Hi Everyone!
I've been lurking here for a few months and I've decided to come out of the shadows and introduce myself. I feel that by interacting on this forum and getting some skin in the game it can help me keep focused on my goals. And it would be nice to help others along the way.
I read TMF a few months ago and it really resonated with my beliefs. I had read/listened to the Four Hour Work Week, Rich Dad Poor Dad, The Richest Man in Babylon, The Science of Getting Rich, and many more. But none of those were as potent as TMF. I especially like the support I've seen within this forum. The desert of desertion is a lonely road, and even though I've barely even left home I can feel its alienating effects. I've tried to inspire a couple of friends to read the book and hit the fastlane but to no avail. Which is why I find this community so alluring.
A little about me: I'm a 22 year old guy living near Toronto, Ontario with my parents. I enjoy long-distance running, working out, snowboarding, reading, hiking, playing guitar, and spending time with friends and family. I graduated from college (aka community college for you Americans) last spring and obtained my diploma in Civil Engineering Technology. I've been working for a geotechnical engineering company for a few years now.
I'm currently working 3-week shifts in the oil sands of northern Alberta. The money isn't great considering the sacrifices I've made to be here. I'm feeling burnt out after being up here for 5 months. People spend years up here watching their lives pass by, all for the money – as if their time has no value. It's unbelievable. I'm leaving this company in a few weeks. I've gained some good experience but the nature of the work will have me forever bound to 10-13 hour work days with lots of travel involved. With this kind of schedule it's hard to work on any fastlane ventures outside of my J-O-B. I've been working since I was 15 years old. 10 years old if you count the paper route, lawn mowing, snow shoveling, and house sitting. I can't imagine another 40-50 years of this.
My plan is to take a small snowboard trip to help clear my mind in January. I have some big decisions to make and I'm not in a positive environment right now. I'll probably apply to some universities to finish my civil engineering degree. I know that's a slowlane plan but it's just a backup, and it would only take about 2 years to complete. It's almost painful to be heading in that direction because I know exactly where that career leads: mediocrity. But I'll need to be able to support my family and I hate being away from home to make decent money. I'll start looking for another job soon - preferably for a local residential development project.
As for my fastlane plans, I keep a notebook full of ideas I've had. One of them is a product that I believe has potential. I already have the basic drawings sketched out on AutoCAD. I am currently learning how to use SolidWorks so I can create the 3D model myself. I may just pay a mechanical engineering student to create it for me if I get stuck. Then I'll create a prototype and go from there. I'm not too worried about a patent. I don't have the money to pay for one, let alone enforce one. I'll create a thread once things get moving.
Well if you made it this far, thanks for reading!
Brett
I've been lurking here for a few months and I've decided to come out of the shadows and introduce myself. I feel that by interacting on this forum and getting some skin in the game it can help me keep focused on my goals. And it would be nice to help others along the way.
I read TMF a few months ago and it really resonated with my beliefs. I had read/listened to the Four Hour Work Week, Rich Dad Poor Dad, The Richest Man in Babylon, The Science of Getting Rich, and many more. But none of those were as potent as TMF. I especially like the support I've seen within this forum. The desert of desertion is a lonely road, and even though I've barely even left home I can feel its alienating effects. I've tried to inspire a couple of friends to read the book and hit the fastlane but to no avail. Which is why I find this community so alluring.
A little about me: I'm a 22 year old guy living near Toronto, Ontario with my parents. I enjoy long-distance running, working out, snowboarding, reading, hiking, playing guitar, and spending time with friends and family. I graduated from college (aka community college for you Americans) last spring and obtained my diploma in Civil Engineering Technology. I've been working for a geotechnical engineering company for a few years now.
I'm currently working 3-week shifts in the oil sands of northern Alberta. The money isn't great considering the sacrifices I've made to be here. I'm feeling burnt out after being up here for 5 months. People spend years up here watching their lives pass by, all for the money – as if their time has no value. It's unbelievable. I'm leaving this company in a few weeks. I've gained some good experience but the nature of the work will have me forever bound to 10-13 hour work days with lots of travel involved. With this kind of schedule it's hard to work on any fastlane ventures outside of my J-O-B. I've been working since I was 15 years old. 10 years old if you count the paper route, lawn mowing, snow shoveling, and house sitting. I can't imagine another 40-50 years of this.
My plan is to take a small snowboard trip to help clear my mind in January. I have some big decisions to make and I'm not in a positive environment right now. I'll probably apply to some universities to finish my civil engineering degree. I know that's a slowlane plan but it's just a backup, and it would only take about 2 years to complete. It's almost painful to be heading in that direction because I know exactly where that career leads: mediocrity. But I'll need to be able to support my family and I hate being away from home to make decent money. I'll start looking for another job soon - preferably for a local residential development project.
As for my fastlane plans, I keep a notebook full of ideas I've had. One of them is a product that I believe has potential. I already have the basic drawings sketched out on AutoCAD. I am currently learning how to use SolidWorks so I can create the 3D model myself. I may just pay a mechanical engineering student to create it for me if I get stuck. Then I'll create a prototype and go from there. I'm not too worried about a patent. I don't have the money to pay for one, let alone enforce one. I'll create a thread once things get moving.
Well if you made it this far, thanks for reading!
Brett
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
