The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Goggins talked to himself out loud. Do you?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
When we read through Goggins’ book I wanted to ask this question but never did, then I kinda forgot.

Today in a book thread I was reminded of it when I saw some more ppl recommending his book.

I think it was a cool book but this one idea..talking to yourself in the mirror ... I haven’t come across it in any other self-help books before.

Most improvement books refer to it as “mental game” or “self-talk” but Goggins actually shared how he would talk directly into the mirror.

I find this an incredibly hard exercise. And yet... almost all (if not all) of my personal emotional breakthroughs have come when I genuinely care for somebody and I’m encouraging them THE WAY I WOULD WANT TO HEAR IT IF IT WAS ME.

The hardest type of weird woo woo self-help exercise I’ve ever done is when a lady point blank told me to go home and tell myself “I love you” in the mirror.

(I’m aware how messed up this sounds.. but I’m trying to understand this so I might as well be vulnerable.. ish)

But I did it because it came from her and she’s like the sweetest little old Mexican Christian lady you could ever meet and she said it in SUCH a tender way and she lived through some crap that Ive gone through too. It was almost like God sent her into my life at just the right time to tell me..

Anyhoo.. is this a thing? Do any of you do this? By “thing” I mean .. do you think that talking aloud to yourself is a principle that’s MORE powerful than just internal words?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
The best self help is taking action and incrementally making a reality you can be proud of. I don’t care what any of these professional gurus say.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
The best self help is taking action and incrementally making a reality you can be proud of. I don’t care what any of these professional gurus say.

“making a reality you can be proud of”

So basically do the stuff and then you’ll feel the way you want to feel. That’s kinda how I think about it.. but .. hmm..

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
When I used to edit videos, I talked to myself all the time. I found it was like having someone else in there keeping me on point.

I also remember reading about how the brain processes auditory information. As far as the brain is concerned a voice is a voice. Your own speech is just interpreted as a familiar voice, so if you speak negatively about yourself, it will have the same effect on you as a close friend doing the same.

Similarly, if you say great things about yourself, it is like having a good friend boost you up and make you feel better when you're down.

From that point on I stopped calling myself an idiot or stupid when I did something wrong, and would make sure to congratulate myself on a regular basis.

Whether it helps me to be successful or not I don't know, however it does make me a lot happier, and I feel less mentally conflicted.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Anyhoo.. is this a thing? Do any of you do this? By “thing” I mean .. do you think that talking aloud to yourself is a principle that’s MORE powerful than just internal words?

Forgot to answer this; yes I do.

Find a mantra, say it over and over again out loud, and it really is hypnotically invigorating. Try it!

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
There are practical benefits to saying things out loud.

If I'm working on a problem, sometimes talking through it out loud helps me solve it.

Interestingly, I've often found that if a student is struggling to play in time, having them count the rhythm out loud helps then get the timing right, exactly.

So engaging the vocal parts of your brain when working on a problem can help solve it.

jpn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
May 6, 2017
Netherlands
In a different context, yes I talk to myself a lot, especially when I need to work something out and see things from all angles I often talk out loud and/or write it down.

Software developers often talk to a rubber duck if they run into a problem they can’t solve. Verbalizing it forces you to structure your thoughts and often makes a solution obvious.

But this is a process for understanding situations and finding solutions. Not About creating a self image, I’ve never used it successfully for that. In that domain, taking action in the direction of being the person I want to be has work exceptionally well.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
When we read through Goggins’ book I wanted to ask this question but never did, then I kinda forgot.

Today in a book thread I was reminded of it when I saw some more ppl recommending his book.

I think it was a cool book but this one idea..talking to yourself in the mirror ... I haven’t come across it in any other self-help books before.

Most improvement books refer to it as “mental game” or “self-talk” but Goggins actually shared how he would talk directly into the mirror.

I find this an incredibly hard exercise. And yet... almost all (if not all) of my personal emotional breakthroughs have come when I genuinely care for somebody and I’m encouraging them THE WAY I WOULD WANT TO HEAR IT IF IT WAS ME.

The hardest type of weird woo woo self-help exercise I’ve ever done is when a lady point blank told me to go home and tell myself “I love you” in the mirror.

(I’m aware how messed up this sounds.. but I’m trying to understand this so I might as well be vulnerable.. ish)

But I did it because it came from her and she’s like the sweetest little old Mexican Christian lady you could ever meet and she said it in SUCH a tender way and she lived through some crap that Ive gone through too. It was almost like God sent her into my life at just the right time to tell me..

you have to make a mp3 file with a recording of your voice .

" i am strong , i am this, i do that "

then you listen to this recording everynight in your bed before going to sleep

your subconscious mind will follow the instruction of the recording.

Robert25

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 3, 2019
San Diego
I definitely talk to myself internally quite frequently. I have not actually tried talking to myself out loud like he suggests. However, when I read, I do sometimes read out loud because I feel like it helps me retain the information. I think these two ideas are pretty similar.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
I love that you brought up the topic, because I wholeheartedly believe in it's efficacy.

Other books I've read have confirmed it from different angles, but my essential takeaway is that it helps you further support your identity, to which every part of your decision making will try to stay consistent with.

I talk to myself during my commutes. I remember when I first started doing this I would call it "Interviews with Ace" to coin the practice. I ask myself important questions, and to answer them it requires my conscious mind to focus my most relevant ideas.

Questions like, what's the best version of myself that I can be? Recognize that today could be your last day here with us, what would you do differently? How can you cast more votes towards the person you aspire to be? What are the most important outcomes you want for yourself today? etc. etc.

It's a focus exercise primarily, and the active use of your extra senses in verbally expressing the ideas, especially if coupled with physical gestures/motions, further highlights the thought and brings it to life. This is what Tony Robbins actively teaches as a part of his NLP practices, he calls them incantations.

I never liked the word he uses, because I don't "incant" to myself, I consult my inner god and chill with my inner child. This way of thinking about it eliminates the weird factor, to which my identity would say "I don't give a F*ck what people think" anyway. I love the face strangers give me when they see me talking out loud to myself in the grocery store. :rofl:

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
“Incantations” doesn’t really mesh well with my belief system...

These are good thoughts though guys. Maybe everybody has their own way of talking to themselves whether we know it or not. That would mean by being intentional about it SOMEHOW we could at least gain control over it...

I do think it all goes back to identity somehow. Hmmm..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.