The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Grad School Scam

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is a parody, but in all seriousness, it has rings of truth.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Vic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Aug 3, 2012
I know someone who racked up $50k in student debt getting her masters only to wind up working the same job she had left two years earlier. Now she is stuck with an $800 a month student loan bill which basically prevents her from moving out of her parents house. BTW, a student loan is something you cannot just stop paying, since it is basically controlled by the government they will garnish your wages to get their payment.

Her solution? Go into a PHD program in order to defer the payments.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

OMG. As I wrote elsewhere on the forum, that's called doubling-down on stupid.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

It's not that she's stupid... just uninformed. She doesn't know what else she can do. That's the sad part.

So, let's play a game: if you guys were in a situation where you had to pay a truckload of debt with a $800 a month payment, what would you do?

Personally, I'd get as many jobs as possible and increase that payment so I can clear off that debt as soon as possible, while at the same time saving up money to start up a Fastlane project.

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
BTW, a student loan is something you cannot just stop paying, since it is basically controlled by the government they will garnish your wages to get their payment.

Loans do not go away with bankruptcy...

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
My favorite is when law school grads sue the school because they can't get a job lol :rofl:.

I was talking with my University professor the other day and she told me that when she applied for her associate professor position, over 500 other applicants applied! Just for ONE position.

It's sad because people need to understand that college is about ROI and job market supply and demand. A degree is not worth something just because you have it. Its worth based on what someone else is willing to pay. And as we all know as supply increases; the price goes down.

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Lol at the end of that video click on the video with the bright eyed brunette. It's another funny college humor grad school video.

I went to grad school because I love business and I love psychology so I figured a MA in I/O Psychology would be a good bang for the buck compromise between the PhD and BA and make me competitive when applying for jobs. IO Psych is basically business psychology and is the most well compensated in the psych field... 40k later I educated myself out of a lot entry level jobs, got the attention of an eminent VP at a great company and was laid off due to a corporate merger 6 months later.

Is this some kind of sick joke? I'm afraid not, check out The Education of Millionaires by Michael Ellsberg. This excessive specialized "education" is the next big bubble.

I decided to create my own job. Regardless of "success," I've learned more in 4 months designing my own product and starting my business than I did in 2 years of grad school, oh and I love it instead of hate it.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
I'd get as many jobs as possible

Not being sarcastic but...millions and millions of people are trying to land just one job. Excluding the people who just don't want to work.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Not being sarcastic but...millions and millions of people are trying to land just one job. Excluding the people who just don't want to work.

Ya and it's all because of this guy:
High Unemployment Rate Linked To One Man With 42,000 Jobs - YouTube

The only unemployed people right now are people who don't have any marketable skills or are willing to work for the going rate. Truth.

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
I just graduated from University, and honestly I have alot of friends going into grad schools or getting 10hr a day jobs.
I felt the most valuable thing I got out of University was learning how to sit in a library for 9 hours and do research efficiently. Everything else is useless, if I could go back in time I never would've went to University for all those years.

joona

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 1, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Cool video, unfortunately there is so much truth in that. Luckily the education is free where I come from. But then again, having a masters in anything doesn't really give you any advantage anymore...

My favorite is when law school grads sue the school because they can't get a job lol .

Some people really do that? :D Amazing!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Imagine if schools had to give money back guarantees lol

Popular schools can just about print their own money.

Think about it do you know of ANY other business which turns people away by not having enough product?
Any businesses which can decide if they will ALLOW you to purchase their product?

The school actually figures the cost to build a new classroom, how may chairs it can hold, the cost to employe a teacher to teach and they know exactly how much each extra seat will bring them in revenue.

They don't have to market as they already know how many applicants they turned down the year before and can accept enough additional students to fill those seats in the new classroom they built.

hmmmmm maybe they are onto something creating more of a demand by scarcity of product : )

heuriser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Nov 29, 2013
Frankfurt, DE
Is there any point to school anymore, I wonder? With the proliferation of serious online education players like edX, coursera, udacity, it makes you question what is really worth something when starting a road to wealth and freedom? A six-figure diploma or degrees gotten over the span of a decade or more? Or a stack of certificates or simply the education resulting from focused flowing interest earned at one's own pace, for free...

Steele Concept

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 3, 2012
Connecticut
Revisiting this thread makes my blood boil a bit.

My undergrad advisor with a PhD in I/O psychology (From a top 10 uni) told me to get a Masters to work in the private sector in order to make more money than her. I did this while working full time and living with my folks so I could financially handle the load. So basically I busted my arse during this period and hated my life. As per my previous post I got a 'dream job' then was quickly laid off after my boss was due to corporate merger.

Started my own thing and taught myself how to sell, how to market, how to build websites, how to advertise etc. Mentors and google can teach you everything you need to know to make a million/billions these days.

In conclusion, F*ck school. F*ck trying like heck to get a $50k/year job only to get laid off to corporate merger or other bullshit. Yes my experience is limited and I am bias but I'd rather work for myself or a small like minded startup than corporate. I won't be as bitter once I repay my loans in full but I can honestly say going $40k in debt for grad school in this economy is a risky proposition.

The old system is broken and as fastlaners we know that WE and only WE are in control of our destiny. If I want a raise now, I go out and get myself one by selling... Not beg my master for a salary bump trying to pitch him/her why I provide so much value.

"I'd rather live a day as a lion, than a lifetime as a sheep."

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.