The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Four Hour Body

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I just picked up the Four Hour Body by Tim Ferriss. Been reading a few chapters here and there and I must say that it is interesting. Just wondering if anyone else has read the book.

The book is very random in its subject matter, but I'm finding it interesting because I think there's a chapter for everyone. There's a chapter that tells you how to increase your bat speed and ball distance by 35%. I need to test this out for next season. :)

Other chapters talk about how to reduce your 40 yard dash time. how to lose 2% body fat in 2 weeks, etc...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Anything in it about thinking faster?

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
The marketing for the book is beautiful. Though the info
About body building was hit miss, and the 15 min. Female orgasm was quite misleading.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
There's a chapter that tells you how to increase your bat speed and ball distance by 35%

It's called shortening your stroke ;)

But yea, I wonder if there's something about increasing pitch speed, I know I added about 10mph just by overemphasizing my leg drive much like Tim Lincecum, only on a much smaller scale since I'm 6'4" 230 and throw about 80mph max and he's 5'11" 170 and throws mid 90's.

Is there anything about his "Lose 20lbs in 30 days" Diet, if so, then I've documented on these forums and my site about my real-life experience and can vouch for the fact that it works!

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Don't read the damn book, study how he launches his shit.

Apart from the standard marketing stuff like blog write ups, he came up with this:

The Land Rush: 48 Hours to Claim $4,000,000 in Prizes

You could essentially buy lots of books (up to 1000) and get bonuses.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Speed + for giving value there ;)

Tim Ferriss didn't become Wired Magazines "Self Promoter of the Year" a few years back for nothing. Everything he posts about is to promote a product/service that he has a vested interest in, IMO, very fastlane!!!

Even more so are his techniques to sell more books, he did similar tactics with both editions of 4HWW, where he promoted action through give-aways, the irony being that the give-aways probably costed a lot less than traditional marketing and were 100x more effective, i.e. 4HWW 2nd Edition had the opportunity to win a free trip anywhere in the world and a one-on-one consultation with Tim, both of which I'm sure cost him next to nothing, but helped to sell 1000 books to one person who placed the retail value on those prizes.

ShuangXiu

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 23, 2010
I wouldn't have said "misleading" ... can you say more?

... and the 15 min. Female orgasm was quite misleading.
What did you find to be misleading about it - I wasn't that impressed with it either?

There is a lot of confusion on the web about the “15 minute” part – the book describes 15 minutes to get to orgasm, and many reader are confused or disappointed by this. I saw a video interview where Tim says something like "the orgasm lasted for 15 minutes", which I don't think is what is in the book. This is puzzling to me as he sources he mentions (Steve & Vera Bodansky, Lafayette Morehouse, One Taste) specifically discuss extended duration orgasms (orgasms lasting 15 minutes or an hour or three hours or more). Around the SF bay area, where Tim lives, there are actual demonstrations of varying length and intensity of female orgasm.

Seems likely he is just getting started in this area - the way he describes it makes it seem like its a procedure you "do to a woman." Hard to know what he was taught vs. what he retained. What I’ve seen from the Lafayette Morehouse, folks who, as Tim says, invented this stuff - is that “doing” is a ride you both take together, she the wave, you the surfer, two bodies, one orgasm. And it doesn’t matter which of you is doing the doing, it works either way.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
the 15 min. Female orgasm was quite misleading.

I don't know about you guys but that has never been an issue for me :smxB:

All satisfied customers!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I don't know about you guys but that has never been an issue for me :smxB:

All satisfied customers!

Ah, but how do you know they're all satisfied?

I know you're into metrics . . .

Do you use Customer Feedback forms?

Please rate your satisfaction with the following:

•How did I do? (please rate my performance today)

a) Are we there yet?
b) Hey, wake me up when it's over, K?
c) Gee, I could go for some nachos right now
d) What was your name again?

•How could I improve on our services to you?

a) Name tags
b) Fix those cracks in the ceiling
c) Offer a rewards program for frequent fliers
d) Free air freshener when you get a hot wax

•Will you come again soon?

(OK, I'll stop) :rofl:

-Russ H.

PS Since I always remove my watch, I've never timed these things.

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
Lol @ Russ

I guess I already knew how to get it done in 15 mins. I thought I was going to learn some super secret move.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
While I know we ALL want to perfect the art of the female orgasm, for the purposes of these forums I'd prefer focusing on the marketing of this book.

With that in mind is ShangXiu one of TF's VAs? If so, how
effective is this strategy in getting backlinks if you're doing it through posting value add posts with links embedded?

Additionally, does anyone have experience with using a VA for backlinks and site promotion?

While I plan on doing this work on my own to start, I want to be able to eventually outsource this task so I can focus more time and effort on higher impact tasks like customer service and franchising.

Now back to the 15 minute female orgasm- something that should NEVER be outsourced(unless it's your "thing" to just watch :p)

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
.... must.... not.... comment.....

... so.... many.... jokes.....

LOLOLOL

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
.... must.... not.... comment.....

... so.... many.... jokes.....

LOLOLOL

Take your pick, my money's on these two...
While I know we ALL want to perfect the art of the female orgasm
Now back to the 15 minute female orgasm- something that should NEVER be outsourced(unless it's your "thing" to just watch :p)

And if that's not enough, the first song that popped up on my iPhone playlist while I typed this was "Good Vibrations" by Marky Mark, the real life Vinny Chase from Entourage who of course knows a thing or two on the subject :p

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
And by the way there is a survey. And it's 98% "extremely satisfied" and the other 2% is "who the hell are you?"

:rofl:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Are these skills part of the martial arts you teach your 18+ students?

If so, that'd really take your dojo to the Fastlane ;)

Martial Arts Eroticism.

I like it.

What would you call a biz like this?

(c'mon Red . . . you know you want to suggest a name or two . . )

-Russ H.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Tougue Fu Academy?

Dojo Mojo?

Side Licks?

Below the belt?

Hi-Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

(that last one might be too long for a sign, or business cards)

OK, I'm going back to my room.

-Russ H.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Love 'em!

I'll tell the BEST joke about this at B&P, you will be crying your eyes out after reading this thread!

So be there!!

Korbian

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 17, 2011
Southern California
I need to print that survey out maybe make it an online version so I can run analytics on it haha, I read some of the book followed the slow carb diet worked out pretty good not as crazy as he says in the book but it was decent. I also have been following the marketing of this book from when he first hinted at it on the random show to the full announcement, Tim is very good at using blogs and the social media to blast out work of his projects and sells them incredibly well he should write a book on shameless self promotion.

For the record it would be: tounge-jitsu: the lost art, we use the buddy system. No more flying solo. You need somebody watching your back at all times.

;)

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I love the 4 Hour Body, as well as Tim's blog. I personally lost about 35lbs on the "slow carb diet" described in the book. The weight loss was nice, but the best benefit was the increased energy and mental focus.

As MJ is fond of discussing with the conveyer belt, you don't realize what a big effect those crappy foods have on you until you stop eating them.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
forgot how much fun this thread was . . .

tho looking at my "dojo mojo" idea, you could do a way cool logo that had

do
mo

to the left and

JO

to the right.

Nice integration of the two words, and the left part spells "domo" (the japanese greeting, and part of "domo arigato")

:thumbsup:

-Russ H.

PS Bobbo still has the best name, tho, w/"tongue fu" . . .

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Y'all are just funny! I miss you when I'm away!!

To the OP (Bio, I think?). Yes, I bought the 4HB thru one of his marketing promos because I knew (based on my affinity for 4HWW) that I would be giving the book to lots of friends. I've read it 3ish times now. Some chapters 5, others once.

I agree with Bio that there's something for everyone. My primary motivation/focus was the section on slow carb diet, since extra fluffage seems to be my Achilles heal. (Okay, let's be honest, it's the strawberry martinis and pasta carbonara that are my downfall. The fluff is the unfortunate byproduct!!). So, I'm pleased to report that using the slow-carb diet found in the 4HB, I'm down 50# so far.

I could comment on the other parts of the book that I found worth far more than the book's purchase price (such as what spice smooths out insulin spikes, what supplement doubles the half life of caffeine, etc) but the weightloss alone has been worth WAY more than the purchase price.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I just read this one today.... and I am shocked with the results from the diet.

Wow.

I think I will see if Chipotle has a customer appreciation card or something...

Chipotle, here I come.

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
I personally know several of his sources in the book, and have used several of these techniques through the years. He essentially took various oddball techniques for different things, and put them in the book. I have done several, like adding lean muscle mass, dropping weight with a diet very similar to Slow Carb, etc, years before this book came out. Tim is a master info marketer, but several of the things in the book are for real and are valid. Read it and try it out.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I have done several, like adding lean muscle mass, dropping weight with a diet very similar to Slow Carb, etc

Cool, would love to hear about both.

I am still in shock by the comments here from the people that lost that much weight.

Did you guys keep it off or it came back soon after? (i.e. how 'permanent' was it?)

puckman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Apr 12, 2011
NYC
Cool, would love to hear about both.

I am still in shock by the comments here from the people that lost that much weight.

Did you guys keep it off or it came back soon after? (i.e. how 'permanent' was it?)

At 33 I did 'Starting Strength", the weight lifting program he describes in the book. It requires, 3 days of lifting per week, each session between 1-2 hours long. It only requires a few exercises; squat, deadlift, overhead press, power cleans and bench press. It is one of the leading ways to growth strength. this is not body building. this is strength and conditioning for football and power lifting. If I had a son that plays football, he will do this program in his teens.

I did the program for 8 weeks and gained 15lbs of lean muscle mass, and drove up my deadlift max by 60lbs, and my squat by 50lbs. Before and after the program I had my lean body mass professionally tested.

The program required to eat 4000-5000 calories per day. Its famous for GOMAD, Gallon of Milk a Day. I did that with glee, and threw in some filet o fishes. I went from about 16% BF to 25% BF, and have been stuck around 20% BF ever since.

The weight loss stuff is actually pretty boring, because it predictably works. Its essentially portion control and food quality. And some interesting hacks like cold baths, which I love BTW.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.