The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getacoder.com

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
I'm planning on a launching a site in the next few months that will require some programming and designing work. Since I'm no expert on this I started looking to oustsource these tasks and found the site Getacoder.com.

Any of you guys has any experience working with this or similar sites?

I like their concept as it allows you to specify your budget and you get a deadline from whoever offers to do the work. The rating system should be useful in choosing who you hire to do the work.

My main concerns are:
What prevents whoever you hire to do the job from stealing or re-selling your concept?
If you need changes in the future will it be possible for another programmer to work on this?

Anyway, has some of you have developed successful sites before I'm looking to any advice you might have on outsourcing your coding.

Thanks in advance :tiphat:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewG

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Nov 3, 2007
I would check out RentACoder.com I've used them before. I didn't think the quality of the coding was that great, but my max bid was low, so all the great programmers wouldn't bid on it. As for your concern about someone stealing your idea, RentACoder has an NDA option where interested people have to sign one first before seeing the details of your project. This reduces the number of bids on your project but may protect your idea.

-Andrew

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
I would check out RentACoder.com I've used them before. I didn't think the quality of the coding was that great, but my max bid was low, so all the great programmers wouldn't bid on it. As for your concern about someone stealing your idea, RentACoder has an NDA option where interested people have to sign one first before seeing the details of your project. This reduces the number of bids on your project but my protect your idea.

-Andrew

Thanks for the tip.

Rep +

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
You can also search around elance.com, whenever I was looking to build a site, that was where I would check prices for different projects. It's actually pretty cool the way they have it set up, the people willing to do the work bid the price they're willing to do it for, and you can pick whichever one you're willing to pay, for a programmer/designer/etc. that has a background you can check out; and from what I've heard they're usually very professional.

However, I haven't used them, so take that with a grain of salt... But, it's certainly something worth looking into.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
Or you can go with us (www.aptohosting.com), and be 100% guaranteed that your job will be done correctly the first time, by English speaking Americans, and we won't steal your idea... Oh and you will get a 24/7/365 phone support!

But then again we are a bit bias :)

Thanks
Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com
1-866-404-9090

Sparky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 28, 2007
London
Or you can go with us (www.aptohosting.com), and be 100% guaranteed that your job will be done correctly the first time, by English speaking Americans, and we won't steal your idea... Oh and you will get a 24/7/365 phone support!
I was under the impression aptohosting was only for hosting.:bgh::wtf: (darn, where's that confused smiley? :rofl::blush:)

What type of development do you do? Is it inhouse for you or do you outsource it?

International partners?

Sparks

Andrew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 8, 2007
Here are some suggestions based on my own experiencing hiring programmers.

#1 - Make sure the programmer responds in clear and understandable English. My full time programmer is from the Philippines, I give him a project and he understands and its done right the first time. When I have used freelancers with broken English its been a disaster every single time. Even basic data entry projects need 3-4 revisions combined with 4-5x the volume of e-mail exchange.

which leads to the next big thing..

#2 Make sure you can get them on instant messenger or phone. I once had a project dragged out for 2 months. It finally got to the point I threatened payment reversal if they didn't get on AIM immediately. The project was fully functional and working within a few hours. If I was using email the back and forth would have taken another week.

Getting a good programmer is a big challenge, usually there are reasons they are freelancing, and they are not in your benefit..

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
I was under the impression aptohosting was only for hosting.:bgh::wtf: (darn, where's that confused smiley? :rofl::blush:)

What type of development do you do? Is it inhouse for you or do you outsource it?

International partners?

Sparks

Nope,

We have in-house developers and designers! We do AJAX, HTML/CSS, PHP/MYSQL, .ASP, pretty much every initial in the book!

We are currently working on a couple projects for the members on this board! You can check out our latest job at www.findyourink.com.

Thanks
Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com
1-866-404-9090

CoMp1eX

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 1, 2007
Tom that site looks great, i'm still interested in getting something done by you guys.

BTW, "place" is spelled wrong on the first paragraph of the site you posted..

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
Tom that site looks great, i'm still interested in getting something done by you guys.

BTW, "place" is spelled wrong on the first paragraph of the site you posted..

Thanks,

We haven't delivered the site yet, all the copy on that page hasn't been reviewed! But thanks for the heads up, we will get that edited asap.

Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com
1-866-404-9090

seanbraford

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 14, 2008
San Francisco & Europe
I'm a developer, and might be able to help.

I'm pretty high end though =) Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes you can find really great bargains through these sites, and the code is still pretty decent.

M-M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 27, 2007
NC
That's my site. And yes, it's no fully reviewed yet, but thanks for the heads up. It's being tested right now and should go live next week. Everyone's invited!

Working with Apto and Tom has been a fantastic experience and the result speaks for itself. Communication has been flawless and always quick and very responsive. While I've never done anything like this before I have nothing but praise for Apto.

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
That's my site. And yes, it's no fully reviewed yet, but thanks for the heads up. It's being tested right now and should go live next week. Everyone's invited!

Working with Apto and Tom has been a fantastic experience and the result speaks for itself. Communication has been flawless and always quick and very responsive. While I've never done anything like this before I have nothing but praise for Apto.

Marius,

Thank you for the kind words!

I have received your emails, Justin and I are reviewing them and we will make the changes as soon as we can.

Thanks again, and look forward to working with you again!

Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com
1-866-404-9090

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!