The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gift idea

Idea threads

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I had originally posted this idea under MJ's "Ultimate Gift" movie thread, but thought it might be more of a conversation starter here.

As the holiday season approaches, and most of us find ourselves in that weird position of giving co-workers/employees/out-of-state family some sort of gift or gift card to show that we are thinking of them. Usually this gift is anywhere from $20-$100 which means (if you're like me) you run out to the store and grab a bottle of wine or chocolates or a scarf- or all three! ...But what if you were to give a gift that would really make a person smile and felt really personal? Here's my idea, and what I'm going to be doing with friends and co-workers and out-of-state family from now on, (and about half of them are going to do the same!) We are going to email each other with a list of our favorite non-profits and then the person giving the gift will donate time, money or both to the charity as a gift to that person. ...So for example, my charities are the humane society and hospice. I asked my mom to just send me a nice card detailing what she did for each charity- as well as an updated photo of herself. Doing this helps so many people...warm fuzzies all around!

Would donating time/money to a charity in lieu of a gift appeal to you? ...It could also just be part of a gift, for those of you (like my husband) who are banking on a new treadmill and ipod for Christmas! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm giving all my closest friends and relatives donations in their name to "The Human Fund".:rofl:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
lol- Whatever works! ...The idea of giving something valuable (time) to a good cause has somehow morphed to include an ugly Christmas sweater contest (I think that thought was to spend less on a gift, but only in my family would someone link up the two ideas!). The whole premise to the ugly Christmas sweater idea is that you can't spend more than $10 on a sweater, but you do have creative license to decorate it however you want. I can't wait! Now, I just need to find about 1000 jingle bells, 100 red bows, 50 little green tree air fresheners (pine scented of course) and some flashing lights, and I'm all set!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.