The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Great books that are NOT best-sellers. Share yours.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Although not the 'greatest' book ever written

'Built To Sell' - is a very fastlane oriented book, with a great story to help many readers make sense of the running a business --> selling a business transition. Story is told in a similar way to the Great Rat Race Escape .

Book: Built To Sell
Author: John Warrillow
Genre: Business
Description: How to get into the mindset of transitioning yourself out of being 'the' business - and instead move towards a model where you are no longer the centerpiece and have a great asset for sale with everything in place. This was a key read during my time of selling my fastlane business, and shared many similarities with what we were going through at the time.

He's got two more books:

1. The Art of Selling Your Business.
2. The Automatic Customer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Book: Ecommerce Evolved
Author: Tanner Larson
Genre:
Business Development
Subject/Description:
Definitely a good book for anyone who wants to build, grow, and scale an eCommerce store. Found this book online after doing some research. Decided to read it, definitely worth the purchase.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
The Presence Process by Michael Brown.
It helps becoming more mindful with a daily 10 week breathing practice and supporting text. Certainly helped me deal with stressful situations better.

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
The Sovereign Individual is also super well known and often recommended.

IMO only something with no more than 100-200 reviews AT MOST (and more like maybe a few dozen) can be called a hidden gem.

And here people are recommending books with thousands of reviews or written by well-known people.

What constitutes a bestseller is subjective but come on...
Well, your standards are more rigid than what MJ posted. But whatever, here is the MTF certified hidden gem:

Book: God Wants You Dead
Author: Sean Hastings
Genre: hard to say
Subject/Description:
This book is about how ‘ideas’ and more importantly ‘ideologies’ have their own biological-esque survival/evolving strategy that can work with or against the biological mission of the human itself. Think suicide bombers as ‘against’.
After reading this book you’ll understand how much we are driven by ideology, how it works, and how to defend yourself against it, or even use it in your favor.

Last edited:

Lundi Tsotso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jul 2, 2018
Book: 90 Day Dream Life
Author: Andy Hayes
Genre: Mindset/Self Development
Description: The book is about using neuroscience and advertising industry techniques to influence you mind and shift your mindset from fear and anxiety to your more peaceful self.

Link: 90 Day Dream Life Blueprint|NOOK Book

AndreiRx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 16, 2019
I will put 2 which are mostly unknown, and one which is borderline because it's a less known book by a well known author:

Book: Developer Hegemony: The Future of Labor
Author: Erik Dietrich
Genre: business culture
Subject/Description: "...Developers, if you grow tired of being treated like geeks who can only be trusted to take orders and churn out code, consider this your call to arms. Bring about the autonomous future that’s rightfully yours. It’s time for developer hegemony."
(optional) Amazon Link: Amazon - Developer Hegemony: The Future of Labor: Dietrich, Erik: 9780692866801: Books

Book: Crash Early, Crash Often
Author: Venkatesh Rao
Genre: politics & social sciences
Subject/Description: "In this fine collection of essays, the third volume in the Ribbonfarm Roughs series, Venkatesh Rao (author of Tempo, The Gervais Principle, and Be Slightly Evil) ponders midlife crises, immortality, graceful aging, learning, personal growth, community, individualism, and the Big Question of how to live a life full of meaning, dignity and significance."
(optional) Amazon Link: Crash Early, Crash Often (Ribbonfarm Roughs Book 3) - Kindle edition by Rao, Venkatesh, Peacock, Jordan. Politics & Social Sciences Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Book: God's Debris: A Thought Experiment
Author: Scott Adams
Genre: christian fiction
Subject/Description: "God's Debris is the first non-Dilbert, non-humor book by best-selling author Scott Adams. Adams describes God's Debris as a thought experiment wrapped in a story. It's designed to make your brain spin around inside your skull."
(optional) Amazon Link: God's Debris: A Thought Experiment - Kindle edition by Adams, Scott. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

AndreiRx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Apr 16, 2019
Also I remember reading this at least 10 years ago because I was curious about freemasons.
It is full of stories of famous people doing their work way before they were famous.
The takeaway for me was - nobody knows what they're doing, each one has his or her own hero's journey, and the story gets written much later.
Work, get ignored for a long time, and the tipping point comes when it becomes too important to too many people to be overlooked.

Book: Famous American Freemasons
Author: Todd E. Creason
Genre: world history
Subject/Description: "Famous American Freemasons is a collection of stories about some of the Masons from America's past. Through little-known stories of some of the fraternity's most influential members, Todd E. Creason shows the amazing range of contributions Masons have made to the causes of freedom, politics, philosophy, scientific discovery, and the arts-contributions that have helped to define the nation."
(optional) Amazon Link:

A

Anon05554

None of my books have ever hit the New York Times best-seller list, and yet, I have sold more than most NYTs best sellers. Interesting don't ya say? That means, you were likely RECOMMENDED the book by a trusted friend, or a YouTube channel.

Recently in the Unscripted Text Network, I asked people to share their best book recommendations that are NOT best-sellers. And by BEST-SELLER I mean something from a NON-FAMOUS author that that isn't widely known.

That said, what is a great, "must read" book that is not widely known, hyped, or publicized? If you have a great book recommendation that is NOT widely known, like an underground *hidden-gem* favorite, please post and I will compile the data and share later.

DO NOT SHARE A BOOK THAT HAS OVER 2,000 REVIEWS AT AMAZON.
DO NOT SHARE A BOOK THAT LIKELY HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED OVER, AND OVER.
DO NOT SHARE A BOOK FROM A FAMOUS AUTHOR

If I see anything by Clear, Napoleon Hill, Goggins, Hormozi, Greene, Taleb, I will puke. Then I will delete the post.

Please use this format:

Book:
Author:
Genre:
Subject/Description:
(optional) Amazon Link:

My intention is to compile this data in an easy to read format organized by subject and then share.
I am basically a novels person, or I used to be until I decided to read self-help books in my frenzied quest for financial freedom.
Other than MJ's books, the following have made an impact on my attitude to life;

Author:paul Kalinathi
Title; When breath becomes air
Genre; Autobiography
Description; When Paul is diagnosed with cancer before he has finished medical training, he has to make decisions that he would never have thought of as at any other time in his healthy life. His wife completes Paul's book, following his book.
It teaches us to weigh the impact of the choices we make on our loved ones if our breath should suddenly become air.

Women who love too much(have forgotten the author)is a good read for every woman who questions her choice of partner and whether she is as valueless as they are made to feel.

Novel wise, Rob Wyatt's; Can I be Frank? Will have you cracking up no matter how depressing your circumstances may be.

BrunoRastablasta

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Sep 20, 2018
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Book: Sex, Ecology, Spirituality
Author: Ken Wilber
Genre:
Transpersonal psychology
Subject/Description:
I'm a professional writer and I can't find the words to describe this book. It will shift your paradigm, help you understand why people behave the way that they do, show you how human systems evolve, and prepare you for the future to come. It's a 700-page long masterpiece by a guy who's no longer sane. He also popularized Spiral Dynamics so if you heard of that, you should thank him.
(optional) Amazon Link:
Sex, Ecology, Spirituality: The Spirit of Evolution, Second Edition: Wilber, Ken: 9781570627446: Books - Amazon

Book: Endurance
Author:
Alfred Lansing
Genre:
Memoir/Biography/Adventure
Subject/Description:
This book was written in1959 and it's a bit cheating the list (it has 8,000 reviews), but it was never a bestseller. However, this book will blow your mind. This is the first book ever written on Shackleton's incredible journey to walk across Antarctica. The entire book is written on the basis of the journals from the crew members so it's accurate in its depiction of people, places, and conditions. If you want to read how tough men and leaders were a hundred years ago, read this book. If this doesn't get you from action-faking to action-taking, I don't know what will.
(optional) Amazon Link:

Endurance: Alfred Lansing, Nathaniel Philbrick: 2015465062881: Books

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Book: Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents
Author: Lindsay Gibson
Genre: Self-development
Subject/Description: Helps adults who have had immature parents during their upbringing heal from emotional neglect and other causes. We as children growing up need emotional support for various use cases or events that occur during our lifetime. If this is not provided by our parents when we become adults. It will be hard for us to communicate with others and express how we feel. We also get this huge self-worth problem as if people just don't care at all. This book opened my eyes to what has happened in my upbringing. I was neglected by my parents, I was the kid on the computer. My parents barely checked in with me. I was "straight as an arrow" as they will say, meaning that I always knew what I wanted to do growing up. I was the kid they never had to worried about which thus created that exclusion feeling I felt back then of not being paid attention to. Definitely a good book for anyone who needs self-healing and might I add my parents were the distant parents.

Definitely a great book, a must read. Yes, I've read it. I think @Red recommended this one to me.

THR

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Feb 10, 2017
UK
Book: Start Small, Stay Small

Author: Rob Walling

Genre: Business Strategy

Subject/Description:
Realistic and practical advice on how to build a early stage business and make reasoned choices along the way. Unlike many business books, Start Small, Stay Small eschews traditional lofty goals of VC funding or billion-dollar valuations in favour of making a tightly focused, stellar product with modest resources.

Ultimately this is a marketing book written for a technical audience. So far as I'm aware, there is nothing quite like it.

(optional) Amazon Link: Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup: Amazon.co.uk: Walling, Rob, Taber, Mike: 9780615373966: Books

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Jeffrey Gitomer - Customer Satisfaction is Worthless, Customer Loyalty is Priceless

madhav.malvawala

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 28, 2022
None of my books have ever hit the New York Times best-seller list, and yet, I have sold more than most NYTs best sellers. Interesting don't ya say? That means, you were likely RECOMMENDED the book by a trusted friend, or a YouTube channel.

Recently in the Unscripted Text Network, I asked people to share their best book recommendations that are NOT best-sellers. And by BEST-SELLER I mean something from a NON-FAMOUS author that that isn't widely known.

That said, what is a great, "must read" book that is not widely known, hyped, or publicized? If you have a great book recommendation that is NOT widely known, like an underground *hidden-gem* favorite, please post and I will compile the data and share later.

If I see anything by Clear, Napoleon Hill, Goggins, Hormozi, Greene, Taleb, I will puke. Then I will delete the post.

Please use this format:

Book:
Author:
Genre:
Subject/Description:
(optional) Amazon Link:

My intention is to compile this data in an easy to read format organized by subject and then share.
Hello, I'm Madhav from India.
I recently completed reading a book on Personal Transformation.
This book is written by an Indian Author who has a training company and is very sought after trainer on subjects like sales, leadership, productivity and many more in corporate and business world in India.
I found the content of the Book very useful and can help to improve life.

Book: Eleven Commandments of Life Maximization: Be a Leader for Life

Author: Santosh Nair

Genre: Personal Transformation

Subject/Description: The brutal truth of why you are, where you are. Eleven Commandments of Life Maximization does not claim to offer instant happiness, nor make us richer, thinner and younger-looking, but it tells us the brutal truth of why we are where we are and how to live our life. These are tried and tested rules, backed by real examples from the contemporary world, that will lead you to the unflinching path of Life Maximization. The easy-to-follow exercises at the end of every chapter ensure that you have assimilated the lesson and can now apply it practically to your life.

Amazon Link: Eleven Commandments of Life Maximization: Be a Leader for Life https://amzn.eu/d/293Rlfg

Attachments

• IMG_20220624_084604.jpg
    IMG_20220624_084604.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220624_084615.jpg
    IMG_20220624_084615.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 0

redshift

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Sep 4, 2018
One Plus One Equals Three: A Masterclass in Creative Thinking by Dave Trott
A book about thinking outside of the box. Has some super interesting stories on creative thinking.

Hell Yeah or No by Derek Sivers
How to Live by Derek Sivers

Both are available exclusively on his website. Some of the most insightful short content I've read. Will be re-reading this over the years.

Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age by Paul Graham
Bunch of essays from Paul Graham (founder of Y-Combinator). Some are very tech/programming oriented but all of them have some very deep ideas on contrarian thinking. Must read for tech entrepreneurs.

One-Moment Meditation by Martin Boroson
Game changer for anyone struggling to meditate or not being able to find the time for it.

Dropping Ashes on the Buddha: The Teachings of Zen Master Seung Sahn by Seung Sahn
Quirky Zen book with some humorous teachings. A great introduction to Zen philosophy.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I started to look at some of the data on this and lets just say, if your recommended book has 6,000 reviews on Amazon, it's not a "hidden gem" and likely has some big money, big lists, and/or big recommendations behind it. "Essentialism" = 10000 reviews. LOL.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
"Computer Gamesmanship", I read it long ago, and learned how game A.I. worked.

12300529.jpg

The 2022 Kindle version has a new cover, but is otherwise a horrific scan of the old physical book.

1656135422530.png

Last edited:

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
America’s Most Successful Startups: Lessons for Entrepreneurs by Max Finger, Oliver Samwer

The authors wrote the book as part of their bachelor thesis I think. Both of them became very successful and Oliver Samwer is a multibillionaire. The book is out of print but there are some used books available.

Do What You Want On Wall Street by Geoff Blades

It's a book about succeeding in a Wall Street career but I find the approach the author is presenting applicable to any goal.

xAlina

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 4, 2022
Book: Brains versus Capital
Author: Günter Faltin
Genre: Entrepreneurship/ Business
Subject/Description: Create your own idea-masterpiece as a collage or puzzle made from existing pieces; construct your company from pre-existing components that are freely available to everyone.

(optional) Amazon Link: Brains versus Capital - Günter Faltin - Amazon.de: Bücher
German Version: Kopf schlägt Kapital. Die ganz andere Art, ein Unternehmen zu gründen. Von der Lust, ein Entrepreneur zu sein. : Faltin, Günter: Amazon.de: Bücher

This book is more common here in Germany. I read it as my first book about business and entrepreneurship when I was 15/16. Mr. Faltin is a Professor at a university in Germany. He started his own Company Teekampange (Tea Campaign) to show his students how to build a successful business.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Book: No: The Only Negotiating System You Need for Work and Home
Author: Jim Camp
Genre:

• #458 in Business Negotiating
  • #2,253 in Interpersonal Relations

Subject/Description:

Jim Camp, the world’s #1 negotiating coach, shows how to release the emotional pressure that’s part of any negotiation by using his proven system of safe, decision-based negotiation that enables you to meet all your objectives without needless, wasted compromises or giveaways.

• Out of the blue your best customer demands a huge discount—or else he takes his business elsewhere.
• You think you finally have a buyer for your home, but then at the last minute she demands that you pay for new landscaping of the yard—or no deal. There are plenty of other properties for sale, and she says she’ll walk.
• Your son is having trouble in school, and you have to think about how to deal with his “my way or the highway” teacher.

When confronted with these—and innumerable other—day-to-day negotiating challenges at work and in your personal life, most people start to guess about how much they should give up in compromise to make the other side happy (“I’ll just meet them halfway, and we can put this problem to bed”).

Jim Camp has a better way for you to negotiate:

NO.

Saying “no” is not about being hard-nosed or intransigent. Rather, it stops everyone in their tracks, clears the air, and allows you to get at what the real issues are. It is a proven and an amazingly effective system that avoids unwarranted assumptions, needless compromises, and wild guesses, showing:

• How to stop being needy, banishing emotional responses such as “I must keep this customer’s business” or “I have to sell this house now,” and start focusing on what you can control—yourself
• Why in a negotiation the two worst things to hear are “yes” and “maybe”
• How to get to the heart of the issue through the art and science of asking great questions
• How to find out who the real “decider” is and stop negotiating with the unqualified

We live in a compromise- and assumption-based world, but Jim Camp flips conventional wisdom on its head and in the process makes you a more effective negotiator with clients, customers, spouses, kids, neighbors, and coworkers. Through Camp’s system you’ll find that “no” is just the start of the negotiation, not the end of it. With it, you’ll get everything you want and you’ll build solid relationships with those you negotiate with.

(optional) Amazon Link:
Here's the Amazon Link

My input:

Easily one of the most profoundly useful communication books I've ever put to use in my life.

It's Jim Camp's LAST book (he never put it in Kindle format) and gave me the core foundational structure on how to negotiate bigger fee deals without need or trying to convince or power close anyone.

Side note: Did you know Jim Camp had a huge influential impact on real life hostage negotiator Chris Voss, author of another excellent book, "Never Split The Difference" (not sure this one meets the criteria of this thread).

It gives you a framework and... it's just so freakin' good.

I feel like if more people read this the entire world would simply be a better place.

Antoni Deighton

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 15, 2017
California
Book: Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War
Author: Robert Coram
Subject/Genre: Biography

You may be familiar with the OODA Loop (Observe, Orient, Decide, Act), which is perhaps the most famous of Colonel Boyd's legacies. Boyd was a fighter pilot who, after fighting in Korea, was soon teaching at the USAF equivalent of Top Gun. He soon became known as Forty Second Boyd, because he could enter a dogfight with an "enemy" on his tail and consistently shoot them down within forty seconds. He is also credited with developing the tactics that led to the 100-hour ground war in the first Gulf War.
Unliked by the Pentagon brass, Boyd's theories about dogfighting were developed from the laws of thermodynamics and entropy. He used rapid, unexpected, movement and targets to defeat his enemies, but his theories, and the thinking behind them can equally be applied to business. One of his colleagues and supporters wrote a business book using his methodology, and you can find his original Pentagon presentations online. But I find this book is a good way to understand where Boyd came from, what the OODA loop really means, and is the best way to start understanding how to incorporate Boyd's ideas into your business.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
It's not a HOW TO book, it's more so a BOOK WITH GUIDING PRINCIPLES.

Book: The War Of Art
Author: Steven Pressfield

Genre: Bullet Proofing Your Mindset Towards Your Process & Whatever You Want To Build.

Description: This is an amazing read for people looking for better questions to ask themselves and by doing so find tune clarity towards their goals and ambition. Only with clarity can you pursue your goal without self-sabotaging and dabbling. If you can pick all the golden nugget from this book, your mindset is unbreakable. I still revisit this book every weekend...

The writer is a "failure" who never listened to those around him even as he failed, and eventually he became a success. His failures are more severe than anything I've experience at this point. Cliché, sure. But it gave me insights on what it takes to hit a home run.

And that is never EVER give in to RESISTANT.

Resistant comes in many form... you will find out what these forms of resistant's are in the first half! The second half of the book is quite spiritual so take it as you will.
Great book. I enjoyed "Turning Pro," too.

Akita

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2021

Please use this format:

Book:
Author:
Genre:
Subject/Description:
(optional) Amazon Link:

Book: Understanding Human Nature: The Psychology of Personality​

Author: Alfred Adler

Genre: psychology/philosophy

Subject/Description: This is just one of many books, but Alfred Adler's works changed my life. If you're used to thinking from a Freudian perspective, or never even considered a different angle of viewing human behavior. Adler's works are a well spring from which so many guru books have come from through the last century but no one hardly knows, and was never mentioned in any class room I attended, (unlike Freud.) You will learn about individual psychology, holism, inferiority/superiority, freedom, community feeling, the courage to change, feeling of contribution, horizontal vs hierarchical relationships, friends vs enemies. Basically it will change you once you change how you view relationships.

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N01TRGY/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Henderson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jun 29, 2022
Hey @MJ DeMarco! This thread is a great idea. I hope it grows and increases in value over time. Personally (as a total noob), I would be interested in all kinds of media. What blogs, forums, or podcasts, etc. does everyone visit regularly for example.

Anyway, here are my book recommendations...

-----------

How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It

Author: Mark Cuban (Yes he's famous but not as a writer)

Genre: Business & Entrepreneurship

Subject/Description:
'
Using the greatest material from his popular Blog Maverick, Cuban has collected and updated his postings on business and life to provide a catalog of INSIDERS knowledge on what it takes to become a thriving entrepreneur. He tells his own rags-to-riches story of how he went from selling powdered milk and sleeping on friends' couches to owning his own company and becoming a multibillion-dollar success story.'

Amazon Link

-------------

How to Get Rich: One of the World's Greatest Entrepreneurs Shares His Secrets

Author:
Felix Dennis

Subject/Description:
I like it because it is a no-BS story of how Dennis created his wealth. It is raw and transparent in what it means to be obsessed with success (read: unhealthy, probably divorce, few to no real friends etc.). He also wrote poetry which is fascinating all in itself.

'How to Get Rich is different from any other book on the subject because Dennis isn't selling snake oil, investment tips, or motivational claptrap. He merely wants to help people embrace entrepreneurship and to share lessons he learned the hard way. He reveals, for example, why a regular paycheck is like crack cocaine; why great ideas are vastly overrated; and why ownership isn't the important thing, it's the only thing.'

Amazon Link

-------------

Zero to Sold: How to Start, Run, and Sell a Bootstrapped Business

Author:
Arvid Kahl

Subject/Description:
'In Zero to Sold, Arvid shares his experiences, learnings, and insights from building a Software-as-a-Service business from start to finish. He shows what worked and what didn't work. If you want to build your own bootstrapped business and stay sane while doing it, Zero to Sold will be your guide.'

Amazon Link

-------------

Write Useful Books: A modern approach to designing and refining recommendable nonfiction

Author:
Rob Fitzpatrick

Genre: Writing

Subject/Description:
'This guide proposes a different way of planning, writing, & refining nonfiction, drawn from the hard-won lessons of product designers & entrepreneurs. Applied properly, it leads to books that can grow organically via reader recommendations for many years, without relying on either heavy marketing or a large author platform.

The preconceptions about "writing a book" are so deeply entrenched that most authors don't even ask themselves whether a better way exists.'

Amazon Link

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Book: Storyworthy: Engage, Teach, Persuade, and Change Your Life through the Power of Storytelling
Author: Matthew Dicks

Genre: Storytelling

Subject/Description: Tips to find, craft and tell stories in every day life.

Book: Civilized to Death: The Price of Progress
Author: Christopher Ryan
Genre: Culture / Anthropology

Subject/Description: Fresh take on the narrative about progress

Book: Everything in Its Place: The Power of Mise-En-Place to Organize Your Life, Work, and Mind
Author: Dan Charnas
Genre: Productivity

Subject/Description: Insights from one of the most organized and under-pressure place in earth: the kitchen.

Book: Beyond Good and Evil
Author: Nietzsche

Genre: Philosophy

Subject/Description: A call against conformity from a very misunderstood philosopher

Book: On the shortness of life
Author: Seneca

Genre: Philosophy

Subject/Description: Life doesn’t pass too quickly, we rather squander it. It is a reminder to live our lives, on our own terms.

Book: The Prosperity Paradox: How Innovation Can Lift Nations out of Poverty
Author: Efosa Ojomo, Clayton M. Christensen

Genre: Social Entrepreneurship

Subject/Description: A Fastlane take on lifting communities out of poverty
Adding

Book: Find your red thread: Make your idea irresistible
Author: Tamsen Webster
Genre: Persuasion
Subject/Description: An extremely useful framework to clarify any idea we have and build the stories that we will share to persuade the people we want to influence. From the Amazon page: "You have a terrific idea. It’s so powerful that it could change a life, a market, or even the world. There’s just one problem: others don’t see its power—yet. If you truly value the possibility of your idea, then you’re ready to find your Red Thread—the throughline that connects your idea to your audience’s hearts and minds."

Tsetand

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 25, 2022
Blue Ocean Strategy by Renée Mauborgne and W. Chan Kim.
The book challenge you to focus less on beating the competition and more on value-innovation to open up new and uncontested market space.Blue ocean strategy is the simultaneous pursuit of differentiation and low cost to open up a new market space and create new demand. I

Togata

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 22, 2021
I believe @MJ DeMarco expected the list to be small at first. Therefore, he stated that he will release it at the end of June.
To his surprise the list of books supplied was so long, that he stated previously in this thread that it will take him 120 year to read everything.
Now, I think he is stuck between filtering non best-seller book from best-selling books, going through the books 1 by 1.

Thus, why he is late on the delivery, but this is still a non profit service he is doing for the community, so we can't complain!

Hope it clarified a bit, @tony.vujeva

Perhaps again I'm wrong, only @MJ DeMarco knows and can update the situation.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I am looking into this:

All about Indonesia's leader, Jokowi.

Came from a poor family--but worked his way up through entrepreneurship and finally became President of Indonesia.
Started many reforms such as blusukan (unannounced public visits on key businesses and government centres)...anticorruption drives (which is VERY welcome considering Indonesia's past)...and turning the resource economy to a value-added one via his EV talks with Elon.

Would be a good read of this leader's mental models...which might rival Lee Kuan Yew's soon.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@MJ DeMarco when will you share the Hidden Gems? Thank you for answering in advance...

Compilation has turned into quite a project as I received 500+ submissions. Sadly, most of the submissions are best-selling books from best-selling authors, so every book needs to be reviewed.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.