The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FTC Orders 'Brain Training' Company Lumosity to Pay $2 Million Over Deceptive Advertising...

Marketing, social media, advertising

FastlaneSupport

Contributor
Staff member
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 4, 2014
'Lumosity simply did not have the science to back up its ads,' said the FTC's director of consumer protection.

WNblxnKdoes

Continue reading...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Turbo

Google/PPC Pro- making my clients $7 figures/mo
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
May 31, 2014
Dallas TX
Interesting to see that the FTC took an interest in the PPC keywords that Lumos was supposedly bidding on. That's surprising, I wonder how long before the FTC starts policing the actual text ads!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread moved outside of news... definitely interesting on multiple fronts.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
Interesting for sure...

I guess the burden of proof is on Lumosity, but where is the FTC proof that it doesn't work? It seems like it's common knowledge that if you use your mind to study or do crossword puzzles and other brain twisters that it does in fact improve your cognizant abilities.

I supposed they got into trouble touting the idea that in can "revert" or "prevent" dementia and Alzheimers.

Clearly, they should have worded their ad copy a little better.

Ross Morgan

Fortch
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Dec 22, 2015
Valencia CA
"...if Lumosity does intend to validate these claims, its games will be classified as a drug and must therefore be approved by the Food and Drug Administration."
Oh boy.. lol

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
"...if Lumosity does intend to validate these claims, its games will be classified as a drug and must therefore be approved by the Food and Drug Administration."
Oh boy.. lol
I think this part is a big overreach. Changing the ad copy, fine. But from a medical device/drug perspective, what's next? Free weights and gyms being regulated by the FDA because strength training may help stave off osteoporosis?

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Reminds me of all those Smart Pills people buy. Pretty sure those will be next, making those outrageous claims. I mean, how do you even test that it makes you smarter? Some of those bottles cost $70. That in itself should be proof that they're not working.

@22:30 - Cerebral Success pitch.

Last edited:

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
I think this part is a big overreach. Changing the ad copy, fine. But from a medical device/drug perspective, what's next? Free weights and gyms being regulated by the FDA because strength training may help stave off osteoporosis?

exactly, I know some people know this here..but the FDA wants to regulate and burden ANY product who makes a health claim and to regulate is as a DRUG basically as they readily admit. They are a gate keeper more than an agency looking to help people altruistically.

I have to remind myself of their less than altruistic intentions daily when I'm forced to watch commercials on tv where the side effects list is 2 minutes long out of 3 minutes! But as long as its said with a pretty face and disclosed to the sheep, all is well in the universe!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.