The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Going "off script" with MJ DeMarco

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Funny I do a lot of these podcasts and interviews and I never post them on the forum.

Why?

I don't know why.

Anyway, I thought I should start.

If I remember correctly, I actually enjoyed this one.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hey mj, would love to see you do your sidewalk rants again, funny stuff.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Listening to this made me realize why so many follow the script..... it is a 'step by step'.

Even if not the actual solution, their mind can see it as a valid path and chooses it vs the unknown. It is safe and less 'risky'.

The unscripted route to them is 'unknown' and thus risky.

Those that follow the unscripted route believe in themselves and can accept the unknown as they believe they will figure (or grind) it out.
@MJ DeMarco

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Holy shit, it's like you're in my head @38 mins... literally! I just posted about this for the kid that was asking about blogging...

I had to learn how to fight through the calm before the storm, the lull period when nothing is happening... this is one of the most difficult things I've ever had to endure: you put your heart and soul into something, and there simply. is. no. feedback. loop. -- you start to go a little bonkers, and you have to be able to endure this for months at a time. ("is this going to work? What will people think? What if I fail? I just spent $5k on that equipment, and I have no primary active income coming in... am I making a mistake? Is my gut wrong? What if I F*ck this up? I have no metrics, no revenue, nothing to go on... godammit nothing is happening, how do I know if what I'm doing is the right way?? ")

I don't know why, but this is my most favorite interview I've ever heard you do MJ. Speaks to me on so many levels, and accurately echos my own life experiences so closely, it's almost eerie.

Also, on a personal note, I haven't heard you speak in quite some time... you seem super super polished these days, great voice, relaxed tone, very fluent in off the cuff questions, and excellent info. Awesome job, keep it up!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
Loved the response to the question about Sheryl Sandberg and Tim Cook.

And the cancer corollary explanation "Why do you have wood teeth?" had me, as we say in Australia, pissing myself (US translation: LOL)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm actually surprised to see how much interviews you did already:

A lot of those are very old, done years ago. I took a break from interviewing while writing Unscripted .

I started accepting a few since its release. As @mtnman mentioned, I'm a little better at interviewing now whereas before I wasn't that adept at them. Now I still hate interviews, but now I'm not so bad at them. As they say, practice makes perfect, even with "do what you hate."

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
A lot of those are very old, done years ago. I took a break from interviewing while writing Unscripted .

I started accepting a few since its release. As @mtnman mentioned, I'm a little better at interviewing now whereas before I hated interviews. Now I still hate interviews, but now I'm not so bad at them. As they say, practice makes perfect, even with "do what you hate."

Any chance you'll be starting up your youtube channel? Your interviews provide me with fuel to keep going. Thanks for showing us some wisdom.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.