The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Free Shipping: When are your thoughts?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Oct 6, 2016
NC
What are your thoughts on offering Free Shipping?

Up until yesterday, I was a big time opponent of Free Shipping
In my mind, if the product is quality, the customer will have no problem paying the extra money to have it shipped to them. This was reinforced by 2 relatively successful years in business, where I charge for shipping on a product that has high margins.

But I was recently approved for Amazon, and I forgot to add shipping settings to my product(s). In 1 full month, my sales on Amazon have mirrored an average month on my product's website. Totally unexpected. People are clearly making purchases because they don't have to pay shipping and I didn't realize this until yesterday.

I feel completely different now. I almost feel as if I was being close minded. It definitely comes with its advantages.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
What are your thoughts on offering Free Shipping?

Up until yesterday, I was a big time opponent of Free Shipping
In my mind, if the product is quality, the customer will have no problem paying the extra money to have it shipped to them. This was reinforced by 2 relatively successful years in business, where I charge for shipping on a product that has high margins.

But I was recently approved for Amazon, and I forgot to add shipping settings to my product(s). In 1 full month, my sales on Amazon have mirrored an average month on my product's website. Totally unexpected. People are clearly making purchases because they don't have to pay shipping and I didn't realize this until yesterday.

I feel completely different now. I almost feel as if I was being close minded. It definitely comes with its advantages.
I have no advice to offer other than from a consumer perspective - free shipping is definitely appealing to me. This thread caught my eye because I’m trying to figure out if I should include the shipping container and materials in my shipping cost, or just count that as part of my COGS and absorb in the product margin.

At the profit/loss level, are you better off or worse off for it?

ShamanKing

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 30, 2018
California
I always do free shipping unless item is super duper heavy. I stick to light items for the most part.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I've been debating this for a long time. But if $35 + Free Shipping for all orders within the USA will attract more people than $30 + $5 shipping, then I'm all for the former.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2014
I’ve done a decent bit of testing and for cheaper items it seems to work better to have a small shipping fee than to charge the higher price. So $29.99 with 3.99 shipping sounds so much better than $33.99.

On the other hand for larger items that people are concerned about getting hit with a huge shipping charge I would 200% build the price of shipping into the costs so the customer knows exactly what their costs are and don’t have that nagging worry in their mind about how expensive shipping is on this giant...

Mr. Roboto

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Mar 13, 2019
...or you can be sly and have people pay for free shipping. Amazon does it already with Amazon Prime.

OP
OP
MoreVolume

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 6, 2016
NC
At the profit/loss level, are you better off or worse off for it?
Compared to what I make from my site, I only lose $2.70-$3.00 per unit, which it not a big deal. The fact that my sale volume is high more than makes up for the small loss

Strm

Bunny parent.
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
If you look this from psychological perspective, it is definitely appealing for most of the customers. It is just how the brain works.

Bought a pair of sunglasses yesterday and got a free shipping. I am fully aware that I am probably still paying for the shipping though. But I hear people even bragging sometimes when they buy something and get free shipping :) So definitely something for you to consider!

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Y
Compared to what I make from my site, I only lose $2.70-$3.00 per unit, which it not a big deal. The fact that my sale volume is high more than makes up for the small loss
Yeah and look at what Amazon's Prime shipping model has done for them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Hi, just wanted to make sure I get it - with Fox Sales Legends there is coaching, weekly calls...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Amazing book! Actually I bought it, before I joined the forum and it motivated me to join...
MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
@LynX You know, this is a "Marketplace" Thread. Completely appropriate to offer goods and...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock