The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FREE Wordpress Plugin - UTM Tracker

Marketing, social media, advertising

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Most ad campaigns miss this one important step.

It's been said 97% of all ad campaigns lose money.

I almost fell off my chair when I first read that statistic.

One of the biggest issues I've seen with Internet Marketing isn't tracking the source of conversions. You can't measure what you don't know.

When optimizing organic search traffic (SEO), it really doesn't matter that much.

Sure not all search keywords are created equal, but you don't really care that much. Yes, some search keywords are more transactional, but in the end, you aren't paying for the traffic.

You don't care that 'best mortgages' doesn't convert as well as 'best 30-year mortgage'.

You are happy you got a conversion and move on to the next visitor.

It becomes a much different issue when you start paying for visitors.

I once heard someone say, "real Internet Marketers pay for traffic".

Paying for traffic separates the amateurs from the pros.

If you are paying for search, network ad banners, or social media you want to optimize every step of your sales funnel.

Otherwise more than likely you are losing money from every. single. paid. click.

When I owned the website Investor Junkie, I understood the importance of this. When we started doing ads, I made sure we were properly tracking every visitor and recording the source of every conversion. The best way to track the source of traffic is via what's called UTM parameters.

Without getting into specifics here, just know it is a standardized way to track the source of traffic to your website.

The problem is once these parameters are passed to your website, they are lost. Poof! GONE!

They aren't passed into that order form you sent them to. Worse yet, if they then visit another page on your site, there's no reference to that info.

So I wanted to not only track this valuable information, but automatically insert this info to any form on my website.

I looked at many Wordpress plugins and tools and didn't find one that fit my needs.

Until I found this free script.

It worked great!

With my background, I was able to setup it up and was off and running.

The only problem for others, is you need to be very technical. While Wordpress is great, it insulates you on how to customize it to your exact needs.

I figured if I had this problem, others who aren't as technical as I were even more desperate.

So one of the first things I did with my new business venture was to help others out. I packaged the script into a FREE Wordpress plugin.

UTM Tracker allows you to track UTM parameters, Google's gclid, and other important conversion metrics.

This plugin can help you track:
  • Organic social media campaigns
  • Paid Google, Bing, and Facebook ad campaigns
  • Email newsletter vistors that order your product
  • Any link to your site with UTM parameters
The plugin works with pretty much any form on your site automatically!

I found this tool invaluable and I know you will too.

All you need to do is install the plugin and allow your mail form, order form, etc. to accept the fields.

If you want to install UTM Tracker, and examples on how it works, you can read the online documentation.

Let me know what are your thoughts or future features you may want.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kristie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Dec 8, 2018
Alabama
Most ad campaigns miss this one important step.

Ugh...most of this is over my head, but I am wondering if you think something like this might help with the free blog post sign-up form on my website. It is a pop-up window that populates for some (not all) visitors. They get the free monthly articles if they complete the short form. I haven't seen that the folks who set up my website track any of this (and I don't receive notifications when or if it happens). I have been curious if my website even gets any hits and if so, does anyone sign up for the articles.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I just feel like I’m being sold to and I HATE THAT.

You know when someone’s talking AT YOU and not TO YOU? Yeah, this is what this post feels like.

Okay, so you’re totally backlinking to your blog which from the looks of it, I WOULD NEVER download anything from.

Plus, your recent posts show you’re an affiliate marketer.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I just feel like I’m being sold to and I HATE THAT.

You know when someone’s talking AT YOU and not TO YOU? Yeah, this is what this post feels like.

Okay, so you’re totally backlinking to your blog which from the looks of it, I WOULD NEVER download anything from.

Plus, your recent posts show you’re an affiliate marketer.

Hmm, it's a plugin I submitted to the Wordpress plugin repository. Nothing to download from my site.

UTM Tracker

If you don't want it, don't download it. I'm not "selling" anything other than the plugin itself which is free. There's no paid version.

So I've been an affiliate marketer? What does that have anything to do with offering a free plugin?

Last edited:

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Ugh...most of this is over my head, but I am wondering if you think something like this might help with the free blog post sign-up form on my website. It is a pop-up window that populates for some (not all) visitors. They get the free monthly articles if they complete the short form. I haven't seen that the folks who set up my website track any of this (and I don't receive notifications when or if it happens). I have been curious if my website even gets any hits and if so, does anyone sign up for the articles.

Do you do paid ads? Do you do social media? If so then it would help, but only if you setup UTM codes on links to your site.

Kristie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Dec 8, 2018
Alabama
Do you do paid ads? Do you do social media? If so then it would help, but only if you setup UTM codes on links to your site.

I do. This is something I will have to learn to use because I have never used anything like this before. Thank you!

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
I don`t use WP, but use UTM for all of my clients and many of them have gotten som real breakthroughs in terms of measure where the sales come from, not only clicks and leads.

My question is more, why don`t you take your own medicine and use UTM parameters for your blog URL in this post ? :D

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I don`t use WP, but use UTM for all of my clients and many of them have gotten som real breakthroughs in terms of measure where the sales come from, not only clicks and leads.

My question is more, why don`t you take your own medicine and use UTM parameters for your blog URL in this post ? :D

Because I was lazy :)

But also have at least the referral info. I'm not paying for this traffic and posted it as I thought others on this forum would want to use.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

This statistic is probably true within his bubble. But lets not forget he is analysing accounts that have come to him because they are not working so it stands to reason that most are losing money.

It's a little like a mechanic saying 97% of the cars he see's have faults with them. Well hell yes! You don't go to a mechanic with a faultless car do you? I just think that 97% needs a little more context.

Thanks for the script @lludwig :thumbsup:

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
This statistic is probably true within his bubble. But lets not forget he is analysing accounts that have come to him because they are not working so it stands to reason that most are losing money.

It's a little like a mechanic saying 97% of the cars he see's have faults with them. Well hell yes! You don't go to a mechanic with a faultless car do you? I just think that 97% needs a little more context.

Thanks for the script @lludwig :thumbsup:

I've seen this stat somewhere else and was documented through a survey, but couldn't find it.

I believe that one was around 95% and from my own experience with working with others I also tend to believe this stat.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I've seen this stat somewhere else and was documented through a survey, but couldn't find it.

I believe that one was around 95% and from my own experience with working with others I also tend to believe this stat.

Still not convinced. It's a very sweeping statement that calls for greater scrutiny. I would like to see the data that supported this, and more importantly the criteria they used to decide which sites to include/exclude.

More out of curiosity than anything else.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.