The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting Discouraged

DonJulio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Dec 18, 2020
Hello guys, this is my first time posting in the forum, but I am getting very discouraged about entrepreneurship. I have tried for a very long time to get success in business, but all my ideas keep falling flat and I never make any money. I get rejected by customers, by the banks, by everyone it seems like. I have run one successful business that was making $10K per week but then I tried to fire one of the high up managers who sabotaged my business and stole money from me. Since then I can not succeed and am getting made fun of for it by my family and friends. Lately I have been very negative and life has not been so good. What should I do in this situation? Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I have run one successful business that was making $10K per week but then I tried to fire one of the high up managers who sabotaged my business and stole money from me.

I don't understand. Did you not control your own business? Were you the owner? The boss?

If so, there's no way some manager should be able to sabotage your business.

You did it once, you can do it again.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hello guys, this is my first time posting in the forum, but I am getting very discouraged about entrepreneurship. I have tried for a very long time to get success in business, but all my ideas keep falling flat and I never make any money. I get rejected by customers, by the banks, by everyone it seems like. I have run one successful business that was making $10K per week but then I tried to fire one of the high up managers who sabotaged my business and stole money from me. Since then I can not succeed and am getting made fun of for it by my family and friends. Lately I have been very negative and life has not been so good. What should I do in this sitation
Hello guys, this is my first time posting in the forum, but I am getting very discouraged about entrepreneurship. I have tried for a very long time to get success in business, but all my ideas keep falling flat and I never make any money. I get rejected by customers, by the banks, by everyone it seems like. I have run one successful business that was making $10K per week but then I tried to fire one of the high up managers who sabotaged my business and stole money from me. Since then I can not succeed and am getting made fun of for it by my family and friends. Lately I have been very negative and life has not been so good. What should I do in this situation? Thanks!
1. Attitude. What's your body language, facial expressions, moods, and tone of voice say to the customer. Step in their shoes for a moment. What do you sound like? What do you look like? Are you smiling? Frowning?

2. Adversity. Is the biggest part of Entrepreneurship. Life is filled with rocky roads and rough terrain. Are you trying to fly to the top of the mountain fast, or are you walking the trail of the Mountains?

If your a mountain climber, you can be hanging in the middle of the nowhere. And you want to tell me right now hanging there, I'm discouraged! I'm too tired to climb the rest of the way to the top. You look down and see how far you've climbed. Are you discouraged to climb back down to the bottom? There is equal distance. Where do you want to use your energy? You climb up or down, side ways left or right, or jump off a cliff. Always your choice.

3. Balance yourself. Rest. Breathe. Relax. Contemplate. Meditate.

4. Adapt, Adjust, Problem Shoot. What doesn't work? Throw it in the trash. What works? Keep it.

5. What can you do right now with the tools you have, resources you have, and do your 100% best where you are in the present.

6. Network with other people. Meet new people. The more people you meet the better. Once in awhile you find a Gem.

7. If you're hanging on a cliff and your boots get a whole in the toe, are you going to climb all the way back down and go buy a new pair of boots. I would just put some duck tape on them and keep climbing upward.

8. Minimal Luggage. What don't you need? Do you need to fulfill your desires of the five senses of sight, touch, smell, sight, and sound? Do you need what you want? From my experience, what you absolutely need is the essentials in the present. This doesn't mean in the future you won't expand and be able to to have those things. Right now in the present do you need it? Some people believe they need it. Do you really? There should be some money opening up then if you know where you spend your money.

9. Approval, Validation, Attention. Do you need any of this from the external world? If you do this is probably a huge part of the problem. The external world outside of you can say just about anything, will say everything negative about you, gossip, attack your character, your personality, and tell you are not enough to be an Entrepreneur.

They will even tell you your gifts, talents, skills, are not perfect enough. When you master where you don't need those three things you're in a very important place, because those external individual do not determine your destiny.

This is the naysayers, and the negative critics. All of them will ruffle your feathers. You must find the truth out for yourself. You can believe the banks, the entrepreneurs, the neighbors, the friends, the family, but it is all about what you believe.

You can allow them to stop you from achieving your full potential. You can worry about their judgments, their gossip, their smear campaigns, their entitlement, but really, it doesn't matter in the end. You still have to climb up the mountain or climb back down the mountain regardless.

10. Find stories of Entrepreneurs who were in the same spot as you to inspire you to keep going. Someone's been in the same place as you before. Read up on those stories. What did they do?

11. Emotions, Thoughts, Focus, Self-dialogue, Concentration. This all must be conquered. This takes research, application, practice, self-discipline, and taking time every day to work on one of these.

12. Distraction. Cut out as many distractions as you can. I can go in the zone in the middle of a crowd and tune them out, because I trained myself to focus on what I was reading over a long-term.

13. Boundaries. Set personal boundaries with other people. Figure out the restrictions, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures they impose on you. Are they work breaking legally and who are they coming from? Are they the absolute truth? Question everything someone tells you. Figure out whether it's truth or fiction. I've listened to more vlog's, blog's, seminars, workshops, for the last 30 years. There's a lot of shit out there and some of it is just plain garbage. There is tons of useless information that is not truly applicable to your life. Weed out the garbage.

Garbage comes in many forms from different people. Take what applies and leave the rest.

14. Rejection. Master rejection. The world will reject you millions of times throughout your life. Your true value is not found in what the external world projects on to you 95% of the time. They have 1 to 5 % truth about you. The rest is assumptions, conclusions, gossip, rumors, and smear campaigns. Ignore it. Get so use to being rejected, it just doesn't bother you anymore. I read somewhere the more successful in life you become the more you will hear the word "No." It is quite true. It is part of the process. "No" is their favorite word.

15. You don't have time to be discouraged. Are you going to hang on the side of the cliff forever. I doubt it. I think you'd get bored after awhile and start moving forward. Procrastination is fun and all, but really it is pretty boring. It depends on how bored you get sitting around waiting for life to happen.

16. What are the real roadblock vs. what people tell you are your roadblocks. There is a difference.

17. Perfectionism is just kind of nuts. Human Nature is flawed and imperfect. We just tend to project the world needs to be perfect. If you ever walked out in nature, you will find there is nothing perfect. We try to to make things perfect. I used to be a perfectionist. Quite the negative critic, tyrant, and seriously it's beautiful when you let go of that negative inner critic. Sure, pay attention to details, but don't ruin friendship, family, and other relationships in the search of perfect world. It doesn't exist.

18. Discouragement. It means you had expectations of life happening a certain way, in a certain time frame, planned everything out, had your schedules, your budget, your list, your calendars, and the events just didn't turn out the way you planned. This happens all your life. Not just in entrepreneurship.

19. Opposition. It means in whatever you do in life, there will be some person around you that has a different value system, belief system, perspective, perception, and oppose your point of view. They might not agree with you. Might sabotage you. Might be jealous, envious, hate you, think your evil, think your bad, think your selfish, think the worst of you in some shape or form.

You are the Villain in someones imagination all the time, because we love telling stories about other people. We love the tarnish their reputation, we love spread this false interpretation of the different populations, and social classes.

You will also be the hero at the same time for someone. Someone else might find value in you, appreciate you, have gratitude for your existence, your experience, your gifts, and talents. Gravitate towards the people going in the same direction and let go of those who are not going in the same direction. We're not all going in the same direction at the same time.

Opposition just means you stand up for yourself, set your personal boundaries, an be on your way. Don't feed into their drama. "let it go." Find win-win situations where you're respected and valued.

If you're discouraged in life, you have to take a look at your environment, your people around you, your geographical location, and are they lifting you up in life or holding you down?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VayBj8MgrIQ

Last edited:

DonJulio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Dec 18, 2020
I don't understand. Did you not control your own business? Were you the owner? The boss?

If so, there's no way some manager should be able to sabotage your business.

You did it once, you can do it again.
Yes I was majority partner at a hedge fund and owned 75% of the business and we had a few high profile investor clients who were executives of insurance companies. The guy was a junior partner, really acted like a manager, who after I told him to not do a certain trade did it anyway and lost me and my company a lot of money. I fired him for insubordination and offered to pay him out for his end of the contract. After that he slandered my name to my investors and said I was misappropriating the funds, which I was not, most of the investor pulled out. I was making a lot of money at the time, I was really young and super successful and happy. I have attached a photo of where I made $10K in one day from one trade, I had a few of those trades as well at the height of my business.

This one guy screwed over my whole business because of his ego and he could not take a loss, so when the investors pulled out I was left with little to no money to run the business and continue making payroll, plus that crappy trade he did was not helping things either. Its like a run on the bank where everyone takes their money out of the bank at the same time that is the only way it could fail. I continue to trade and do pretty well but as far as making a lot of money and running my business goes I am not doing so well. I can not go back into hedge fund business because my name has been slandered and I can't find any high profile clients to invest anymore.

Attachments

• 10 grand trade.jpg
    10 grand trade.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

DonJulio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Dec 18, 2020
1. Attitude. What's your body language, facial expressions, moods, and tone of voice say to the customer. Step in their shoes for a moment. What do you sound like? What do you look like? Are you smiling? Frowning?

2. Adversity. Is the biggest part of Entrepreneurship. Life is filled with rocky roads and rough terrain. Are you trying to fly to the top of the mountain fast, or are you walking the trail of the Mountains?

If your a mountain climber, you can be hanging in the middle of the nowhere. And you want to tell me right now hanging there, I'm discouraged! I'm too tired to climb the rest of the way to the top. You look down and see how far you've climbed. Are you discouraged to climb back down to the bottom? There is equal distance. Where do you want to use your energy? You climb up or down, side ways left or right, or jump off a cliff. Always your choice.

4. Adapt, Adjust, Problem Shoot. What doesn't work? Throw it in the trash. What works? Keep it.

5. What can you do right now with the tools you have, resources you have, and do your 100% best where you are in the present.

6. Network with other people. Meet new people. The more people you meet the better. Once in awhile you find a Gem.

7. If you're hanging on a cliff and your boots get a whole in the toe, are you going to climb all the way back down and go buy a new pair of boots. I would just put some duck tape on them and keep climbing upward.

8. Minimal Luggage. What don't you need? Do you need to fulfill your desires of the five senses of sight, touch, smell, sight, and sound? Do you need what you want? From my experience, what you absolutely need is the essentials in the present. This doesn't mean in the future you won't expand and be able to to have those things. Right now in the present do you need it? Some people believe they need it. Do you really? There should be some money opening up then if you know where you spend your money.

9. Approval, Validation, Attention. Do you need any of this from the external world? If you do this is probably a huge part of the problem. The external world outside of you can say just about anything, will say everything negative about you, gossip, attack your character, your personality, and tell you are not enough to be an Entrepreneur.

They will even tell you your gifts, talents, skills, are not perfect enough. When you master where you don't need those three things you're in a very important place, because those external individual do not determine your destiny.

This is the naysayers, and the negative critics. All of them will ruffle your feathers. You must find the truth out for yourself. You can believe the banks, the entrepreneurs, the neighbors, the friends, the family, but it is all about what you believe.

You can allow them to stop you from achieving your full potential. You can worry about their judgments, their gossip, their smear campaigns, their entitlement, but really, it doesn't matter in the end. You still have to climb up the mountain or climb back down the mountain regardless.

10. Find stories of Entrepreneurs who were in the same spot as you to inspire you to keep going. Someone's been in the same place as you before. Read up on those stories. What did they do?

11. Emotions, Thoughts, Focus, Self-dialogue, Concentration. This all must be conquered. This takes research, application, practice, self-discipline, and taking time every day to work on one of these.

12. Distraction. Cut out as many distractions as you can. I can go in the zone in the middle of a crowd and tune them out, because I trained myself to focus on what I was reading over a long-term.

13. Boundaries. Set personal boundaries with other people. Figure out the restrictions, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures they impose on you. Are they work breaking legally and who are they coming from? Are they the absolute truth? Question everything someone tells you. Figure out whether it's truth or fiction. I've listened to more vlog's, blog's, seminars, workshops, for the last 30 years. There's a lot of shit out there and some of it is just plain garbage. There is tons of useless information that is not truly applicable to your life. Weed out the garbage.

Garbage comes in many forms from different people. Take what applies and leave the rest.

14. Rejection. Master rejection. The world will reject you millions of times throughout your life. Your true value is not found in what the external world projects on to you 95% of the time. They have 1 to 5 % truth about you. The rest is assumptions, conclusions, gossip, rumors, and smear campaigns. Ignore it. Get so use to being rejected, it just doesn't bother you anymore. I read somewhere the more successful in life you become the more you will hear the word "No." It is quite true. It is part of the process. "No" is their favorite word.

15. You don't have time to be discouraged. Are you going to hang on the side of the cliff forever. I doubt it. I think you'd get bored after awhile and start moving forward. Procrastination is fun and all, but really it is pretty boring. It depends on how bored you get sitting around waiting for life to happen.

16. What are the real roadblock vs. what people tell you are your roadblocks. There is a difference.

17. Perfectionism is just kind of nuts. Human Nature is flawed and imperfect. We just tend to project the world needs to be perfect. If you ever walked out in nature, you will find there is nothing perfect. We try to to make things perfect. I used to be a perfectionist. Quite the negative critic, tyrant, and seriously it's beautiful when you let go of that negative inner critic. Sure, pay attention to details, but don't ruin friendship, family, and other relationships in the search of perfect world. It doesn't exist.

18. Discouragement. It means you had expectations of life happening a certain way, in a certain time frame, planned everything out, had your schedules, your budget, your list, your calendars, and the events just didn't turn out the way you planned. This happens all your life. Not just in entrepreneurship.

19. Opposition. It means in whatever you do in life, there will be some person around you that has a different value system, belief system, perspective, perception, and oppose your point of view. They might not agree with you. Might sabotage you. Might be jealous, envious, hate you, think your evil, think your bad, think your selfish, think the worst of you in some shape or form.

You are the Villain in someones imagination all the time, because we love telling stories about other people. We love the tarnish their reputation, we love spread this false interpretation of the different populations, and social classes.

You will also be the hero at the same time for someone. Someone else might find value in you, appreciate you, have gratitude for your existence, your experience, your gifts, and talents. Gravitate towards the people going in the same direction and let go of those who are not going in the same direction. We're not all going in the same direction at the same time.

Opposition just means you stand up for yourself, set your personal boundaries, an be on your way. Don't feed into their drama. "let it go." Find win-win situations where you're respected and valued.

If you're discouraged in life, you have to take a look at your environment, your people around you, your geographical location, and are they lifting you up in life or holding you down?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VayBj8MgrIQ
Hey I would really like to thank you so much for this response and for caring. Your post really helped me out and turned me around. It is good to be in a community full of uplifting positive people like yourself, when everyone around you is negative and cynical.

Last edited:

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
I've said this in the past.

If you're discouraged after having had tangible success in the past, then it might not be for you long term to pursue the fastlane.

There are people who haven't made a dollar yet, are deep in debt, or have their real lives being affected by all the failures found throughout the process. There's definitely people with a combination of all of the above out there too.

This isn't for everyone.
Is it for you?

DonJulio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Dec 18, 2020
I've said this in the past.

If you're discouraged after having had tangible success in the past, then it might not be for you long term to pursue the fastlane.

There are people who haven't made a dollar yet, are deep in debt, or have their real lives being affected by all the failures found throughout the process. There's definitely people with a combination of all of the above out there too.

This isn't for everyone.
Is it for you?
I have succeeded before and am not going back to working a 9-5. I have felt the joys of making a lot of money and being a boss, I will not be going back to mediocrity.

D

Deleted85763

I met a billionaire earlier in my career and he told me "I had been in so many business, many that failed but then I hit it big with (I won't say it) and then with (name)." The last time I read about him in the news he was worth many billions.

The moral of the story: Failure is actually to be expected (and welcomed) and is not bad at all! Keep on going, learn and you'll eventually succeed. Be your own person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

If you're discouraged in life, you have to take a look at your environment, your people

Hey I would really like to thank you so much for this response and for caring. Your post really helped me out and turned me around. It is good to be in a community full of uplifting positive people like yourself, when everyone around you is negative and cynical.
If you're climbing a mountain, you never get to the top in a day, a month, or even a year at times.

You have to have the right tools, the right equipment, the right gear, train, practice, and hone those skills.

Entrepreneurship is just like mountain climbing. You can be in dangerous territory at times, a safe zone, and those unexpected situations arrive at times. Life will throw all kinds of things at you.

The biggest mistake people make is getting trapped in panic, worry, anxiety, and start stressing themselves out in the middle of chaos and confusion. We see this happening in society in 2020-2021.

If you stay calm no matter what it looks like around you or what events are happening in your life, you can stay focused on your goals.

Liberators like myself will show up just to make sure you keep climbing.
Others will restrict you and block you. It's always the liberator's who point the way out of the obstacles, rough terrain, and adversity.

I learned from my grandfather who liberated the Jews in WWII, you always show up to liberate others. Imagine if the U.S. Army, Canada, U.K., and Australia never showed up. What if the women never showed up to do their part. We all play our part in this world. I spent my life watching the U.S. Coast Guard right in front of my eyes on the rough waves of Lake Michigan.

If you grow up in a Military/Government family you learn you leave no soldier behind. While some individuals will leave others behind, it may just be they haven't been brought up by firemen, military men, and medical/mental health professionals like myself.

You choose to be a Hero every day, every time you lift someone else up, every time you inspire them, every time you get in the trenches with them, climb the mountain with them, and be a leader instead of a follower.

My pleasure to serve in 2021. I wish you good luck in the process! Keep climbing!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Sounds like you are on your way to making it.

If you read biographies of successful businessmen they get hit hard many times before making it.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
If it’s motivation you seek, take a subway/tube/ train ride at 6AM on a weekday and look at the people around you.

You’ll walk back, very motivated to keep trying. Because the alternative is way scarier.

D

Deleted85763

I will just add you are not alone - I was recently made fun of by family. And before that by friends. What hurts is that I have always tried to develop the best relationship with them and they treat me this? Some of them are just projecting their failure on me, for sure. One is a moocher and simply a tramp who knows they don't have what it takes to even have a decent life. The others don't understand entrepreneurship. They only understand "Do you have a big house, cars, lots of new clothes, etc..

I'm currently trying to work some transactions with some major companies. One will work out and when it does those people who made fun of me will not know and then I'm off Italy for the fall. The entire fall. Then they'll all respect me again but I won't respect them! And they'll never know.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yes I was majority partner at a hedge fund and owned 75% of the business and we had a few high profile investor clients who were executives of insurance companies. The guy was a junior partner, really acted like a manager, who after I told him to not do a certain trade did it anyway and lost me and my company a lot of money. I fired him for insubordination and offered to pay him out for his end of the contract. After that he slandered my name to my investors and said I was misappropriating the funds, which I was not, most of the investor pulled out. I was making a lot of money at the time, I was really young and super successful and happy. I have attached a photo of where I made $10K in one day from one trade, I had a few of those trades as well at the height of my business.

This one guy screwed over my whole business because of his ego and he could not take a loss, so when the investors pulled out I was left with little to no money to run the business and continue making payroll, plus that crappy trade he did was not helping things either. Its like a run on the bank where everyone takes their money out of the bank at the same time that is the only way it could fail. I continue to trade and do pretty well but as far as making a lot of money and running my business goes I am not doing so well. I can not go back into hedge fund business because my name has been slandered and I can't find any high profile clients to invest anymore.
We've all been there, done that at one time or another. What you are experiencing is a slice of life and one turn in the normal business cycle. The questions are:

What did you learn from your great fall?
Do you have the grit to get up and do it again?
Can you live down the negative press you've gotten in your last business splat?
What doors can you open for yourself today? Who can you talk to?
What can you do at moment to further your goals?

It comes down to one thing -- can you make lemonade out of lemons??????

And I have some big sister advice on failures -- they are a LOT more powerful than successes because you remember them and study them. They are that sobering moment that can't be ignored or partied away. Right now you need one client to start you off again. That's all you should be looking for at the moment. And when you find that one, take very good care of him. Then you can go out and look for a second client. It's all in the baby steps...

DonJulio

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Dec 18, 2020
I will just add you are not alone - I was recently made fun of by family. And before that by friends. What hurts is that I have always tried to develop the best relationship with them and they treat me this? Some of them are just projecting their failure on me, for sure. One is a moocher and simply a tramp who knows they don't have what it takes to even have a decent life. The others don't understand entrepreneurship. They only understand "Do you have a big house, cars, lots of new clothes, etc..

I'm currently trying to work some transactions with some major companies. One will work out and when it does those people who made fun of me will not know and then I'm off Italy for the fall. The entire fall. Then they'll all respect me again but I won't respect them! And they'll never know.
I feel like that’s all my parents and friends understand do you have the cars, house and clothes? If not then you are not a successs.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.