The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Get Cashflow with Affiliate Marketing

Giuseppe verdi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 23, 2019
Naples, Italy
Hi Giuseppe, I hope you and yours are keeping well.

I have a few questions for you. What countries do you usually target and how has the pandemic affected Facebook cost per click, if at all?

Also how accurate in your experience would you say the Wordstream CPC and Click Through rates are in the verticals you market in?

facebook_benchmarks_2019_CPC.png

facebook_benchmarks_2019_CTR_0.png
Hi RazorCut,I'm ok, I hope the same for you.

Usually I run Italian campaigns and we haven't (for now) increase of CPC, just a little bit.

I couldn't tell you since I've never used WordStream.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rabbitizzle

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 25, 2013
Hi, thanks for sharing your knowledge! I had a couple questions:
  • How often do you test new ads?
  • Do you have a designer on your media buying team?
  • What blackhat strategies can you run on FB?
  • How do you test if a new product is worth running on FB or not?
  • Has FB ever banned your accounts?

Giuseppe verdi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 23, 2019
Naples, Italy
Hi, thanks for sharing your knowledge! I had a couple questions:
  • How often do you test new ads?
  • Do you have a designer on your media buying team?
  • What blackhat strategies can you run on FB?
  • How do you test if a new product is worth running on FB or not?
  • Has FB ever banned your accounts?
Hi rabbitizzle, you are welcome! I'll try to answer point by point:
  • When I have to launch a new ads, I start to study the product I have to sell, then:
- I create landing pages
- I create facebook page
- I study my target ( interests, age, gender, etc.)
- I create creativity that I will use to run campaigns (images and videos)
- I prepare Facebook campaign
- Launch of the campaign

Usually I try to start 1 campaign with 3 adset with 1 ad for its (with image or video and copy). I can try with 30$/day or 90$/day (depends on budget) for CPA like 22$.
The next day I'm going to check to see if I've had any conversions. If an adset doesn't convert within 2xCpa value then I turn it off. I leave only what goes on and try to make other ads to increase the ad winning. If the campaign is profitable in the first 3 days then I work it.
If it doesn't convert within 3 days I turn it off.
This is a brief summary of how to test a sales campaign on Facebook.
  • Yes, we have a designer for big project. But all guys in the media buyer team are skilled in editing video, editing photo so they don't need designer.
  • To blackhat with Facebook you have to know how to use tracker and cloaker. It's the only way today. This way you can launch products that would not be allowed by Facebook's policy.
  • I'll try to see if there's a question first, thanks to the tools that facebook gives you to study the target. Then I see if there are competitors selling similar products. Then the real test is to launch a campaign and see how the market responds.
  • I can't remember how many bans we received. xD
I hope I've been helpful. ;)

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Hi rabbitizzle, you are welcome! I'll try to answer point by point:
  • When I have to launch a new ads, I start to study the product I have to sell, then:
- I create landing pages
- I create facebook page
- I study my target ( interests, age, gender, etc.)
- I create creativity that I will use to run campaigns (images and videos)
- I prepare Facebook campaign
- Launch of the campaign

Usually I try to start 1 campaign with 3 adset with 1 ad for its (with image or video and copy). I can try with 30$/day or 90$/day (depends on budget) for CPA like 22$.
The next day I'm going to check to see if I've had any conversions. If an adset doesn't convert within 2xCpa value then I turn it off. I leave only what goes on and try to make other ads to increase the ad winning. If the campaign is profitable in the first 3 days then I work it.
If it doesn't convert within 3 days I turn it off.
This is a brief summary of how to test a sales campaign on Facebook.
  • Yes, we have a designer for big project. But all guys in the media buyer team are skilled in editing video, editing photo so they don't need designer.
  • To blackhat with Facebook you have to know how to use tracker and cloaker. It's the only way today. This way you can launch products that would not be allowed by Facebook's policy.
  • I'll try to see if there's a question first, thanks to the tools that facebook gives you to study the target. Then I see if there are competitors selling similar products. Then the real test is to launch a campaign and see how the market responds.
  • I can't remember how many bans we received. xD
I hope I've been helpful. ;)

Got a few question:

• What kind of landing pages do you create for affiliate products? I ask because many (most, actually) programs I see require you to send traffic to their lander. Or do you make "bridge" advertorial pages and then link from there?
  • If it's the second, could you make an example of how a funnel like that would look like? A fake example, of course. Is it something like ad ⇒ story or news presell page (your lander) ⇒ their lander?
  • Do you have any experience on native ads networks, like Taboola?
  • Most important q: how do you deal with the bans? How do you get different accounts & how do you deal with having different payment methods on each? I heard something about some banking setup that makes you able to generate credit cards connected to a main account (like for employees and so on), and using that. But it's not my field so I'm very confused. I'm specifically interested in how you do that in Italy.

Thank you for the great info.

Giuseppe verdi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 23, 2019
Naples, Italy
Got a few question:

• What kind of landing pages do you create for affiliate products? I ask because many (most, actually) programs I see require you to send traffic to their lander. Or do you make "bridge" advertorial pages and then link from there?
  • If it's the second, could you make an example of how a funnel like that would look like? A fake example, of course. Is it something like ad ⇒ story or news presell page (your lander) ⇒ their lander?
  • Do you have any experience on native ads networks, like Taboola?
  • Most important q: how do you deal with the bans? How do you get different accounts & how do you deal with having different payment methods on each? I heard something about some banking setup that makes you able to generate credit cards connected to a main account (like for employees and so on), and using that. But it's not my field so I'm very confused. I'm specifically interested in how you do that in Italy.

Thank you for the great info.

• I work with private supplier so I can use my landing page with API connection. If you work with affiliate network you can search another one that work with API. Usually I use an advertorial (with one angle) -> Landing page custom (API) -> Zapier (or program like it) -> CRM advertiser (or affiliate network in your case).
  • Ads Facebook (videos or images) with persuasive copy -> Advertorial (one angle) -> Landing page own (our form) -> Our database for save lead -> Send with Zapier or something like this the lead -> CRM Advertiser (or Affiliate Network)
  • Little bit. I tried but without big result. I tried outbrain, reach effect, taboola.
  • We farm our Facebook profile for use their business manager for run campaign. We have different payment methods cause use bank like that you spoke. You can find this credit card service to Revolut (EN bank) or Soldo (IT bank). With this bank you can generate credit cards connected to a main account and using that.
Enjoy ;)

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
  • I work with private supplier so I can use my landing page with API connection. If you work with affiliate network you can search another one that work with API. Usually I use an advertorial (with one angle) -> Landing page custom (API) -> Zapier (or program like it) -> CRM advertiser (or affiliate network in your case).
  • Ads Facebook (videos or images) with persuasive copy -> Advertorial (one angle) -> Landing page own (our form) -> Our database for save lead -> Send with Zapier or something like this the lead -> CRM Advertiser (or Affiliate Network)
  • Little bit. I tried but without big result. I tried outbrain, reach effect, taboola.
  • We farm our Facebook profile for use their business manager for run campaign. We have different payment methods cause use bank like that you spoke. You can find this credit card service to Revolut (EN bank) or Soldo (IT bank). With this bank you can generate credit cards connected to a main account and using that.
Enjoy ;)
Nice, thank you for your answer! Going to do some research on this now.

Cheers!

solodolo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 16, 2015
Hi Giuseppe and thanks for doing the AMA! Much appreciated in the times where one either gives up or starts eagerly learning new skills. Perfect timing! ;)

Two questions, from a total beginner:

1. Your minimum recommended tech stack, or tools and software to be used. Most importantly for me at this stage - for building landing pages and for tracking (heard some good things about voluum, but maybe there's something more affordable or simply better).

2. Useful resources for a complete beginner - to track someone's progress or learn what are the steps to be taken in the very beginning. Was thinking about joining a paid forum like stm forum, but again, maybe there are some good YouTube channels to be checked.

Many thanks in advance and have a great start of the week!
Solodolo

Giuseppe verdi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 23, 2019
Naples, Italy
@Giuseppe verdi Hope you're well and thanks once again for starting this thread.
Bumping my previous question in case you missed it. Thanks in advance!
Hey solodolo,

I'm sorry, I thought I answered you, but I didn't. Then I'll try to answer you in the best possible way.
To start doing this job, you must have the following skills:

1. To know graphics programs (e.g. Photoshop, or tool like this: https://www.canva.com/ );
2. To know a source of traffic. To start with, I recommend Facebook. You can take free courses on the Blueprint platform ( Facebook Blueprint );
3. Get to know video editing programs (e.g. TechSmith Camtasia | Screen Recorder & Video Editor );
4. Have some budget to invest. (Depends on your availability)
5. Knowledge of code to create Landing Page or alternatively use a CMS like Wordpress with a plug in like Elementor ( Elementor: #1 Free WordPress Page Builder );
6. To track at the beginning I suggest you to use only the pixel of Facebook, without investing money with programs like Voluumm. Once you have mastered the Facebook Pixel, then you will start evaluating an external tracker.
7. Forget about paid forums some STM, at the beginning you can find a lot of information for free on Facebook Blueprint (the link I gave you above) and on various groups on Facebook (ex. Facebook Ad Buyers );

In general I recommend people to start with as little money as possible so that they learn the basics well.

I hope I have been useful to you. If you have more questions go ahead ;)

solodolo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Aug 16, 2015
Hey solodolo,

I'm sorry, I thought I answered you, but I didn't. Then I'll try to answer you in the best possible way.
To start doing this job, you must have the following skills:

1. To know graphics programs (e.g. Photoshop, or tool like this: https://www.canva.com/ );
2. To know a source of traffic. To start with, I recommend Facebook. You can take free courses on the Blueprint platform ( Facebook Blueprint );
3. Get to know video editing programs (e.g. TechSmith Camtasia | Screen Recorder & Video Editor );
4. Have some budget to invest. (Depends on your availability)
5. Knowledge of code to create Landing Page or alternatively use a CMS like Wordpress with a plug in like Elementor ( Elementor: #1 Free WordPress Page Builder );
6. To track at the beginning I suggest you to use only the pixel of Facebook, without investing money with programs like Voluumm. Once you have mastered the Facebook Pixel, then you will start evaluating an external tracker.
7. Forget about paid forums some STM, at the beginning you can find a lot of information for free on Facebook Blueprint (the link I gave you above) and on various groups on Facebook (ex. Facebook Ad Buyers );

In general I recommend people to start with as little money as possible so that they learn the basics well.

I hope I have been useful to you. If you have more questions go ahead ;)
Super thankful for your response @Giuseppe verdi , this is very helpful!
On my way to my first campaign, have a great week!

JRyan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 23, 2019
@solodolo
@Giu

Hey guys
Thanks for bringing this up...
What is the difference between AM and paid advertisement that i have seen in this group?

@solodolo how is the going since you been 6 months in?

DashRendar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Jan 7, 2021
Hello everyone.

This is my fist post on FLF and I hope than I can help you to start your entrepreneurial activity. I've been doing affiliate marketing for over a year. I started by launching campaigns on facebook with only 5€ per day until today I spend more than 4-5K/day. Affiliate marketing is not an entrepreneurial activity, I'm aware of that but I think it's a good way for people with little money to generate a cashflow to dedicate to their fastline projects.

For those of you unfamiliar with Affiliate Marketing, let me briefly explain. It's about selling third party products using a source of traffic.
So the actors are: the advertiser (the one who has to sell the product), the affiliate network (the intermediary who puts the advertiser in contact with the sellers) and the affiliate (the sellers, i.e. us).

I have experience of selling with facebook as a traffic source and I make myself available for any questions for those who would like to start generating cash flow to dedicate it to fastline activities.

What would you like to know about this speculation?

Let me know.

Giuseppe
Hi Giuseppe,

I appreciate that you're taking the time to explain your affiliate marketing strategy to others. That said, I can't help but disagree with your logic that affiliate marketing is a great way to generate cashflow.

I am an ex-affiliate myself. I used to sell lead-gen offers on Facebook. I actually had one campaign that was earning me about $6,000 in profit over about 6 months. (I know, not big money. But that's more than 99% of people who try affiliate marketing will ever make.)

Why did I stop? Because earning steady income from affiliate marketing is a complete nightmare. Because you have no control over what you're selling, the offer owner can turn off your income stream whenever they want.

That $6,000 campaign? I had to pause it after I capped out on one of my lead gen offers. The offer owner wasn't doing a good job of monetizing those leads, and the lead quality was much lower than it should have been. I explained the situation with my affiliate manager, but the offer owner did nothing to fix the problem. If I owned the offer, I could have improved the lead quality in a heartbeat just by sending the leads to the right businesses. But I couldn't do that, because I was just an affiliate.

Of course, not having control over the offer isn't that important if you're just trying to raise some capital. Where it becomes a problem is when you lose that source of capital because the offer owner is doing a crappy job monetizing those leads. No one's going to keep paying you if you're not making them money, and all the work you've done as an affiliate becomes worthless once the payouts stop.

Besides, the profit margins in affiliate marketing SUCK. I remember one month where I generated over $6k in revenue, but only made about $1200 in profit. Everything else went into ads and tools. With thin margins like that it's hard to scale a campaign into significant numbers without having a lot of money to begin with or going into significant debt.

It's because of this experience that I think the best way to generate cashflow when starting out is to either get a job or freelance. Think about it. All of have to do is show up, do what's asked of you, and you get paid. There's no risk on your part whatsoever. When you don't have a lot of money to burn through, I think working a regular or freelance job is a much better way to generate capital than trying to be one of the 1% of people who make significant income with affiliate marketing. Just my opinion.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hi Giuseppe,

I appreciate that you're taking the time to explain your affiliate marketing strategy to others. That said, I can't help but disagree with your logic that affiliate marketing is a great way to generate cashflow.

I am an ex-affiliate myself. I used to sell lead-gen offers on Facebook. I actually had one campaign that was earning me about $6,000 in profit over about 6 months. (I know, not big money. But that's more than 99% of people who try affiliate marketing will ever make.)

Why did I stop? Because earning steady income from affiliate marketing is a complete nightmare. Because you have no control over what you're selling, the offer owner can turn off your income stream whenever they want.

That $6,000 campaign? I had to pause it after I capped out on one of my lead gen offers. The offer owner wasn't doing a good job of monetizing those leads, and the lead quality was much lower than it should have been. I explained the situation with my affiliate manager, but the offer owner did nothing to fix the problem. If I owned the offer, I could have improved the lead quality in a heartbeat just by sending the leads to the right businesses. But I couldn't do that, because I was just an affiliate.

Of course, not having control over the offer isn't that important if you're just trying to raise some capital. Where it becomes a problem is when you lose that source of capital because the offer owner is doing a crappy job monetizing those leads. No one's going to keep paying you if you're not making them money, and all the work you've done as an affiliate becomes worthless once the payouts stop.

Besides, the profit margins in affiliate marketing SUCK. I remember one month where I generated over $6k in revenue, but only made about $1200 in profit. Everything else went into ads and tools. With thin margins like that it's hard to scale a campaign into significant numbers without having a lot of money to begin with or going into significant debt.

It's because of this experience that I think the best way to generate cashflow when starting out is to either get a job or freelance. Think about it. All of have to do is show up, do what's asked of you, and you get paid. There's no risk on your part whatsoever. When you don't have a lot of money to burn through, I think working a regular or freelance job is a much better way to generate capital than trying to be one of the 1% of people who make significant income with affiliate marketing. Just my opinion.

Thanks for the insight...

I delete several affiliate spammers per day here at the forum. I can't imagine being involved in such a racket filled with money chasers where their best idea on building a business is to drop a BIT.LY link at a forum and then hope for some sucker to click.

Click here for Free Training!

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
I'm not a huge fan of affiliate marketing personally, but I did find this thread thorough. Crazy that you're seeing these kinds of numbers only a year in! Fingers crossed nothing happens to your FB ad account, I've never had luck with those haha.

Giuseppe verdi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 23, 2019
Naples, Italy
I'm not a huge fan of affiliate marketing personally, but I did find this thread thorough. Crazy that you're seeing these kinds of numbers only a year in! Fingers crossed nothing happens to your FB ad account, I've never had luck with those haha.
Unfortunately, Facebook is a platform run by algorithms. No one gets by without problems (account ban, BM ban, personal profile limitation). Just don't get discouraged and get going again. Perseverance brings results and therefore numbers. Never give up :)

paulan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 14, 2014
Unfortunately, Facebook is a platform run by algorithms. No one gets by without problems (account ban, BM ban, personal profile limitation). Just don't get discouraged and get going again. Perseverance brings results and therefore numbers. Never give up :)
How lately is going for your team with Facebook? What I can see so far, it is very hard to run new ads from new ad accounts/BMs for certain niches even for just simple lead-gen. Only older add accounts last longer and are much easier to handle in the long term.

Giuseppe verdi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 23, 2019
Naples, Italy
How lately is going for your team with Facebook? What I can see so far, it is very hard to run new ads from new ad accounts/BMs for certain niches even for just simple lead-gen. Only older add accounts last longer and are much easier to handle in the long term.
It's going well. You have meaningless bans, but you manage to sponsor. It's getting more and more difficult, that's true!

Giuseppe verdi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 23, 2019
Naples, Italy
Hi Giuseppe,

Hi DashRendar,

thanks for your opinion.

I only shared my personal experience. I am not saying what is better or worse.
I never wrote that affiliate marketing will make you a steady income, but that it can only give you an initial push to make some money.

I'm not talking about "easy" money, I'm talking about acquiring the skills that will help you generate cash. Also, whatever you want to do today, you have to know how to sell.

If you don't know how to sell, you won't get very far. So my advice was to start with affiliate marketing, but not to make it a solid business over time.

Affiliate marketing is not a business where you have control from the beginning. I am sorry for your negative experience, but I can assure you that when you find the right people (serious affiliation network) you can do well from the beginning.

Then, as you say, if you don't really have money to invest, it's better to start as a freelancer and do what you're already good at.

Cheers

Giuseppe verdi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 23, 2019
Naples, Italy
Thanks for the insight...

I delete several affiliate spammers per day here at the forum. I can't imagine being involved in such a racket filled with money chasers where their best idea on building a business is to drop a BIT.LY link at a forum and then hope for some sucker to click.
Click here for Free Training!
Hi MJ,

Thanks for the spam! :D hahaha

I never said that affiliate marketing is a solid business. In my opinion it can be a good starting point to learn how to sell and to generate some income. It is absolutely not Fastline!

Don't worry I'm not here to spam. :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In my opinion it can be a good starting point to learn how to sell and to generate some income.

Absolutely, and if you can succeed at that, you probably could succeed at anything.

No one gets by without problems (account ban,

If your business model results in regularly getting banned from platforms, you're in the wrong business.

But getting banned is part of the marketing strategy! LOL.

As I said, a money chasing racket for money chasers.

Giuseppe verdi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Oct 23, 2019
Naples, Italy
Absolutely, and if you can succeed at that, you probably could succeed at anything.

If your business model results in regularly getting banned from platforms, you're in the wrong business.

But getting banned is part of the marketing strategy! LOL.

As I said, a money chasing racket for money chasers.
Thanks MJ very much, I'll get out of the hamster wheel as soon as possible.

You are right when you say that a business model that results in being regularly banned from platforms is a bad business. Indeed the Affiliate marketing is not a real business, but a speculation.

I agree with you, getting banned is part of the marketing strategy. ⛔️ hahahahaha

Cheers

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.