The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Focusing on the money vs. the idea

Tony71

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Mar 21, 2011
Irvine, CA

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Ok so Job security is BS, but what about Health Insurance you get from the job?

I was planning to move to Newport Beach last autumn for a startup which we are doing, but somethings happened which delay the move. One was I was diagnosed with Kidney Disease, now if I didn't have my job and had moved before then I would have paid thousands of $$ out of pocket.. I'm planning to move in the next 2 months, the buisness is about to launch. I'm leaving a well paid job in DC to go to OC with a few thousands in cash. I figured I need to get myself in an environment which I'm not comfortable in order to make me think sharp and start working on the project to get it off.

The only thing in back of my mind is if I ever need to see a doctor.

This is a big problem with the U.S. entrepreneurial landscape. They have a term for this...it is called "Job Lock." People who are looking to start a business, but simply aren't very healthy. People who are married who's spouse has adequate coverage will be better off or moonlighting, if single, in this respect.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
If a person can't convince another on entrepreneurship (or anything else for that matter), one reason may be that they lack the sales ability to sell that particular idea. Lack of understanding is not always on the one being sold.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
OP is correct in saying that picking something you'd really like to see realised in real life is much more fun then going for the money alone. It's called your WHY and for some of us it's the only thing that'll motivate us.

One thing that "gave" OP "away" is:

"I will not have progressed my career..."

Life-long employees talk like that. There's no such thing as "career". Many people have died unfulfilled and regretful because they were building and maintaining their "career" their entire life instead of doing what they wanted.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What if I don't get a successful business, and stand there 7 years later with no income and no career?

What if the company you work for folds or moves overseas in 7 years and you can't find another job? or you find another job and in 10 years that company folds? Depending on a job for security in the world we live in now is like playing Russian Roulette.

You are holding on to a security blanket that doesn't actually exist. The only security that exists is the security you create for yourself. That will never be found by working for someone else.

Sue

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Job and Security don't belong in the same sentence. If you get to the point where you're an corporate executive then you're guaranteed a fat severance if you're canned otherwise you're on your own. I work in for a company that has been taken over 4 times in 4 different mergers over the past 5 years and I've seen high level VPs who thought they ran shit getting run out of town within days of the merger so there you have it. The only security is owning your own profitable business.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Job and Security don't belong in the same sentence. If you get to the point where you're an corporate executive then you're guaranteed a fat severance if you're canned otherwise you're on your own. I work in for a company that has been taken over 4 times in 4 different mergers over the past 5 years and I've seen high level VPs who thought they ran shit getting run out of town within days of the merger so there you have it. The only security is owning your own profitable business.

Exactly! And, when you own your own business you can see when things start to go wrong before anyone else which enables you to plan ahead. If you're an employee and the company that you work for is having financial issues, you won't know about it until they start firing people, which is a much more insecure situation.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If I were just chasing money like a lot of my peers think im doing I would have accepted a 6 figure job offer in leiu of the 30k im making now. But there is no way in hell i would sell out to someone elses fastlane.

The difference is that 30k is residuals and id have to work 9-5 for the job. I left my time open to chase more clients and eventually pass up those figures with passive income.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.