The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Affiliate Marketing To Importing And Ecommerce

Marketing, social media, advertising

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
How did you advertise/test your products?
I started testing on FB BEFORE I even got samples.

Did you use a sample from a supplier before testing them on Facebook?
See above answer.

Did you use a random company name for them? I was thinking of using another random company first to test the product before using the one i'll use.
Company name doesn't matter. If you do however already have a name in mind, why not use it? I would, that's basically what I do anyhow.

MOQ (3000) was pretty large
least they can let me order is 1000.
the sample is generic looking without a logo.
Putting a logo on the product shouldn't cost you any extra I'd assume. Also I hope this product is sub $1 cost, MOQ of 1k on a SAMPLE batch seems outrageous.

I just ordered samples where their MOQ was like yours, but my product costs under 50 cents a piece. I have already proved the concept and know what I can sell it for all day long on FB though so I know I could easily order 3k of them. But I still got them do to a test batch for me as I want to make sure the product is good quality and they are legit. Did you try any other manufacturers?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
Thanks for answering!

Oh, did you bought a generic product of it and took pictures for the ads or just googled photos?

Unfortunately no.. the product retails at around $12-16 and the cost of the product on 1000pcs is around $2. I will test this product in FB to see if it gets good CPA before ordering that much of an inventory. It is very unfortunate because that supplier was very accomodating and easy to talk to. lol.

I am currently talking to another manufacturer who has an MOQ of 1000pcs. Trying to get it to about at around 300 hopefully.

Janetriever

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 10, 2016
You said you ship from your house (before using an fulfilment center). Have you taken dropshipping into consideration?

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
You said you ship from your house (before using an fulfilment center). Have you taken dropshipping into consideration?
I have. For maybe 3 seconds.

Honestly I haven't ever really tried to look for dropshippers for my product, or any for that matter, so don't know that process. My thoughts when going into this was to learn to import. I wanted to control my product (continually evolve it/make it better/control quality etc) and build a brand. Dropshipping would seriously limit those abilities/goals. Besides, I highly doubt any dropshipping companies (if they even carry my product) would give me the price to even be remotely competitive to me doing it myself.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
I think i've jumped the gun on making a shopify page set up for a product i want to test. I was looking to use the website conversion ad type for FB. Right now i'm having doubts if it is ok for the brand to keep on refunding/cancelling orders due to no inventory. Did you have any issues with this? I fear the customers might become wary of the brand..

As i reread you thread, you mentioned using PPE or clicks to website types of ads first before making shopify pages. Does that mean you initially made a FB page for each of your products and did some ads leading to the pages?

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Does that mean you initially made a FB page for each of your products and did some ads leading to the pages?
Yes - each product get's it own FB page.

Right now i'm having doubts if it is ok for the brand to keep on refunding/cancelling orders due to no inventory. Did you have any issues with this?
Run the test under a different brand name if you wish. You shouldn't be doing any super significant amount of sales at this point. Just enough to figure out your rough CPA costs and consumer interest levels. On most of my tests at the moment, most of my products (the funnel/page) with said product being tested, doesn't even have a brand mentioned at all. Think of an amazon post with pictures of the product and maybe a video, with some bullet point on the features of the product and a quick description.

I was looking to use the website conversion ad type for FB.
I know this wasn't a question but I wanted to address it anyhow. You can still use website conversion ad type. I use it all the time. The only issue you may run into (other than FB being a hot mess right now while their development team is messing with the back-end of FB's ad tools and algorithm) is that the website conversion pixel works off of - you guessed it, conversions. You can start using conversion bidding right off the bat, but will typically get poor results as the pixel has no data to work with. I try and place the pixel on my site but use clicks to website or a different objective FIRST, to let my pixel gather data. After it has some data and I know who to better target (as I'll then have the data to see what ages, genders, etc actually purchased) I'll make a new campaign with the conversions objective and target those people.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
Thanks! Rep transferred.

When testing products using ads, are the results accurate in about 2 weeks max?

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
When testing products using ads, are the results accurate in about 2 weeks max?
In my experience yes.

But you can have false negatives if you run you test ads during a period where costs on ads are abnormal or the likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RichyV

Death Is Winning. Do Something.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2014
There's so much valuable info in this thread, thanks for taking the time.

In regards to your Shopify store, do you have it set up as a "conventional" eCommerce store (about page, contact, store, product categories etc) or more of a landing page for each product?

Is your funnel as straight forward as FB ad ->product page->add to cart->checkout?

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
In regards to your Shopify store, do you have it set up as a "conventional" eCommerce store (about page, contact, store, product categories etc) or more of a landing page for each product?

yes and no - I have those pages, but I don't have a menu bar. Only way to get to them is via links.

Remember this was all about selling products, not really building a full on brand and doing thing right. This was more testing things out and scaling them. I have an entirely different set up I'm working on now to incorporate all my products into one site. But that's an entirely different method. That's long term and lots of upfront capital. This build a quick shopify store is for quick short term money.

Is your funnel as straight forward as FB ad ->product page->add to cart->checkout?
Yep. I have shown a few ppl who I know (in person) from this forum and they can all confirm it. Simple as that. Whether or not that is best, that I don't know. Every product is different. But this has been working for me thus far.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
So I posted and boosted a picture of my product including a short caption and a day and 12 hours since my boost, the post got around 750 likes, and my page gained 110 likes from it. Looks pretty good, however, the post only received 2 comment inquiries about my product out of the many likes and 1 share. Plus my product in the FB store feature only received 6 views. lol. I've set this PPE campaign for 2 weeks.

I know its a bit early to judge but how do you guys make the post more engaging in terms of comments and shares? Also is it okay to switch to another post to boost mid-campaign?

There is one potential customer who asked me how to order. I just told her that our inventory are "on their way" and we can list her up for a reservation when it arrives. haha

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
Nice @hughjasle! Sounds like some great progress; congratulations.

What are 3 of your main takeaways that you've learned from your experience in AM?

It sounds like we're on a similar path with that transition to building brands and scaling out so you can control everything. Selling things through FBA, or AM, or anything else you don't control is great but still violates CENTS. That's my mindset currently, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out!

Oh, also, will you be constructing a PBN for the other site to have authority? You said you're creating an entirely new site for all the products, so in which area will you focus your main content? (if that's in the plan)

Keep in touch

Last edited by a moderator:

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
So I posted and boosted a picture of my product including a short caption and a day and 12 hours since my boost, the post got around 750 likes, and my page gained 110 likes from it. Looks pretty good, however, the post only received 2 comment inquiries about my product out of the many likes and 1 share. Plus my product in the FB store feature only received 6 views. lol. I've set this PPE campaign for 2 weeks.

I know its a bit early to judge but how do you guys make the post more engaging in terms of comments and shares? Also is it okay to switch to another post to boost mid-campaign?

is this just a 'tester' ad where you don't actually have the product? Do you have a site built out for this product? and are there no links on the ad for the people to purchase it? if not people who want it will just pull up amazon and buy and you'll have no idea what the true interest is.

can't really answer more based on what's given. Also, how much ad spend for those results.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
Yes, it is a tester ad. No site yet. But in the comment section of the post, i drop in the link to a FB store feature i have on the page. There, they can read more details on the product and message me there for orders.

For the ad spend, i spend about $2 dollars of PPE per day. But i ramped it up to $3 now for the 3rd day.

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
Yes, it is a tester ad. No site yet. But in the comment section of the post, i drop in the link to a FB store feature i have on the page. There, they can read more details on the product and message me there for orders.

For the ad spend, i spend about $2 dollars of PPE per day. But i ramped it up to $3 now for the 3rd day.

@
$2 PPE and you got 110 likes to the page for posting a product photo?

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
What are 3 of your main takeaways that you've learned from your experience in AM?
1. There is a lot of money out there
2. Too many people cut corners for short term money and give up MASSIVE money later
3. Anyone can do anything if they just sit and freaking do it

will you be constructing a PBN for the other site to have authority?
No. But to make sure we are talking the same lingo - you mean private blog network right? PBN stands for a few things depending on what we are talking about. But I am not building a content/authority brand at all. Not for this. I do have plans for that. But those will be for niche specific high end brands. And even then, most will just be build out, yes on a blog for that site, but the majority of "content" will be on social networks etc.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
So in total you have spent $4 not including today's spend. What's the price point of the product you are selling?

also:
in the comment section of the post, i drop in the link
while this can work, you have to make sure YOUR comment stays at the top. Not the best method, but it can work. Also makes it easy for competitors to rip off your ad but simply commenting with their link and getting it to show up above yours.

With that info and going back to your original question: [HASHTAG]#103[/HASHTAG] What GEO's are you targeting? Some targets (geo,gender,age) will like more than they buy. The fact that someone reached out was a good sign depending on the price of what you are selling.

Is your ad just showcasing a product? or it is telling people to buy it?

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
1. There is a lot of money out there
2. Too many people cut corners for short term money and give up MASSIVE money later
3. Anyone can do anything if they just sit and freaking do it

No. But to make sure we are talking the same lingo - you mean private blog network right? PBN stands for a few things depending on what we are talking about. But I am not building a content/authority brand at all. Not for this. I do have plans for that. But those will be for niche specific high end brands. And even then, most will just be build out, yes on a blog for that site, but the majority of "content" will be on social networks etc.

Yes, that's correct I was referring to a blog network! And yes it's interesting how many people are willing to not own the whole thing, like the book talks about. If you are an affiliate you can make bank but if you pay the affiliate, well...

Ah okay I see, so your approach will be lots of traffic from social and not as much free organic from keywords and such

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
So in total you have spent $4 not including today's spend. What's the price point of the product you are selling?

also:

while this can work, you have to make sure YOUR comment stays at the top. Not the best method, but it can work. Also makes it easy for competitors to rip off your ad but simply commenting with their link and getting it to show up above yours.

With that info and going back to your original question: [HASHTAG]#103[/HASHTAG] What GEO's are you targeting? Some targets (geo,gender,age) will like more than they buy. The fact that someone reached out was a good sign depending on the price of what you are selling.

Is your ad just showcasing a product? or it is telling people to buy it?

My whole budget for the 2 week campaign is about $45 with a daily budget of $3 (it was $2 in the first 36 hours.) Its a low cost product of about $10

Oh. Good point. Is it better to wait for a week and see the results before i make a shopify page?

My GEOs are in the Philippines/female/18-25 bracket.

At first, my original post was a 4 photo post with the product's full detailed info. But the results of the ad came it a bit poorly(about 20-30 likes 6hrs in), but as soon as i made it what it is right now(1 product photo), the engagement came in faster. I was wondering maybe the ad looked too much like an instagram picture with a short caption thats why alot of likes are coming in.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
@
$2 PPE and you got 110 likes to the page for posting a product photo?
My current spent budget during that time was about $3-4.. i posted my whole budget for the campaign in the last post

Alex W.

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 30, 2015
Hey @hughjasle , awesome project you've started here. The way you set this up/how you speak reminds me of AM... test multiple offers (products in this case), pluck the one with the most promise, drive traffic, optimize, etc... Was pretty interesting to see someone utilize these skills in a different environment. Hoping to see you accomplish your goal of morphing this into a sellable asset (you may be closer than you think?).

Speaking of AM, are you active on any affiliate forums? I've been a member over on STM for awhile now... you over there?

Also, will I see you in Berlin at AWE in July??? :)

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Speaking of AM, are you active on any affiliate forums
I am active in running traffic. I haven't spent much time at all in any of the forums. I did have a STM a few times but never posted. I feel like spending time in AM forums is good if you are starting on your own. For me that wan't the case so I never did that. Going to the summits/conventions and making a solid network for yourself is 100x more valuable.

Also, will I see you in Berlin at AWE in July??? :)
Not for me this year. I'm pretty worn out from all the conventions for the time being. Most likely going to just lay low. Maybe go to some small meet ups with friends. But for now ASW is my next planned event.

Alex W.

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 30, 2015
I am active in running traffic. I haven't spent much time at all in any of the forums. I did have a STM a few times but never posted. I feel like spending time in AM forums is good if you are starting on your own. For me that wan't the case so I never did that. Going to the summits/conventions and making a solid network for yourself is 100x more valuable.

Not for me this year. I'm pretty worn out from all the conventions for the time being. Most likely going to just lay low. Maybe go to some small meet ups with friends. But for now ASW is my next planned event.

I may be at ASW as well. If you drink, I'd love to buy you a beer & chat.

I'm still pretty new to running traffic (started after graduation last year), but I'm sure I could provide some sort of value to the convo :)

Have a good one!

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
@hughjasle

Curious to know where you're importing these products to, did you have some warehouses on hand, or are they pretty easy to set up storage and fulfillment to?

Thanks

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Curious to know where you're importing these products to, did you have some warehouses on hand, or are they pretty easy to set up storage and fulfillment to?
small tester amounts I have sent to me so I can check them out and fulfill myself (employee really does it). Large quantity orders are sent to my fulfillment company to fulfill.

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
small tester amounts I have sent to me so I can check them out and fulfill myself (employee really does it). Large quantity orders are sent to my fulfillment company to fulfill.
Awesome! Would you mind going into more depth about some specifics of a distribution company? Since ultimately you'll be launching the brand big time and using that, it obviously took a process to just have a fulfillment center and warehouse, etc.? Like MJ talking in the book about control, it's interesting to decide how far one will go up on the latter of distribution, to owning / creating the manufacturing centers of the actual product, etc.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
When I said "my fulfillment company" I mean it as "my fulfillment company that I use"

However the plan is to bring fulfillment fully in-house as the costs will be cut down dramatically and offer much more control over quality etc. But for now that would be too much to take on. One fire at a time.

However if I read and remember correctly, I think Biophase has his own in-house distribution going.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.