The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Get educated online? a bad/good idea?

Idea threads

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
Let's assume that i don't care about any certificates what-so-ever. I really want to focus on the knowledge itself and be very good at what I do.
i don't have enough money to go to college but I love to learn and can teach myself a lot of things, but i never went as far as trying to get educated as a college student.

what are your thought on online learning? there's a program called MIT OCW. how crazy is trying to learn all by yourself? especially if i want to learn subject such as electrical engineering.

the biggest fear i have is to fail achieving the necessary study material.
i think it's worth a try. please type your opinion/recommendations especially if you've done that!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
Let's assume that i don't care about any certificates what-so-ever. I really want to focus on the knowledge itself and be very good at what I do.
i don't have enough money to go to college but I love to learn and can teach myself a lot of things, but i never went as far as trying to get educated as a college student.

what are your thought on online learning? there's a program called MIT OCW. how crazy is trying to learn all by yourself? especially if i want to learn subject such as electrical engineering.

i think it's worth a try. please type your opinion/recommendations especially if you've done that!

https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/myprojects/mit-challenge-2/

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'm on a phone but I'll add some more short detail.

I studied Construction Engineering for four years and never worked a day as one.

I talked my way into being a petroleum drilling engineer and learned from books off amazon, some notes I got from work and asking people questions. I increased my wages over 10 times in one year.

I did the same this year with web design. YouTube videos, online courses and Udemy. I'm making good money and it's getting better each week.

It's completely possible to teach yourself with so many resources available today. In fact it's probably advantageous since you can learn from successful experts directly and not from a lecturer who probably never had much success themselves (most of mine had zero real world experience).

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
I'm on a phone but I'll add some more short detail.

I studied Construction Engineering for four years and never worked a day as one.

I talked my way into being a petroleum drilling engineer and learned from books off amazon, some notes I got from work and asking people questions. I increased my wages over 10 times in one year.

I did the same this year with web design. YouTube videos, online courses and Udemy. I'm making good money and it's getting better each week.

It's completely possible to teach yourself with so many resources available today. In fact it's probably advantageous since you can learn from successful experts directly and not from a lecturer who probably never had much success themselves (most of mine had zero real world experience).

This reminds of the gold thread by @RHL

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/getting-started-is-this-simple.63602/

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
Guys, THANK YOU SO MUCH. i made a

Guys, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I decided to give myself a week to try to plan a curriculum. this is exactly the information i needed, it gives me hope.
i prefer working right now to be able to pay the bills and save a little cash for future ventures and study materials. by the way- the materials i'm looking for even not available in universities in my country.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I have six years of higher education - a bachelors and a masters.

Out of everything I learned in my entire life, there was one source of information that got me results.
Amazon.com - read books
YouTube.com - watch videos.

I said 1, not 2

Experience

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I think a lot of online courses can sometimes just lead down the rabbit hole of procrastination. Believe me, I'm trying to climb out of it. My procrastination hole is deep!

I tried, I think it was MIT's, Entrepreneurship course and found it to be very dry and mostly theory. I've semi-worked on mostly computer programming courses that I never finished. I've watched and listened to countless Youtube channels/videos relating to value investing. I was always in that beginner's loop acting like I was learning something even though it was just the same beginner steps told 30 different ways.

Keep pushing yourself toward more advanced topics. I think it can be valuable in a lot of ways as long as you follow through. I always think about how Elon Musk learned how to launch rockets into space by reading books. He actually took that knowledge and put it to use.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I totally resonate with this video. He mentions "Do It Yourself Degree" which was an ebook/plan by Jay Cross and because of that ebook, I saved somewhere around $4,000 and around a year and a half of my life. Self education by certifications I believe will be the future.

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
I think a lot of online courses can sometimes just lead down the rabbit hole of procrastination. Believe me, I'm trying to climb out of it. My procrastination hole is deep!

I tried, I think it was MIT's, Entrepreneurship course and found it to be very dry and mostly theory. I've semi-worked on mostly computer programming courses that I never finished. I've watched and listened to countless Youtube channels/videos relating to value investing. I was always in that beginner's loop acting like I was learning something even though it was just the same beginner steps told 30 different ways.

Keep pushing yourself toward more advanced topics. I think it can be valuable in a lot of ways as long as you follow through. I always think about how Elon Musk learned how to launch rockets into space by reading books. He actually took that knowledge and put it to use.

I can relate to that, because I achieved great knowledge but always stayed on the beginner stuff. however, what i concluded the solution is to plan a curriculum before i start studying so i can always track where i'm standing and keep my progress into more advanced stuff.So by reading books- are you talking about the method to study? (meaning that these MIT online courses are just bad but the idea to study alone can be beneficial?).

I totally resonate with this video. He mentions "Do It Yourself Degree" which was an ebook/plan by Jay Cross and because of that ebook, I saved somewhere around $4,000 and around a year and a half of my life. Self education by certifications I believe will be the future.

Thanks, i'm going to buy this ebook.

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
I quit 6 months into my Software Engineering degree and have been mainly self taught since aside from a few IT industry certifications over the year. I learned fast that my degree was going to put me 4 years and $25,000 behind the game. Sure enough my first full time job I was paid the same as all of the successful graduates from my same degree, only I had 3.5 years on them.

Knowledge is knowledge. If you don't have certificates you may have to hustle a bit harder and prove your worth, but if you want to be in the fastlane it's better for you to learn that sooner rather than later anyway.

Good luck!

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015

Knowledge is a commodity. What's your end goal?

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015

What is ultimately your end goal with learning this information? I think I read a statistic somewhere that you forget 80% of what you learn after 3 months.

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
Knowledge is a commodity. What's your end goal?
What is ultimately your end goal with learning this information? I think I read a statistic somewhere that you forget 80% of what you learn after 3 months.

Look for fastlane opportunities in the future vehicle communication technology industry & get better understanding of economy and business(looking to learn engineering and business).

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
You can get the knowledge, but you may not be able to put it to use. In my province you need a license to provide engineering services to the public, or even to call yourself an engineer. Engineers may be Libertarian in nature, but they are also conservative. You are not very likely to be granted a license without an engineering degree.

G

GuestUserX09

It comes down to which avenue would allow you to implement best.

Some people choose school because they need the structure, forced homework, grades, etc.

You can definitely learn everything in class and more from sources online but without any structure, it may potentially benefit you less.

I've done an even mixture of both, I'm still on the fence about which has had the largest tangible results for me.

YoungPadawan

Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Look for fastlane opportunities in the future vehicle communication technology industry & get better understanding of economy and business(looking to learn engineering and business).
In my personal opinion, if you are looking for a JOB in the industry, you would probably need a degree or some sort of certification. If you are looking to build your own company with this knowledge, you can definitely learn all you need to learn online and at your local library.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
In my personal opinion, if you are looking for a JOB in the industry, you would probably need a degree or some sort of certification. If you are looking to build your own company with this knowledge, you can definitely learn all you need to learn online and at your local library.

Example of this would be Elon.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-elon-musk-learned-rocket-science-for-spacex-2014-10
https://www.quora.com/How-did-Elon-Musk-learn-enough-about-rockets-to-run-SpaceX

hatzil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Nov 29, 2015
Israel
It comes down to which avenue would allow you to implement best.

Some people choose school because they need the structure, forced homework, grades, etc.

You can definitely learn everything in class and more from sources online but without any structure, it may potentially benefit you less.

I've done an even mixture of both, I'm still on the fence about which has had the largest tangible results for me.

This structure is my biggest barrier. im currently experimenting by taking notes,tracking and just started reading @YoungPadawan ebook suggestion to see if i can make a plan.

I'm not looking for a job. clearly- I am taking a risk; but i really have good reasons for that. btw thank you for the ebook suggestion, it's really helpful!

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
Of course it's a good idea, but don't fall for the memes like OCW or that stuff. Find a couple of e-books and put them to the test, you'll learn more stuff more quickly than with OCW.

Sent from my 4013X using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.