The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fitness Goal... Reward.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Just wanted to update everyone. I hit 186 today and got measured for 2 new custom suits :)

I got to my fitness goal. Now I'm going to start lifting and just eating to maintain.

Lost 40 total pounds.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So, weighed in yesterday at... 199. I am under 200 for the first time since senior year of high school!!! :)

Still working on it! :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
GREAT what you have already accomplished.

Couple quick things.

I would set another goal RIGHT now that is a month after Beer and pancakes. Maybe run a 5 k. And WELL before that date set another goal a month later and so on. I have failed to do this in the past, get is great shape for say a triathlon, do the race and then completely fall off the fitness wagon.

How many calories are you having per day now, do you know? This could help you decide if 1700 is good for you. Then again you have already done so great maybe just keep doing what you have been doing.

I would suggest one day every week or so to bump your calories approx 500 calories to keep your metabolism going. If you find yourself getting cold when normally you would not, it is a sing your metabolism is slowing down some.

Maybe a goal of a certain waist measurment would be better then a weight goal. Reason being you could lose 20 lbs but look GREAT because you have gained 15lbs of muscle. Quick and dirty method to make sure you are losing fat and not muscle. Every other day measure yourself at your belly button and one bicep when it is flexed. The waist will tell you if you are losing fat and the bicep will tell you if you are losing muscle as we usually carry a fairly low amount of fat in your arm.

Also weigh yourself every AM upon rising. If you are NOT losing weight but losing in the belly button you are still good to go as you are losing fat.

ROCK on my man!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I would like the weight loss to be over with quicker honestly. I want to get back to maintaining weight as fast as possible. Diets suck.

What keeps me going is the thought that if I can't do it now I will probably never be able to do it. I always have this image in my mind of a very healthy me that works out every day and looks great, it is always in the future. So I said screw this, it's now or never. I have no reason to think the motivation will come later. It is either this or I am going to be overweight the rest of my life and it makes me work for sure.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I currently weigh 225 lbs. 190 is about ideal for my height. I am built for lifting, I have not needed protein supplements etc to build good muscle in the past.

So I am setting out to lose 35 lbs by May, but hopefully by B&P! My reward, a trip to Bill Walker in downtown Houston and a new custom suit or 2.

I have begun to cut calories down to 1700 on days I work out and 1200 on days that I do not. I am going to run 3 miles per day 5 days per week and work out one muscle group per day 5 days per week. I have also started doing 100 crunches per day.

I am hoping to not only lose the weight but form a new healthy habit.

I know there are some fitness gurus on FLF that can chime in and critique my plan. What do yall think? I will post progress on this forum!

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I am 5'10" built on the larger side, thus the ability to put on muscle. I would probably be at 15% at 190.

Sorry to break this to you, but at 5'10" the high end of your ideal weight range is 173. (Hamwi formula). Body fat is extremely important! So at 235 pounds I am guessing you are probably pushing 35% body fat. (you can calculate it with several different formulas at: Body Fat Calculator )Which means about 82 pounds of you is fat. When you consider that fat is 20% larger than the same amount of muscle, you see that you can lose a lot of inches by converting fat to muscle. Also muscle burns more calories daily than fat does so as you build more muscle you can lose more weight. I would recommend a HIIT program that is a short 20 minute workout, where you go through about 5-6 exercises, doing each one as hard as you can for 40-50 seconds, then a 10 second break then on to the next exercise, then rest a full minute between sets. Do 5 sets. So the exercises might be: jump rope, squats, push-ups, bicycle crunches and plank. I lost 15 points of body fat in 4 weeks doing this kind of program. We have a HIIT program guide on the website that gets you videos and some different plans, I can't give it away as the author gets a fixed amount of each program, but I can give you a coupon to get it down to what the author gets, 75% off. Send me a PM if you want a coupon (any forum members that can PM can do this). If you can get your body fat down in the 15-18% range your body becomes much more self sustaining at that weight as the muscle is burning so many more calories per day than the fat. (I have the exact number of calories around here somewhere but I can't put my hands on it at the moment.)

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
If I eat 50 apples day, then I'm not going to lose weight.

It's calorie in versus calorie out.

What is healthy for me isn't healthy for you. Diet is subjective.

Exactly. It is calories. If you want to lose fat you have GOT to have a calorie deficit. Either by exercising more than you eat or eating less than the calories you use. Or both.

Eating healthy is NOT going to make you lose fat if you eat too many calories.

It REALLY is basic. Move more and eat less.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
How are you in regards to self-discipline?

Normally pretty bad. The food was worth more to me than a fitter body. I always told myself that I would "one day" be fit and spend an hour or two in the gym every day. Basically I have decided that if I can't do this RIGHT NOW, then I will be mediocre (in terms of fitness) forever. That scares the shit out of me.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Still at it. This morning's cardio.
ry7e4aru.jpg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Despite my setbacks, I decided to weigh myself today after only 1 week of paleo and 4 nights in the gym. To my surprise I am down 20lbs total to 206! I probably lost 4-5 this week on paleo.

I can not believe that I lost 20 lbs off of my body, I don't even feel THAT much slimmer. But I am playing much better golf.

This does motivate me more though! I have 15 more to go, hopefully before B&P I can put the order in for the new suit at a 34 waist, but have decided to hold off until I lose enough to get to a comfortable 34 regardless of weight.

(currently a 36, was a 38-40 at my worst)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
OK guys. So the way I have done this is not strict one way or another. I did paleo for a while, surprisingly, I actually got sick of eating steaks and chicken. Started eating bread and pasta again and just ate lean.

So I NEVER eat fast food any more. EVER. I used to eat it 4-5 times per week.

I ALWAYS get some kind of exercise EVERY DAY.

And what I have been doing lately is loading up on protein in the morning and going until 5-7PM without eating anything else. Then I eat dinner. This morning I ate a Cliff Builders bar with 20g or protein and drank an Atkins shake with another 15g of protein. I have only taken in 430 calories today and I will feel fine almost all day. I also drink a lot of water, tea and coffee instead of soda or sports drinks.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I got a salad for some crazy reason the other day from whole foods... thought I might eat healthy for the day (for some reason). I think I did something wrong though because the salad checked out at like $12

:eusa_clap:

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Ok so if lowering the calories is not the way to lose fat what is?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ok guys I have a 1 week weigh in. Results are staggering! I am now 219. 6 lbs gone!

Really motivated me that what I am doing is working. :cool:

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
Normally pretty bad. The food was worth more to me than a fitter body. I always told myself that I would "one day" be fit and spend an hour or two in the gym every day. Basically I have decided that if I can't do this, then I will be mediocre (in terms of fitness) forever. That scares the shit out of me.

After reading your post last week on this, I got back on track and and down about 3lbs. Feels great to get up in the morning now!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I just got back from the gym.

So I decided my results were not happening fast enough. I am now doing 2 workouts per day and burning off 400-700 calories each time. I don't want to just lose the weight, I want to have a damn near perfect body.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The current total weight lost since I started this is 9 lbs I am down to 216. I have been eating a protein bar or 2 per day. They really tide me over and let my stomach retract as they are not very big. Overall though, my body has undergone a much larger transformation. I have muscle definition and and am losing the love handles.

Still at it. Look forward to my workouts now. I can't wait to have my ideal body and my new suit.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Hows it going Kak?

I did some research in the last few days on a new diet to use in the future when I will work my job. The leangains IF worked great for me but I won't have much time to workout as I had before and don't want to take prepared meals to the office each day. Also I feel that the calorie restriction takes some concentration and power away from me and I want to be at the top of my game.

Read a lot on bulletproofexec.com in the last days and decided yesterday to go with the rapid fat loss protocol (» Bulletproof Rapid Fat Loss Protocol: How to Lose Fat Way Faster Than You Should The Bulletproof Executive) until at least end of january. In this protocol I will only drink coffee with grass-fed butter and MCT-oil (no other food!) and take a bunch of supplements, plus a refeed day once a week. The results from this protocol seems quite promising. Ordered a bunch of supplements, high quality coffee etc yesterday.

Will continue with the bulletproof IF protocol after I finished the rapid fat loss thing, which is basically IF with the special coffee added in the morning.

Maybe its something for you, too. I'm pretty convinced of the effectiveness and he pretty much backs up every single word he says with proper research studies. Will report back with results in a few weeks.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am still at it an am going to a Paleoesque diet. Meat, Veggies, Fruit, Eggs...

I have not weighed myself since last time, but will fully admit I had about a 2 week total f-up. I am assuming I am right around 210, which would be the lowest I have weighed in at since freshman year of college.

Found a new way to occupy my time on the cardio machines. Top Gear U.K. on Netflix. This show is hilarious and bad a$$! There are like 15 seasons too. Burned 770 calories in 1 hour, I used to get bored in 15 mins...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm down to 200 now. A few weeks ago I bought a new jeans and it didn't fit very well, had to exercise a lot of effort to close it and it was kinda hard to move in it, go up stairs etc because it was so tight. I didn't really wear it because of that. Tried it on 2 weeks ago and it fit better. Now it nearly slips down and looks like a rapper baggy jeans.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am getting exited for new suits. I have been hesitant to buy new ones because I knew I wasn't at my best weight. I can probably re-taylor the ones I wear now too.

I can't wait!!!! :D

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Hey guys, I'm down 10 pounds this month as of last week. Need to reweigh myself tomorrow morning.

Wanted to let you all know that water can affect your weight a ton!
8.3454 pounds
That is how much a gallon of water weighs. If you're anything like myself, I drink 1-2 gallons per day.
Just keep that in mind and ALWAYS weigh in at the same time and under the same circumstances/clothes.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I started January at 170.5 or something like that.

Sunday morning I was at 161.0.

I can see the results.

I can feel them too.

This is cool.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
How tall are you? 6'4?

calorie in versus calorie out, is the secret

Lower carbs for cut abs, abs are made in the kitchen.

Honestly it's not even about the ideal weight, it's about the fat percentage you have.

If I were you, I would consider every other day fasting. If losing weight depends on exercising cut the calories even more. The only purpose to exercise is for health purposes like lowering blood pressure, not as a weight loss measure.

I would also read up on a bodybuilding forum, since I check those places out, they seem best for general health for the average person. Protein is important to prevent losing lean body mass.

Below is body fat percentage, in my opinion 10-12% is perfect looking
body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
that is unhealthy for anyone. Not a balanced diet.

Healthy food is healthy food no matter how you look at it.

It's about balance and understanding your body. You're right, everyone's body is different and each of us will respond differently to different diets.

Some people can eat fast food all day and remain skinny. But are they healthy? no.

and for most all of overweight people. (25lb+).. You're looking at some imbalances within the bodies system. If you don't repair the imbalances first, you're not getting a great start.

Diet is the cure for many of these imbalances. Insulin resistance is a huge one and a problem for many.

EDIT: again, calorie restriction is not healthy for your body. Your body runs on 100% energy yet you want to give it 75% to drain it, and give it LESS fuel than it needs to operate + repair + function properly for weight loss demands.

Your body doesn't have an inner calculator for calories, and not all calories are created equal.

Caloric restriction is the best way you can lose body fat, while taking protein. There's no way around this unless this guy plans to lose weight at a snail pace which I doubt because we all want to binge sometimes at holidays, or what not. If he only loses 5 lbs a year by running, then he'll probably just toss the towel and enjoy life. I know I'll quit if I'm not seeing results.

The body is a powerful machine, it can survive on less "fuel", some people even feel better on every other day fasting. It's not going to collapse on you so easily, to the surprise to the media who think fasting is going to kill you after 3 days.

There is a reason why bodybuilders bulk up, and then cut. Cutting by eating protein mainly to prevent losing muscle, while lowering their calorie intake enough so the body burns up the fat. Thus losing body fat with minimal lost of lean body muscle.

I agree eating "healthy" is important, but calorie plays a big role in everything. The cure to most problems is not diet, it's having a healthy body weight. He can do the whole healthy dieting after he loses the weight.

I doubt Kak wants to change his diet anyways, he just wants to lose weight. He knows that eating donuts is not good for him.

Breather

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Oct 24, 2012
Metabolic Rate Overview | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

The masses and mass media over-simplify calories in vs calories out. It's not that "simple". Not all calories are created equal.

You have a very simple take on this subject.

I have briefly spoken to Rob Riches, Professional body builder about this subject. He told me in his exact words "Slow and steady wins the race" in terms of weight loss. Sustainable weight loss.

It's not about how fast you lose the weight, a lot of times when this happens its just as easy to put the weight back on. But i Guarantee if anyone who is overweight started eating healthy = Lean meats, Vegetables, Nuts and fruits. The weight would just fall off. (like it has for myself)

and btw, Bodybuilders do a lot more than "cut calories" during a cut. A lot of them get into ketosis to achieve a shredded look. They may cut calories, but NOT below their total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). They just changed WHAT calories are put into there body.

My main goal is to help the original poster because i feel passionate on this subject and wish him success. There is a lot more to losing fat then telling someone "calories in vs calories out!"

I've been there done that. It's possible to Gain muscle + Lose Fat. Yes.... yes it is.

I eat near 3000 calories a day, and am getting closer each week to achieving 12% body fat than i was at eating 1700. + I'm retaining all my muscle plus gaining.

This isn't "bro-science".

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Everyone has a million and one things for advice. Just remember BF% is always skewed even in a bodpod. So your 15% might be different from someone elses.

EDIT: also depends on what the person used to measure. Just make sure you be 100% consistent and the number drops week by week.

Plus 1 to the person that said abs are made in the kitchen. Diet is 80% of the battle. It's really not complex.

The only thing i content and what to know is where you got that 5'10" should be at 190... thats heavy for 5'10". I am 5'11" at 14% walk around and at my height 180 i looked somewhat big. I think around 170 is standard weight for that height.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
1000 Calories today. I worked off 500 of them according to the treadmill. I wonder what my maintenance level is. It definitely isn't 500.

My stats are about the same as you. 5'10 - but I'm around 200lbs. 1000 calories is nowhere close to consuming enough man.

You've got to be at around 1500 calories or so depending on how much you work out.

Personally, carbs have been the killer for me. When I have a week when I let my diet slip and just eat bread, pasta etc - the weight just crawls back up and I feel disgusted. I usually eat vegetables and protein to make up my 1500 cals most days.

Jamillah

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Sep 23, 2012
CO
This is a great thread, a big motivator!
What's your favorite exercise routine? What keeps you going? I have noticed that I have to change things up every month or two, or I get bored with it. I tried kickboxing with weights a few months ago and I really like it, it's fun :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.