The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

G'Day from Down Under

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
Hi all,

I initially learned about TMF and MJ from Pat Flynn's SPI Podcast but wasn't too keen on buying 'another business book' as my bookshelf is already full of business and finance books. I didn't think I needed more theory as I love to consume information especially about business and finance, but I know taking action is where magic happens (which I also struggle with at times). But then I was doing some research on Dane Maxwell and discovered a hot thread with interesting comments that got me intrigued in this forum and the book.

I bought the book a few days ago and haven't been able to put it down since (only a few more chapters to go). You can really sense the passion MJ writes with and the section on the slow lane reminded me of where I'll end up if I don't get on the Fastlane asap. A lot of the things MJ talks about I can totally relate to. And it's great he calls a lot of things out that many other authors/experts/gurus wouldn't dare as it would ruin their revenue stream.

It all started for me after reading Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Which I think was a big paradigm shift as I never wanted to be in business after seeing my parents struggle with their family restaurant. And that started my journey towards financial freedom over 10 years ago. In the past, I haven't been too shy with spending money on experts/gurus/formulas (seminars, home study) which I did get some value out of, but not the riches demonstrated in the sales letters. Things I have gotten involved in include:
  • real estate (renovate & rent; still own rental property)
  • shares (never ended using buy & hold strategy taught in seminar)
  • network marketing (for way too long my wife & I kept the dream alive without profit)
  • scrapbooking service (no market need)
  • internet marketing (ebook and video program still selling after a few years though only small numbers)
  • niche membership website (no market need)
  • iPhone app (hired multiple cheap developers and never launched)
  • After negative experience with cheap developers, I thought I'd learn programming myself (iOS and Ruby on Rails) while trying to come up with idea. But realised, I should have an idea first and then work out how it should be implemented. Now I have forgotten most of what I have learnt.

Which leads me back to how I came across this forum. As I have been struggling to come up with 'feasible' ideas where I had an understanding of the market and have an interest/passion for it (yes, both no-nos in the TMF ), I came across Dane Maxwell's approach to idea extraction which really appealed to me. And to be an expert on the problem and not the solution. I don't plan to join the Foundation but am going to try their approach for getting ideas from target market.

Sorry for writing such a long intro, but after having a fire lit by TMF and seeing that this forum seems like a safe environment, I felt comfortable writing out my history of ventures for the first time.

I hope to learn a lot and will try to share my experiences and knowledge too.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Epictetus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 22, 2012
Hey, welcome to the forums! I'm an Aussie as well.

I'm currently in The Foundation, so my recommendation if you're going down that path and way of doing things is to utterly focus on your idea extraction skills. Learn rapport building, sales, cold calling and when you get on the phone you need to focus on digging and digging and digging. Don't get discouraged either, it's going to take a hell of a lot of work. Dane's skill at this is probably the biggest value item in The Foundation. It's definitely possible to learn it without learning from him, but I'm glad I have learnt it from him because it's saved a hell of a lot of headaches.

Best of luck, if you ever need some advice hit me up!

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
Best of luck, if you ever need some advice hit me up!

Thanks for the welcome Exiatron. And I might take up your offer of advice!

As you mentioned, I get the impression that Dane's idea extraction method is very much the sales approach of finding the problem but without a specific product to sell initially. And like sales, it's probably a numbers game with a lot of rejection. Great tip about focussing on idea extraction skills as that is what most people are probably lacking and it's the hardest thing because it's the first thing you do.

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences with the Foundation.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I initially learned about TMF and MJ from Pat Flynn's SPI Podcast

Ahhh, the gift that keeps on giving.

Welcome aboard -- great to have another person on the other side. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...