The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fixing my financial illiteracy

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Gregory Fleming

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 8, 2012
San Francisco USA
I appreciate the recommendations. Keep them coming! I'm doing Khan Academy. Seems like a good place to start. Then I'll pick among the recommendations in this thread and I'm going to pay particular attention to socaldude's post on concepts I need to understand (I even got an emulator of the HP 12c).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Have you used Freshbooks? Its a SAAS invoicing and billing business. I've heard good things about them but I have not tried them yet.

PokerRich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 15, 2008
Minnesota
Regarding finance: What do you guys think about Quickbooks?

I use QuickBooks for my personal and business finances. Quicken is the more popular software for personal finance. I think mint.com has similar functionality for free so don't go rushing out to pay $100 and buy the new latest and greatest version.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
i don't think you need fancy software for personal finance. think about how really rich people managed their money 50-60 years ago. i found that the best way is to just get a sheet of paper out and write/draw up some tables/diagrams. maybe draw myself my personal balance sheet, personal income statement, personal cash flow statement, and then do some qualitative analysis. google has some free resources that you can use to make it easier i suppose, there are a lot of free resources.

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
i don't think you need fancy software for personal finance. think about how really rich people managed their money 50-60 years ago. i found that the best way is to just get a sheet of paper out and write/draw up some tables/diagrams. maybe draw myself my personal balance sheet, personal income statement, personal cash flow statement, and then do some qualitative analysis. google has some free resources that you can use to make it easier i suppose, there are a lot of free resources.

The beauty of this approach is it helps you learn the fundamentals. John D. Rockefeller Sr. kept a handwritten ledger where he did his book keeping and accounting down to the penny. This example, of course, speaks to SoCal's point about how the really rich managed their money back in the day.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
If you are just looking for budgeting
I swear by YNAB. They have a free month trial. It's been a life saver for me.

squall74

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Mar 14, 2012
Auburn, WA
I actually build my own excel spreadsheets for a basic understanding of real estate valuations. It's not fancy and I still don't know how to do fancy formulas but writing it myself gave me more control as to what I want to look for when plotting numbers.

As far as books go most authors write one great book, and end up rehashing the same concept over other books. I'd be wary of any author who puts out a ton of books. Do your due diligence to see if it's worth reading more of their material.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.