The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Give me your opinion on my Domain Name For Video Tutorials Site

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
HI I plan on creating a video tutorial website teaching people wordpress, photoshop, and some internet programs.. I also plan on writing articles also about what I learned about internet business..

I selected the name letmelearngraphics.com

My question is does the name sound likes it only meant for graphic design? If start talking more about internet business in the future will the name hurt me?

I would really like someone's opinion...

thanks,
Ruben

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Ruben (as much as I'm glad to be working with you) Let me get this right

You are asking if a name like letmelearnGRAPHICS.com

sounds like it is meant for graphics only

YES YES YES!!! what else could it sound like????!!!!

The word graphics at the end defines the whole thing

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
It sucks.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I was going to do this with a domain I bought a while back, called learnyourweb.com. I have yet to get around to do anything with it because of my main business. But it is going to cost you an arm and a leg to drive traffic though, lots of competition, not a lot of need (though there is some!)

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
Ruben (as much as I'm glad to be working with you) Let me get this right

You are asking if a name like letmelearnGRAPHICS.com

sounds like it is meant for graphics only

YES YES YES!!! what else could it sound like????!!!!

The word graphics at the end defines the whole thing

Damn! Yeah your right! First the idea started with me just teaching photoshop, then I decided to start teaching wordpress and kinda evolved from there.. Oh well its not a big deal the domain only costs 11 bucks I guess I should start thinking about a new name..

But what do you think about the idea?

Flaag

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Jul 1, 2012
What's your unique selling point??
You have lynda.com as competitor, so it better be good.

orinoco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 30, 2012
New Zealand
it's a good idea, but the competition is really stiff

what you're outlining is the type of thing I have used so I'll give you my 2 cents worth on what pissed me off when I used it, this may give you some ideas on how you could market your tutorials to be better than the competition?

I have an older version of adobe suite, and I'm guessing many people also have this problem because its very expensive to upgrade. When I've been looking for tutorials on say indesign it's hard to see what version the tutorial is covering, and it's only when I'm into the first video that it becomes clear that I'm into the wrong one. It wastes my time and really pisses me off.

I found it unnecessarily difficult to navigate around some sites to find each series of videos for each product, and for each series they could have had text outlining the version and links to video for older versions. In short the organisation often sucks. It's been bad enough for me to go away and vow to never go back to some sites.

Your idea is a good one but I'm struggling to see how you could make money from this directly because your competition is free.

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
Well just to clarify most of my tutorials will be about wordpress, photoshop, keyword research, and programs like unique article wizard.. Is it a bad idea to only make tutorials about certain programs?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
teachmehowtoweb.com

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
too long. Generally, you want two words. 3 words max..

orinoco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 30, 2012
New Zealand
Well just to clarify most of my tutorials will be about wordpress, photoshop, keyword research, and programs like unique article wizard.. Is it a bad idea to only make tutorials about certain programs?

nope, its a good idea I think to make tutorial videos about certain programs

my point was you need to be aware there are different versions of each program and your video should state what version it is of very clearly, and your site should be organised so users can find which version of which program they're looking for quickly and easily.

tincho1492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 7, 2011
Uruguay
Agree, don't like the name.

There are already very good players (linda.com, teamtreehouse) so maybe you could think of focusing on a different niche.

Why not teach kids to use WordPress? A monthly subscription service that teachs them about new technologies and how to use them.

Or focusing on SMBs.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Why not build a brand? For instance you dont see something like electronicsstore.com beating something like bestbuy.com. I guarantee you barnesandnoble.com outsells the shit out of onlinebookstore.com.

Honestly domains like that kinda never catch on. No one remembers them. I read it 3 minutes ago and already forgot the exact domain.

mapaul04

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 27, 2011
Do a domain that involves money and relate all your articles/videos to how that will help make money. If your domain involves some sort of money/income reference you can always pivot in the future to something else. Thats my .02
programstomoney.com
makerzofmoney.com
learnyourtools.com
rubenteaches.com

I dont know just some ideas, maybe one of them will inspire you

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Why not build a brand? For instance you dont see something like electronicsstore.com beating something like bestbuy.com. I guarantee you barnesandnoble.com outsells the shit out of onlinebookstore.com.

Honestly domains like that kinda never catch on. No one remembers them. I read it 3 minutes ago and already forgot the exact domain.

Exactly, I don't see the word domain in the name godaddy

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Hey Ruben,

Before I give you more input on this thread, I would really like to know what happened to the 2 other sites you started?

On one of those I put in 1+ hours personally helping out on and it would be nice to know that the advice didn't get buried just because you decided to start your now, 3rd site since you joined.

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
Hey Ruben,

Before I give you more input on this thread, I would really like to know what happened to the 2 other sites you started?

On one of those I put in 1+ hours personally helping out on and it would be nice to know that the advice didn't get buried just because you decided to start your now, 3rd site since you joined.

First off I just want say you pick the perfect name for this forum you definately speak the truth! lol And to answer your question for mystudyguides.com I got my website out of the sandbox (I hired an freelancer to fix the problem) and for my7daydetox.com I barely started to promote another ebook that fits to what people are searching for on my website and I sold my first ebook.

I barely started an internet marketing class and I already learned what I need to do next which is create a bussiness on things I am passionate about so I wont have to depend on SEO or keyword research...Oh and I definately learned alot of from this forum..

Ruben5

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1%
Jul 27, 2011
Dallas
Do a domain that involves money and relate all your articles/videos to how that will help make money. If your domain involves some sort of money/income reference you can always pivot in the future to something else. Thats my .02
programstomoney.com
makerzofmoney.com
learnyourtools.com
rubenteaches.com

I dont know just some ideas, maybe one of them will inspire you

Hey thanks thats some great advice..

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
graphicsinstructor.com I hope the OP sees this before someone snaps it up

edit:seeing that you want more than graphics it's probably not the best choice

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.