The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First home

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
For the purchase of a first home, I plan to make sure it's an investment first, and a residence second. I was wondering what kind of % discount would makes sense if I only lived in the property for 2-5 years before selling it. I know commission and closing costs can eat away at any appreciation in such a short time span, so what should I look for here?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Add Value

I would look for something you can add value to in some way...

We got our start by purchasing a home that we later turned into a college rental.. we were able to take the place (sfr) and turn it into a duplex. Because it was only 4 blocks from campus, we decided to hold it long term - as it does make a great rental. always occupied.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Also, if you know that its going to become a rental property somewhere down the line. Make sure it at least will breakeven for you when you rent it out later. Since its a residence first, you can't really base your purchase on cashflow. But if you get a house that is negative $1000 a month vs. renting, it's not going to be a good investment later on.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
analysis

I was wondering what kind of % discount would makes sense if I only lived in the property for 2-5 years before selling it. I know commission and closing costs can eat away at any appreciation in such a short time span, so what should I look for here?

I don't know what you exactly mean when you say % discount, but I think I see what you are getting at. I would take a multi-faceted approach to this and 1. find out what appreciation rates are in your area (ask an appraiser not a Realtor) 2. Find out the median home price in that area, and then look for a home that is below that number- and ideally under market value as well. 3.Find out what rental rates are and like the previous post said calculate what you could get for rents now and make sure that it is over what your mortgage would be.
Good luck- and great idea!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jason_MI

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 25, 2007
If you can, treat it like any other investment....that is, go for the discount. And I think you said "Live in it for TWO years before moving"....no benefit for staying longer, tax-wise.

I did real Volluci's chapter on tax strategey's; the 1031 thing to a rental you live in was interesting.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.