The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

OFF-TOPIC Flooding in the Northeast

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I thought you guys might like a look at some of the flooding near our house in upstate NY.

I'll add them as they upload.

Basically, the problem, aside from record rains, is that the DEC has prevented the dredging of these small streams in order to save the trout that they have to stock every year.

The streams washed some trees into a low bridge, blocking the flow of water under it. Instead, it has headed through several businesses, buried a trailer park, and (we think) flooded my son's house and (we know) his in-laws house, along with a mess of others.

This is our third 100-year flood in the past 5 years. Sort'a sucks.

At any rate...

This is about a block from my house. (Pardon the shaking. I was walking, skipping around puddles, and dodging traffic.)

[video]http://youtu.be/CtVB68KO58w[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/XYa3UqdnD0I[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/Lg74l_q9AnQ[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/vPyGhW9TtWc[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/j6DbTfKK140[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/e4jML99s0JM[/video]

Last edited:

BeachBoy

New Contributor
Jul 12, 2011
I am in upstate (real north) Vermont every weekend (cottage) and this year has been a rough one. we're lucky the land is high from the water (we're waterfront)

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
I am in upstate (real north) Vermont every weekend

I have friends up in Shelburne. When we were up there in May, the waterfront was flooded. After last week's storm, I figured their place would be a mess. I know they didn't flood, but they said you can't get anywhere.

We also have a couple condos at the Grand Killington Resort, and no one can get there to use it.

Kurt:

I hope you're doing better than us. Flood stage in one town near us is 15'. The river is expected to crest at 38' there. It is expected to rain pretty much all night, and we're at a worse stage at 11pm than we were in the 2006 storm.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Oh... and it's raining water though the roof, ceiling, lights and ceiling fans in my apartment building.

The good news is that I've made $.87 in AdSense earnings today!

Actually, the good news is that I work for a heavy construction company. There will be a lot of roads and bridges to replace by the time this storm is done.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Kurt:

I hope you're doing better than us. Flood stage in one town near us is 15'. The river is expected to crest at 38' there. It is expected to rain pretty much all night, and we're at a worse stage at 11pm than we were in the 2006 storm.

flood stage on the biggest river is 17 feet. expecting 28.5 feet right now. record is 30.5 set by hurricane agnus.

Second biggest is flood stage at 8.6 feet, currently at 22.24 feet and expected to go to 24.5 feet. previous record was just over 16 feet. this is the once causing the problems for my drive to and from work. this morning should be interesting

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
PA

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Here's a neat photo. This was in a flash flood area. The street pavement lifted, and a section of wood ended up under it before it settled back on it. Pretty weird!View attachment 2565

My son's In-Law's house. This is a split-level, and is flooded in three of the four levels.
View attachment 2566

This is the blocked bridge underpass that started the mess.
View attachment 2567

This is my son's house. You can see his car in the driveway. This was built to be safe after the last flood in 2006. The water looks to have filled the 8-foot basement plus a couple of feet in the main floor.

There is a set of windows that you can't see that are underwater. When he was in the basement when the flooding started, the water was halfway up the windows with no leaks.
View attachment 2568

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Wow Bob. Please tell Brenton I wish him the best of luck with this mess.... hoping the waters recede quickly.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
For any web designers struggling to sell it is hardly ever about competition with other web...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This month's promo code is MINDCONTROL Those who are subscribed to my new Youtube channel will...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom