The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Goal Setting - How to go about it?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Joxsten

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 26, 2020
Goal setting - so vital and important, but how do you go about it the right way?

There are tons of ways to do it, and every successful person and expert (or self proclaimed expert...) have their way own opinion and system to do it.

I’ve tried different approaches, SMART-goals, MJ,s 1, 5, 10 system and many others, but none have really “stuck” with me.

- How do you set goals? Long-term and short-term?
- How do you make sure that they are realistic but not too “safe”?
- How often do you review, adjust and go over your goals?
- How do you make sure that you progress towards them?
- Do you have goals in different areas, or do you stick to around e.g 3-5 goals at a time, to not split your focus?

I’m not looking for a step-by-step guide. Just wanted some input on how others set goals and use them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fiftytwos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
331%
Jun 17, 2020
Owasso, Oklahoma
I'm a very visual person, so I tend to visualize my goals and I ask myself the following questions. They've worked for my long and short term goals! I try to picture myself in the answer to each question.
-Where do I see myself in X number of years?
-What am I doing?
-Who am I with?
-Where do I live?
-What have I accomplished?
-How do I feel?
Those are the basics I look at when thinking about my future, long and short term. Only you can define what you want to see in those answers, your answers could also vary depending on how you feel when asking those questions, so perhaps you can reassess when you are in a good state of mind / happy vs. when you are not.

I really liked MJ's 1,5,10 system, but what you put down for it isn't rigid, and isn't necessarily what you HAVE to follow, like he mentions in unscripted he found his original 1,5,10 paper in his garage one day and read it, it had been around 10 years at that point and he found things on it that he wasn't interested in / didn't value anymore, but a lot of it did come true because those were his core beliefs / what he strives for! Put down what is important to you if you use this system, what do you REALLY want in 1,5, and 10 years. That is how I think long and short term. Like MJ says, start at 10 and work your way backwards, breaking those wants into smaller and smaller pieces, once you get to 1, then things shouldn't look so challenging!

As for making sure they are realistic but not too "safe", only you can really decide that, your goals are your own, big or small. If you set small safe goals for yourself then expect small safe results, if you set giant risky goals for yourself than that is what you'll run towards! You need to define what you want for yourself, no one else can do that for you. If you are happy with safe goals that aren't too risky than stick with that (although since you're here I would guess you want more for yourself, which is great!). If you want to achieve greater things than strive towards them, even if you don't meet a large goal or expectation the fact that you went for it will land you much further than you would with a "safe" goal.

Personally some of my goals / dreams change month to month, but I have a core set of things that are just part of me that I want, and I won't be satisfied until I get them or at least try. So the big stuff usually stays the same if I go over my plan, but little things can change and that's ok, so long as you're taking action in the first place! Dreams just stay dreams until you take action to make them into something more.

Having other people who hold me accountable has made a measurable difference in how I go about reaching my goals, short and long term, if I tell someone close to me about what I want they're going to ask me how I'm doing with it the next time we talk, so I'd better have something to deliver! Otherwise if that system of accountability doesn't work for you there's others out there, I can't say what works best for YOU though because I'm not you, only you know what really holds you accountable, whether that is someone close to you knowing about your plans, a professional, a friend, your goal board on the wall you see every day that reminds you about what you're looking for, etc.

I have many goals personally and professionally, I can easily fill a page with life goals and another with business goals, but I find it best to only focus on 5 or so at at time, choose the 5 that will have the most impact for you in the near future that also fit with your vision for the far future (kind of like setting goals in the 1 year column that build towards the 5 and 10 year ones. Break down your big goals into smaller digestible parts, then act on the small parts with your focus and the rest will follow. Even though getting a Lambo could be one of your goals, you need to follow the goals that get you there such as business goals! Focus on what gets you to your larger goals, personally that means focusing on the most important 3 to 5 of them for me.

I know that this is a lot to read but I hope it helps you find some clarity with your questions!

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
Goal setting - so vital and important, but how do you go about it the right way?

There are tons of ways to do it, and every successful person and expert (or self proclaimed expert...) have their way own opinion and system to do it.

I’ve tried different approaches, SMART-goals, MJ,s 1, 5, 10 system and many others, but none have really “stuck” with me.

- How do you set goals? Long-term and short-term?
- How do you make sure that they are realistic but not too “safe”?
- How often do you review, adjust and go over your goals?
- How do you make sure that you progress towards them?
- Do you have goals in different areas, or do you stick to around e.g 3-5 goals at a time, to not split your focus?

I’m not looking for a step-by-step guide. Just wanted some input on how others set goals and use them.
You might find this article helpful.

Joxsten

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 26, 2020
I'm a very visual person, so I tend to visualize my goals and I ask myself the following questions. They've worked for my long and short term goals! I try to picture myself in the answer to each question.
-Where do I see myself in X number of years?
-What am I doing?
-Who am I with?
-Where do I live?
-What have I accomplished?
-How do I feel?
Those are the basics I look at when thinking about my future, long and short term. Only you can define what you want to see in those answers, your answers could also vary depending on how you feel when asking those questions, so perhaps you can reassess when you are in a good state of mind / happy vs. when you are not.

Thank you for your answer! I really like this. Brings some clarity.
I think my "problem" is i think of goals being to rigid, instead of just thinking of them as a direction/path. Most likely I'm not going to end up exactly where i visioned for myself - i might go another direction at some point and/or go even futher!

How often do you review/adjust your goals? (week, month e.g)

Having other people who hold me accountable has made a measurable difference in how I go about reaching my goals, short and long term, if I tell someone close to me about what I want they're going to ask me how I'm doing with it the next time we talk, so I'd better have something to deliver!

I totally agree. It's funny how we are "afraid" of dissapointing others more than ourselves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joxsten

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 26, 2020
You might find this article helpful.
Thank you - I'll take a read.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.