The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Green smoothies

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Aight, I'm taking a chance and throwing this idea out to this shark tank haha. If anyone wishes to execute on this... please message me and include me in the deal! Even if it's a small sliver, cause I'd love to go through the process of creating a product and gaining that experience.

I wake up every morning and start my day off with a green smoothie. Needless to say I put a lot in it...

3 leaves kale
1 cup of spinach
1/2 cucumber
1 banana
1 orange
1 apple
1 scoop whey protein
1 scoop of glutamine

I only shop organic because I think Monsanto is straight poison, so all of the stuff I get is fresh, organic, and locally grown. I also like to support my local businesses. With everyone that I've had who asked me questions about it, they all said it tasted great, they felt amazing, and they would never do it because of the amount of "time and energy" they would need to put into it. The total time and energy is one trip to the store once a week, and about 5 minutes of prep in the morning each day.

Last year I got my mom to go to the gym with me finally. She's since lost 70 pounds and is in the best shape of her life. I got her to download an app and start counting her calories, and even got her to get a heart rate monitor to maximize her workouts... yet I CAN'T get her to do 5 minutes of preparation for her bodies fuel!

Looking into this... I found that a lot of people will go shopping for their breakfast once a month, chop it all up, prepare it, and place it in small ziplock bags to put in the freezer.

Is there a need, or could there be a desire, for a mass packaged green smoothie? A large bag or box could be purchased which contains daily packages of the perfect mix. The person would simply reach into their freezer, grab a bag, pour it into the blender, add water, and bam, have their healthy morning kick.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
It's been beat to death already....Google it.

Do you honestly think I would have made a post without googling it...?

Besides 10,000 books on it, I have not been able to walk into Costco, Safeway, QFC, or any other big retailer and purchase a green smoothie. I've been looking for months.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
It's just another smoothie. There is nothing special about it.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

You're right, which is why I can't walk into any big retailer and have my pick of 10,000 different fruit smoothies... oh wait I can.

uccash

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 31, 2012
I do this as well. I actually looked hard and could not find anything either. I think there is def. a market there, not sure how big though. I just found a local guy who preps them for me weekly, all i have to do it dump the container in a blender and done. It is time consuming, hence why I pay someone else to do it.

Not sure if it would take off for mass market though. Most people don't value their time as people with money do.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Yep....that forum indicator on the sidebar sure tells you a lot about a person.

You said in your first post you were "throwing this idea out to this shark tank." Sounds like you were already sold on your idea when you posted that.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is there a need, or could there be a desire, for a mass packaged green smoothie? A large bag or box could be purchased which contains daily packages of the perfect mix. The person would simply reach into their freezer, grab a bag, pour it into the blender, add water, and bam, have their healthy morning kick.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea. Total need. I would buy it. The inconvenience of buying the organic greens, prepping them, and blending them, makes it a pain. If the process could be simplified, you are onto something.

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
I think there is definitely money to be made in this. I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and promptly purchased a Breville Juicer...

Unfortunately the green drinks taste like shit to me, prolly because I would use so much Kale. After all the Kale and Spinach are by far the healthiest things in that drink. I found out I much prefer eating the things separately and I enjoy the taste of the veggies and fruits by themselves and not all mixed up. I'm kind of a weirdo though I tend to eat the stuff on my plate one at a time and not mix em up. Most people love smoothies.

My ideal breakfast is now a banana, couple handfuls of blueberries. 3-4 eggs (preferably local ones) fried in some coconut oil with some cooked kale on the side.

I saute up Kale in chicken broth with some garlic, onion, pepper, hot red pepper. Delicious!

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Sweet, thanks for the input guys. If you do see this product somewhere... come post it in here! I did a 10 minute search again and found nothing but recipe's and green powders sold by supplement shops.

I emailed 3 local producers this morning and got 1 response back, they said they could definitely make the product. Does anyone know the expected markup to cost on these types of products? I'm thinking the price point would have to be around $2-3 per individual, daily package.

Dude another win in this, I grew up working with my dad's warehousing business. I know the trucking/warehousing/distribution model like the back of my hand haha.

You said in your first post you were "throwing this idea out to this shark tank." Sounds like you were already sold on your idea when you posted that.

I get that, but you didn't provide anything constructive in your comments. Some links to an existing product, or some real criticism other then the negative nancy attitude would be greatly appreciated.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
My 2 cents...I do smoothies with the VitaMix blender..love it !
There ARE a million recipes...all the ones I've seen advertised are oh so pretty..but FULL of sugar..too much fruit. I have some 'green' recipes that taste very good...and lots of green.

There's a marketing concept here...these smoothies are not pretty...they're UGLY ! There ya go..The Ugly Smoothie. Get Ugly to get healthy. Drink some Ugly. Ugly is the new beautiful. A lot of ways to market the Ugliness of a smoothie.

Oh....LEMON....it's takes the bitter out of Kale.

That's all I got.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
My 2 cents...I do smoothies with the VitaMix blender..love it !
There ARE a million recipes...all the ones I've seen advertised are oh so pretty..but FULL of sugar..too much fruit. I have some 'green' recipes that taste very good...and lots of green.

You probably do em right! haha I don't think there's anything wrong with putting in banana, orange, mango, pears, or any other fruits, I would however have a problem with juicing the whole thing!

ps. VitaMix is the way to go!

This is the only one I've seen - I'm sure the nutrition is shit. With the right marketing I think you would have a hit.

General Mills: Yoplait Smoothie

That's the only one I've seen as well, at our local Costco. They also have a frozen mixed berry blend which is used for smoothie's as well. Growing up, every household I knew had them.

R

redshep

I'd love to see more healthy options when I'm on the go. Not just drinks, but food too.

I mostly do a greens+protein drink with some fruit. (I'm also struggling to get my 60+ parents into better shape via juicing, but the pushback is incredible.)

I love the speed and health benefits of juicing. What I hate and imagine they hate too: cost and inconvenience (the time of everyday prep, clean-up, unused veggies going bad if I buy too much, etc.)

When I can't make my drink, I'll grab a Naked Green Machine. Right now, that seems to be the only option in stores. Tastes good, but the sugar from the fruit in it is sky high. Also, they're the same cost as a large coffee, so doing that everyday adds up. My "cheat" has become buying powdered greens. The results are just okay; they taste like grass clippings.

There's a need, no doubt. If powdered greens could be sweetened with stevia or something similar, and packaged into single serving pouches like the powdered az ice tea or gatorade, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Definitely there is a need. I am an absolute health freak, for example I would never put fruit in my smoothie because it isn't correct food combining and also sugar is sugar, even in fruit, so a lot of fruit is about the same as a chocolate bar (sad but true).

Anyways, the rub would be that the appeal of this type of drink is that it feels healthy and fresh. For me pulling it from the freezer wouldn't cut it and not sure how well some of the ingredients like kale would freeze.

So to really nail this, you would have to have them brought in twice a week, which is a much different distribution problem than monthly.

In general though my head spins with trying to solve this type of problem on a daily basis. In the last week I made two 5,000 mile trips involving several airports. Do you know how much food I can eat that can be found in a typical airport?.... ZERO.

Pretty much the same when I want to go out to a restaurant. I'm a health freak, but still, even Whole Foods is full of foods that make people "feel" like they are eating healthy, but actually do not have much more nutrition that "regular" food.

Big opportunity to deliver healthy food to people in a convenient manner.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Wow thanks for all the input guys :) keep it coming.

Anyways, the rub would be that the appeal of this type of drink is that it feels healthy and fresh. For me pulling it from the freezer wouldn't cut it and not sure how well some of the ingredients like kale would freeze.

I know! Me either! I'd much rather spend 5 minutes to have it mega-fresh... but I've definitely noticed I'm in the minority there.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Absolutely is a need for these types of drinks in an on-the-go level. Walking into 7-Eleven and grabbing one on the way to the gym would have people buying these up left and right. Not to mention, removing the cost of the juicer, prep, and cleaning makes it a win.

Only problem I can see you running into would be the shelf-life and distribution of the product.

Also, adapt it too much and you're entering territory where you're competing with companies like V8, etc who will kick your a$$ in the competition for shelf space.

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Yo dknise,

This recipe is supposed to be a pretty standard intro to juicing. As Bigguns said lemon can combat the bitterness of Kale.

Green Lemonade Recipe - Allrecipes.com

"Green power"

"Electric green"

"green meal"

"Greenorade" lol

"Nutrigreen" - ooo that one sounds good.

I used to drink a powder called green vibrance. It wasn't bad at all.

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
Your product would be regularly purchased my my household.

We buy two similar things now:

A frozen Acai smoothie packet from Sprouts.
Frozen chopped spinach that we add to smoothies from Trader Joes.

We have to add a bunch of stuff to these and I would prefer your product to either.

We have a vitamix for smoothies and a juicer for green juicing. I always prefer to use the vitamix over the juicer because of time/cleaning. Your product would allow me to do just that....kind of a hybrid between green juicing and a smoothie.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I was actually just trying to google pre-made green smoothies for purchase. The only thing I came up with was a product called Super Greens- I'm still not sure Super Greens are pills or a liquid beverage... It costs about $75... I am thinking of ordering it online.

I googled some more for something cheaper and saw that Trader Joes has something called Super Green Drink powder for $20.

I think there is a big need for it- because most people need to eat more vegetables but don't... If they had a pre made veggie drink I think more people would be inclined to buy it.

AmyQ

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 5, 2013
I was actually just trying to google pre-made green smoothies for purchase. The only thing I came up with was a product called Super Greens- I'm still not sure Super Greens are pills or a liquid beverage... It costs about $75... I am thinking of ordering it online.

I googled some more for something cheaper and saw that Trader Joes has something called Super Green Drink powder for $20.

I think there is a big need for it- because most people need to eat more vegetables but don't... If they had a pre made veggie drink I think more people would be inclined to buy it.

Super Greens tastes horrible! It is a dehydrated veggie powder you add to water.

Also, I think that dknise is thinking about offering a frozen smoothie pack, which is a different product than the dehydrated veggie drink powders like the ones you listed. Not trying to discourage you from trying TJ's, their stuff is usually good.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Thanks Amy-

Do you have any known pre made products that I can purchase at say Whole Foods or some other store?

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
1) I wouldn't be doing dehydrated powders.
2) I wouldn't be doing pre-made drinks.

I would want to just package and freeze pre-washed, pre-sized quantities for a smoothie to blend. High shelf life and easy packaging. Does that take away from most people's need to not have to clean up? All it would be is a blender.

3) After talking about this so much today now I'm super interested haha... already got producer quotes as well as warehousing and distribution quotes! XD I might just pull the trigger, set it up, and go out to get some purchase orders before making the product.

Era

Light Warrior
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Oct 20, 2012
Tony Robbins has a green drink product called, Pure Energy Greens. It is in powdered form so I think the pre-packaged packets you mentioned would set it apart from anything that's in the market right now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.