The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Good place to sell domain names

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
I have about 20 domains registered in my name and have listed them with Sedo in order to find buyers. However, lately, I'm disappointed about the results (lack of interest). Of course the lack of interest can be due to the quality of my domains, but nevertheless I'm looking for a good alternative place to offer my domain names for sale.
I would appreciate your advice (based on your experience) for a good alternative for Sedo.com.
Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

carlhuber

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2008
NY
Here's a business thought...why don't you startup a new place for people to sell through? The one time I had to buy a domain from someone it was through Sedo and I hated it. I bet there's a lot of revolution possible in that industry.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Check out moniker, godaddy tdnam and namedrive has an area to sell domains also

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Carl, thanks for the interesting idea of starting my own business for selling domains. However, for me that is not a good option at the moment. I am in the middle of the start-up of a new fastlane business in the medical/health industry. Collecting a few domain names is not more than a gamble for me. So far, I have made enough money each year by selling a few names to pay for the registration fee for the others and to even make a small profit without putting any effort in.
That's basically what I would like to continue to do, but with the slowdown in offers that I receive through Sedo, I may not even reach the break-even point this year.

Jorge, thanks for your suggestions. Being interested in domain names I knew all the services mentioned by you, but I hope to get some first hand information about actual experience with those services.

michael515

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Aug 27, 2007
namepros.com
sitepoint.com/marketplace

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I've tried sedo and namedrive. Namedrive worked way better for me, because I tweaked all the template and got a 40% conversion. Later I sold the name on namedrive for a nice 1000% profit :) I had it listed on sedo for about 2 months without any bid.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Jorge, thanks. I had a close look at Namedrive's templates and I like them much better than Sedo's. Your conversion percentage is very impressive.
Therefore, I've decided to start transferring my domain names to NameDrive and will tweak the keywords in order to maximize conversion as you've done.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Jorge, I have one more question.
Is it possible for you to say (assuming right keywords etc. being in place) whether in general the "1 click" templates of namedrive have a higher conversion than their portal type templates? Or is it the other way around?

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
It depends on the kind of website you are parking. I tried both and at least in my case the 2 clicks worked better.
Namedrive show you stats on search tearms people where using when visited your site, pay attention to that.
One more thing. Don't migrate all domains at once. I think you'll be better off first trying the service with a few.

Good luck!

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Jorge, thanks for the additional advice. Rep ++
I took it to heart and did not move all domain names at once.
Did you take any action to drive traffic to your NameDrive parked domain pages. If so, are you willing to share some of the things you did?

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I didn't had to because mostly it was type in traffic. That means people just type the address directly in the browser bar...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.