The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fixing my financial illiteracy

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Gregory Fleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 8, 2012
San Francisco USA
I'm getting near the end of the book, and the author quite correctly calls me out for my financial illiteracy!

I'm glad to see the financial forum here is so active. I'd really like advice on the best books for this illiterate mind to read and get up to speed on what I need to know. Hopefully there are some good beginner books and/or videos out there you fast-laners will recommend.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lookingahead

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 21, 2010
I don't know of any books or videos, but what I did is when I came across something I didn't know (CD'S, bonds, 401k's etc.) I went to google and researched them.

I'm interested as well as what everybody else has to say.

Brent Davis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 8, 2012
Youtube is a great resource to use to further your knowledge of financials. In addition, google Khan Academy, they have some really useful information.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I'm getting near the end of the book, and the author quite correctly calls me out for my financial illiteracy!

I'm glad to see the financial forum here is so active. I'd really like advice on the best books for this illiterate mind to read and get up to speed on what I need to know. Hopefully there are some good beginner books and/or videos out there you fast-laners will recommend.

A great many of us on the forum --like myself-- were enlightened by Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. In fact, many of the books in the series are a superior resource for developing financial intelligence.

Personally, I would start with Rich Dad books before I start anywhere.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
What Rich People Know & Desperately Want To Keep Secret.

The E-Myth Revisited.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think he is suggesting finance books, not entrepreneur books ... stuff like bonds, stocks, mortgages, interest rates, etc.

I've been hearing a lot of requests for this type of stuff ... anyone see a NEED for a simple, financial literacy book for novices?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
I think he is suggesting finance books, not entrepreneur books ... stuff like bonds, stocks, mortgages, interest rates, etc.

Oh, okay, good catch. Well in that case, I'd recommend Dave Ramsey's book, Total Money Makeover. In my opinion, Ramsey sets a pretty solid, basic financial foundation, although I don't agree with everything he teaches.

li0n

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 5, 2012
First book that came to my mind "Rich Dad Poor Dad" I also would look into classics like "Think And Grow Rich" if you have already read those, I would seek out financial guru's like Warren Buffet, Dave Ramsey, Suze O, etc etc. Soak up as much as you can! I also saw that someone recommended YouTube. Honest, there is a wealth of information on the internet. I have watched several interviews with Warren Buffet and that's been great. Youtube offers anything from 30 sec clips to 30 minute seminars. Awesome!

-Li0n

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The best way you can become financially literate is to study accounting and finance. I would recommend getting VERY familiar with the basic financial statements: income statement, cash flows, balance sheet. Corporate finance and personal finance are almost exactly alike (avoid leverage(debt) control expenses, dont be a cash burner etc). if you master personal finance you can easily weed out bad companies when you do investment analysis. Another VERY important thing you need to know is time value of money(present value, future value). Get yourself a financial calculator. I use the HP 12c. You'll be shocked how many people do not know how much total interest they will pay on a loan they take out :nonod:. This calculator is also helpful for bond valuations. If you master this calculator you will be a financial wizard:great: Know HOW/WHY the stock market goes up and down(supply and demand). get to know over the counter stocks traded on the pink sheets(more risky). know different investment theories/strategies. know technical analysis etc. the best investment advice ive ever heard is this: "be greedy when others are fearful and fearful when others are greedy"- warren buffett, "the stock market is a voting machine short term and a weighing machine long term"- ben graham, "the dumbest reason to buy a stock is because it is going up"- warren buffett. remember the stock market is pretty much efficient, all stocks are bid up to a certain valuation based on public available information such as quarterly reports, analyst reports etc. stocks are cheap for a reason, they go down for a reason. at my university there are book shelves and book shelves, hundreds of books on finance, investment and accounting. and guess what? ANYBODY can go in there and grab a book and read it even if you are not a student!!!! it's F%$%$N FREE!!!, everytime i go there its a ghost town, ive never seen ONE person go through the book shelves but you can be sure that the computer tables are full with people surfing facebook and youtube :nonod: IMAGINE if you read every single one of those books, youll be a genius, this is what warren buffett did with his time at columbia university, he read all finance and investment books , stock market history at the library etc theres the process behind his billion dollar empire/fortune:smxF:. go google all of this stuff i learned all of this at the library and online, thats how i was able to make A KILLING last year in the stock market by taking advantage of the whole greek default scare. i have a 150% unrealized gain. you can do it!

@MJ DeMarco: that would be an amazing book if it were ever written as the market is in desperate need of a "full blown" ultimate financial literacy book, WAY too many people lack this type of knowledge and i know a lot of people who have said "i have had enough, i need to be my own financial advisor" or "i need to know how money works" type of talk. a lot of people dont know where to start when it comes to this, and they sometimes feel overwhelmed. im always impressed by your entrepreneur lenses of finding needs/ identifying opportunities MJ :tiphat: i'm only 20 so i'm desperately working to get them better focused myself hahaha

oh an don't forget MArginal analysis (cost/benefit) when it comes to financial decisions.

PokerRich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 15, 2008
Minnesota
I think "Dividends Still Don't Lie" is a great intro book on stocks. "Bonds: The Unbeaten Path to Secure Investment Growth" is a great primer on bond investing. I also felt "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" was my awakening to financial education.

Gregory Fleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 8, 2012
San Francisco USA
A great many of us on the forum --like myself-- were enlightened by Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. In fact, many of the books in the series are a superior resource for developing financial intelligence.

Thank you for replying. Doesn't Mr. DeMarco blast these books in "Fastlane Millionaire"?

Oh, I'd recommend Dave Ramsey's book, Total Money Makeover. In my opinion, Ramsey sets a pretty solid, basic financial foundation, although I don't agree with everything he teaches.

Sorry, not trying to pick on you. I have seen this guy's name much maligned in my research of late. People often complain his math and other claims don't jibe with reality. I don't say this to shut you down, more like I'd like to hear your reaction and others.

Last edited:

Gregory Fleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 8, 2012
San Francisco USA

I've been hearing a lot of requests for this type of stuff ... anyone see a NEED for a simple, financial literacy book for novices?

I'm honored by your response Mr DeMarco and I'm going to have to add this notion to a list I'm going to run through the WADM this weekend! :)

Gregory Fleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 8, 2012
San Francisco USA
First book that came to my mind "Rich Dad Poor Dad" I also would look into classics like "Think And Grow Rich" if you have already read those, I would seek out financial guru's like Warren Buffet, Dave Ramsey, Suze O, etc etc. Soak up as much as you can! I also saw that someone recommended YouTube. Honest, there is a wealth of information on the internet. I have watched several interviews with Warren Buffet and that's been great. Youtube offers anything from 30 sec clips to 30 minute seminars. Awesome!

-Li0n

Thank you for your input. I would definitely like to read a Warren Buffet book if not more at some point. But I'm surprised to see some names that our Fastlane author pooh-poohs in his book, namely Orman, and others who espouse "Get Rich Slow" philosophies and/or whom got rich solely by selling those plans to others (Mr Buffet obviously not one of the latter). Personally, I've heard enough negative about Suze Orman that I'd only study her skills at selling her product. And again, I mean no disrespect, I mean to have a spirited but positive conversation on the subject.

Gregory Fleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 8, 2012
San Francisco USA
The best way you can become financially literate is to study accounting and finance...

I was already in awe before I read that you are a ripe old 20! You are someone I'd like to cultivate an association with, I can tell. Please feel free to add to your advice at any point. May I ask you questions as they arise? I'm seriously going to make sure I understand every word on your post by the time I'm done.

I'm curious, are you pursuing your Fastlane with all this financial knowledge/investing? Kudos on your "killing". I'm envious!

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Thank you for replying. Doesn't Mr. DeMarco blast these books in "Fastlane Millionaire"?

I won't argue against MJ's points in The Millionaire Fastlane ; they are rooted in sound principles. But MJ was once a member of the Rich Dad Forums like me and others.

I don't take sides when it comes to fastlane thinking. I value The 4-Hour Work Week just as much as I value Build a Business, Not a Job, The Millionaire Fastlane , Rich Dad, Poor Dad, Buffettology (You will love this book), and Think And Grow Rich. Dave Ramsey and Suze Orman books I don't. They are not in the league of the titles I listed. Dave and Suze do not preach what they practice...which is fine because there is a market for what they preach.

I just prefer to listen to people who preach what they practice.

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Sorry, not trying to pick on you. I have seen this guy's name much maligned in my research of late. People often complain his math and other claims don't jibe with reality. I don't say this to shut you down, more like I'd like to hear your reaction and others.

I don't know of any of the above claims, but the principles Ramsey teaches are sound for financial literacy 101 in my opinion. I mean if someone has no clue about how to manage their money, the stuff he teaches will put you on solid ground. Basic stuff like don't buy stuff you can't afford, pay down your debt if you have any, carry health and life insurance to protect you in the event that you're no longer able to work, etc. Once you have those basics covered, it makes it easier to progress up to the next level.

ryantreb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 4, 2012
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
the principles Ramsey teaches are sound for financial literacy 101

Agreed. I read his book when I was 20 and was about to go into debt to buy a motorcycle. I realized after 3 months of unemployment however, that there is no security in working for someone else. Dave's books are a great way to BEGIN your financial literacy. I believe MJ's point in disparaging, for lack of a better word, Dave and others like him is that a lot of people are of the mindset that the guru they read is the end all be all of financial literacy. After reading TMFL I realized that being an entrepreneur seemed more rational than working for "the man" until I'm 70 and hoping that Dave is right about the stock market averaging 12%/ year so that I can retire a millionaire. Having a Roth IRA and a 401k is not a bad thing, but your money could be leveraged more by using it to build a business.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't know of any of the above claims, but the principles Ramsey teaches are sound for financial literacy 101 in my opinion. I mean if someone has no clue about how to manage their money, the stuff he teaches will put you on solid ground. Basic stuff like don't buy stuff you can't afford, pay down your debt if you have any, carry health and life insurance to protect you in the event that you're no longer able to work, etc. Once you have those basics covered, it makes it easier to progress up to the next level.

Dave's books are a great way to BEGIN your financial literacy.

First, let me admit that I haven't read any of Dave's books. A lot of "Slowlane gurus" teach basis financial literacy so there is value in some of their books. As for Dave, I listen to Dave on the radio when I'm in the car late at night and I would agree that he espouses a lot of great tips that translate EXCELLENT to a Fastlane. He also seems to be, as of late, spinning into the entrepreneurship tome more and more. Bottomline, if you start earning $50K/mo and are spending $65K/mo, you're headed for big trouble. If you don't know how basic interest, bonds, stocks, and other instruments work, you're likely to end up in the poorhouse.

So if other's are saying his books are a great start toward that objective, I'm all for it. For example, Dave recommends an "emergency fund" and I'm all for it... he recommends $5K, I recommend $5,000,000.:smxF:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I'd also hold some emergency funds in something that is not a debt instrument. Take some chips off of the table

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
When I think of "financial literacy" I'm thinking in terms of learning how to determine what a business is worth and how I would go about putting a buyout price on it.

However, having said that, learning how to manage personal debt/cashflow/etc. is also important.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I was already in awe before I read that you are a ripe old 20! You are someone I'd like to cultivate an association with, I can tell. Please feel free to add to your advice at any point. May I ask you questions as they arise? I'm seriously going to make sure I understand every word on your post by the time I'm done.

I'm curious, are you pursuing your Fastlane with all this financial knowledge/investing? Kudos on your "killing". I'm envious!

I learned a lot of this when i was in high school (grade 9-12) because it was the only thing i found sanctuary in. i had no friends, because i developed severe social anxiety and depression from my very unattractive genetic skin disorder. becoming a financial money making genius was my burning desire(which i am NOT lol) to make up for my lack of confidence and self esteem. so i read every finance and investment book i could get my hands on. if you are curious, i made a killing with a stock i have been watching closely: Cemex SAB de CV (nyse:CX), i am NOT a brilliant investor but i do know how to identify special opportunities, its just like entrepreneurship, thats why a lot of people call MJ DeMarco "lucky" cause he started in the tech bubble, but all he did was spot an opportunity/need/market void/market desire etc and execute well on that.

this type of knowledge is very important in running and managing any fastlane business. i have been able to quit my part time clerk job and pay my way through college DEBT FREE with my venture, although i am NOT fastlane. far from it lol. i have been blessed with a mentor who recently sold his chemical sensor and valve company for $60 million.

the books that changed my life are: awaken the giant within by anthony robbins, the philosophy of Spinoza(philosophy of the passions and emotions and freedom) and of course the millionaire fastlane haha.

good luck in financial literacy and the fastlane dude! feel free to message me i love talking about finance and entrepreneurship.

disclosure: i am long CX, please do your OWN due diligence, this is NOT investment/financial advice

ryantreb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 4, 2012
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
I'm sure just about everyone has heard of Khan Academy by now, but for those who haven't, here are a few links.

Economics: Khan Academy, Khan Academy

Venture Capital: Khan Academy

General Finance: Khan Academy

Valuation and investing: Khan Academy

All the other finance pages can be found under "Humanities and Other" in the top menu. Good luck folks!

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
This is actually free on amazon. Amazon.com: The Philosophy of Spinoza eBook: Benedictus de Spinoza, Joseph Ratner: Kindle Store

yeah all of his works are free online, they are out of copyright obviously :). but if you want to study Spinoza's primary work: The Ethics, you are gonna have to to read a "guide" on his works by another author to guide you, because these are very very difficult philosophies that leaves you saying "What the F%$%K is he saying" and you wont even get past the first page. good luck! i recommend this book: The Ethics, the path to inner freedom: http://www.amazon.com/The-Ethics-Spinoza-SPINOSA/dp/0806505362/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1331581685&sr=8-9

DaysArt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 29, 2012
Mid-Atlantic Region, USA

sam22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
California

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Check out Ramit Sethi's book, How to Be Rich - Get Simple Tips On Personal Finance. It's not about how to value a company or anything like that. And you won't get rich from reading this book but it's a good intro to personal finance and creating systems to automate your finances.

Has the author ever built a fastlane business before? When looking at the "About" section of his site, his background seems to show that all he did was study the steps to getting rich rather than implement and then teach them. Any idea what he did before he published the book or the website?

sam22

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 23, 2012
California
Has the author ever built a fastlane business before? When looking at the "About" section of his site, his background seems to show that all he did was study the steps to getting rich rather than implement and then teach them. Any idea what he did before he published the book or the website?

Yes, I'd say his blog/book is a fastlane business. He's made over $1 million (source). Having said that, his book won't teach you how to build a fastlane business. Nonetheless, I like his blog because of the top-notch content on psychology/persuasion that you won't find elsewhere (at least not for free).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.