The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Frustration with Young People

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Hi all,

Just want to get some input from some wise eyes. As the title suggest, my frustration stems from "young people." What exactly is a "young" person? I am referring to more than age. I am referring, mainly, to the lack of motivation, determination, drive, goals, etc...
I am really trying to ramp up my RE investment business and I am REALLY doing all that I possibly can do, in terms of one person. I am making an attractive offer to people of my age to partner up with me, help out, get paid well, but NO ONE that I have talked to is willing to do anything.
I know this is very vague, but I am trying to hire someone which will start to take this business into the fastlane. The problem is that none of my friends, colleagues, acquaintances, etc. do not have the mentality for this. They all think they are the most busy person in the world and get upset when I tell them to just turn off the TV!!
Anyways, the point I am trying to make is that I am having more success speaking with lenders, sellers, etc. than finding someone to help me with my business!! Finding a great partner is just as hard as finding a great tenant, I am sure; however, is there anything that the great sages of this forum can contribute to alleviate my frustration?

Best,
Josh

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nathan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 18, 2008
Denver, CO
I know what you mean. "Young People" today are more concerned about the getting a good, secure job, and don't so much have the entrepreneur mentality. They think we're crazy, stupid, lazy, risky and they just want to collect their paycheck.

I wouldn't try to find a partner based on age, but experience, possibly in something you don't have.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Why do you need a partner, Josh? I know it's more fun, and sometimes more motivating to have someone there with you as an accountability partner.

But seriously, the best reason to parter with someone is the synergy of your resources. They should be bringing something to the table that you don't/can't, in the form of capital, experience, contacts, etc. Sounds to me like you're looking for someone your age to be sort of a "workout buddy". My father once told me, "If it's a good enough opportunity to split with a partner, then it's twice as good a deal for one!"

Just get out there and start doing and you will attract the type of person who has the same energy. Share your vision with the people who ARE seeing it, like the lenders, sellers, etc. Chances are, they know someone who is looking for just exactly this type of opportunity.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Thanks, Jill. That is great advice.

I guess I am not really talking about a "partner," so to speak. Mainly someone to work for/with me. To take care of the menial marketing/bookkeeping/etc. so that I can focus my efforts on finding/closing deals.

Either way, I realize that you are right, I am going to HAVE to keep going by myself and if it is meant to be, someone will come along for the ride.

Thanks again,
Josh

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
If your friends are keeping you down then you need more, new friends.

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
I definitely agree with Jill here. To add, I think partnering with friends is one thing and can be beneficial if they are mentally on the same page and have something positive to offer...having a friend work FOR you, on the other hand, may be a quick way to end the friendship, especially if they are in an "employee" state of mind. You are now the boss they complain about.

I'd treat the situation like looking for a "significant other"... let relationships build on common ground first by getting to know others with similar interests, goals, and mindsets (like being on this forum). Then, you'll be in a position to grab a willing, cooperative partner from the group with little effort. Perhaps someone will ask you to partner up instead. Either way, instead of trying to convince people to change their perceptions right away, find people who are already on their way to goals similar to yours...put your energy into the execution.

- John

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Why do you need a partner, Josh? I know it's more fun, and sometimes more motivating to have someone there with you as an accountability partner.

But seriously, the best reason to parter with someone is the synergy of your resources. They should be bringing something to the table that you don't/can't, in the form of capital, experience, contacts, etc. Sounds to me like you're looking for someone your age to be sort of a "workout buddy". My father once told me, "If it's a good enough opportunity to split with a partner, then it's twice as good a deal for one!"

Just get out there and start doing and you will attract the type of person who has the same energy. Share your vision with the people who ARE seeing it, like the lenders, sellers, etc. Chances are, they know someone who is looking for just exactly this type of opportunity.

This is the truth Rep +

I have given away 10's of $1,000 of profit trying to groom various partners.

Answer the question, why do I want a partner, what void am I trying to fill. Then look for someone with those traits.

Personally, I would hire someone first, if they work out, then maybe consider partnering.

People starting out usually try to partner because they want to save cash and get 'free' labor. In the long run, it is much cheaper to hire someone to do the work, and groom them to take on more responsibility.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
People starting out usually try to partner because they want to save cash and get 'free' labor. In the long run, it is much cheaper to hire someone to do the work, and groom them to take on more responsibility.

This is EXACTLY the reason. It is definitely because I want someone who will work on a "pay for performance" type of gig. I don't have the capital to actually hire someone YET. However, I plan on offering a percentage/set figure for each deal taken down. That way, the more they market, the more deals come in, the more deals close, the more they get paid.

Thinking about it...I would be able to hire someone if I funneled the cash flow from my first deals into them...

I am having a semi hard time right now with friends. Mainly because all of my old friends are drifting away, and I am gaining new friends with the same mindset, drive, motivation as me. It is hard...but necessary.

Thanks and keep it coming!
Best,
Josh

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
This is EXACTLY the reason. It is definitely because I want someone who will work on a "pay for performance" type of gig. I don't have the capital to actually hire someone YET. However, I plan on offering a percentage/set figure for each deal taken down. That way, the more they market, the more deals come in, the more deals close, the more they get paid.

Thinking about it...I would be able to hire someone if I funneled the cash flow from my first deals into them...

I am having a semi hard time right now with friends. Mainly because all of my old friends are drifting away, and I am gaining new friends with the same mindset, drive, motivation as me. It is hard...but necessary.

Thanks and keep it coming!
Best,
Josh

After doing this wrong three different times, here is my advice:

Ask yourself-

Do you believe in your concept/ business/ this deal?
Is there profit in it?
Why can't I sell the belief to someone else?
Do I have a track record?

If I believe in the concept, and there is profit, what am I willing to put on the line to make it happen? If the most I am willing to risk is a future share of the profit, do I really believe in it?

If I cannot find a partner, but believe in this enough to put some skin in the game, where can I find the skin? Cash advance on CC, borrow against a paid off car, get an equity partner who is willing to take a share for putting in the skin, etc. etc.

I think you really need to decide how much you want this. Your friends or your future? Which will it be? Cut them off quick and stop wasting time with them.

However, take a long look at yourself. Is there a problem with the presentation?

GLC65

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jun 7, 2008
Illinois
Hi all,

Just want to get some input from some wise eyes. As the title suggest, my frustration stems from "young people." What exactly is a "young" person? I am referring to more than age. I am referring, mainly, to the lack of motivation, determination, drive, goals, etc...
I am really trying to ramp up my RE investment business and I am REALLY doing all that I possibly can do, in terms of one person. I am making an attractive offer to people of my age to partner up with me, help out, get paid well, but NO ONE that I have talked to is willing to do anything.
I know this is very vague, but I am trying to hire someone which will start to take this business into the fastlane. The problem is that none of my friends, colleagues, acquaintances, etc. do not have the mentality for this. They all think they are the most busy person in the world and get upset when I tell them to just turn off the TV!!
Anyways, the point I am trying to make is that I am having more success speaking with lenders, sellers, etc. than finding someone to help me with my business!! Finding a great partner is just as hard as finding a great tenant, I am sure; however, is there anything that the great sages of this forum can contribute to alleviate my frustration?

Best,
Josh​

It is like with everything else. It is a numbers game. You need to increase the pool of candidates for you to get that special one. Keep on chugging away.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think you're witnessing more of a cultural problem with a movement toward codependency vs independence.

Most young people in America are ignorant to who even runs the country; ask them to name the top 3 people in line of presidential succession and they stare at your in emptiness, but ask them the top 3 finalists on American Idol and they can recite the names without pause or hesitation.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
CVentures1B12-

One of the best lessons in business that I've EVER learned is this:

Learn how to do the stuff you aren't interested in.

Like (for you):

-Bookkeeping
-Marketing
-Sh*t work (organizational stuff, documentation, paperwork, etc)
-Anything and EVERYTHING that you would prefer someone else do.

Once you've learned those things (not as hard as you think), you will be MUCH more prepared to find/recognize the right person for those things.

Worst things I've ever done was to hire people to do something I didn't understand-- and hired the wrong people.

I'm not saying become a jack of all trades, and do it all yourself.

Well, OK, I am-- but just long enough to learn how to do these things (typ 3 months to a year).

After this, you'll know when someone is goldbricking you-- or just not doing their job.

A Story:

Friend of mine HATES sales and working w/people. He's really a nice guy-- just afraid of confrontation and negotiation.

So he had a partner for years that handled this.

Partner fell in love, got married, and moved. Sold his half of the business to my friend, who was NOT excited (scared, actually) to pick up the pieces and do the sales and customer service.

You can see where this is going . . . ;)

My friend was SHOCKED at how easy the sales and customer service was.

Took only 3% of his time of the business.

Boy, was he p*ssed.

For years, his fear of selling and dealing w/customers had cost him HALF of his business profits.

He's doing very well these days.

His only regret?

That he didn't confront and deal with the things he was afraid of earlier in his business career.

-Russ H.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Hi all,

Best,
Josh

Best way, as I see it, is to team up with business partners instead of individual partners. That seems to work for you.

For example:

Financing: Team up with corporate finance departements (they can help you with LBO deals and other interesting financing schemes) and local banks. Maybe even local angel financier organisations.
Management: Find local or national RE management firms.

What more is there to RE? Whatever it is you need, find a business partner, not individual partners.

If I where you I would stop chasing those people who see no benefit or interest in helping you or making money with you.

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
Wait, you want someone to work for/with you (basically an employee), but you want someone who has a "fastlane" mentality...

Those two things are generally mutually exclusive, which is probably why you're having this problem.

So, which is it? Do you want an employee? Or do you want a partner?

Weeeellll if this doesn't sum up my problem...I don't know what does! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks everyone for their input. It is great to hear from people who have been there/done that.

I love the idea that Russ had...I will run the biz myself for a while and learn how to do everything...then find an EMPLOYEE to do those things. That way I will know exactly who will fit the job perfectly. As for partners, I can do just as stated earlier and pair up for money and management!

Great stuff you guys. I love how a magnifying glass is put to this question. Really makes me think out things way more than I already have, haha.

Best,
Josh

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!