking!

I'm pretty sure you are asking for specifics, but I just know that I want to be a notable and successful gallery owner in the warehouse district of NOLA. And I desire to open another one up in another city (San Antonio) soon after.

To get there...I need to start looking at spaces and start seeking out local artists trying to showcase their work. Figure out a way to get in contact with them, which I am pretty sure there are a lot out there.

Ahh, now you're getting somewhere. Many of our toughest challenges are within. You probably need to do a lot of reading and introspection. Use the search function on the forum and read MJ's book if you haven't already. Your future is in your hands.

If you really want some input come join us face to face.https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/general-business-discussion/25703-2011-beer-pancakes.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Naja H

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jan 15, 2011
New Jersey
Ahh, now you're getting somewhere. Many of our toughest challenges are within. You probably need to do a lot of reading and introspection. Use the search function on the forum and read MJ's book if you haven't already. Your future is in your hands.

If you really want some input come join us face to face.https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/general-business-discussion/25703-2011-beer-pancakes.html

I believe I just had a break-through!

After I finish this Napoleon Hill book, The Millionaire Fastlane is next. I read the first few chapters that were available online already.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.