• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Real Estate First home

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by JesseO, Jul 26, 2007.

1. JesseO

JesseO Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102
    For the purchase of a first home, I plan to make sure it's an investment first, and a residence second. I was wondering what kind of % discount would makes sense if I only lived in the property for 2-5 years before selling it. I know commission and closing costs can eat away at any appreciation in such a short time span, so what should I look for here?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Be in the Moment Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,770
    Add Value

I would look for something you can add value to in some way...

We got our start by purchasing a home that we later turned into a college rental.. we were able to take the place (sfr) and turn it into a duplex. Because it was only 4 blocks from campus, we decided to hold it long term - as it does make a great rental. always occupied.

Enki likes this.
  3. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $189,358
    Also, if you know that its going to become a rental property somewhere down the line. Make sure it at least will breakeven for you when you rent it out later. Since its a residence first, you can't really base your purchase on cashflow. But if you get a house that is negative $1000 a month vs. renting, it's not going to be a good investment later on.

Enki likes this.
  4. yveskleinsky

yveskleinsky Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,743
    analysis

I don't know what you exactly mean when you say % discount, but I think I see what you are getting at. I would take a multi-faceted approach to this and 1. find out what appreciation rates are in your area (ask an appraiser not a Realtor) 2. Find out the median home price in that area, and then look for a home that is below that number- and ideally under market value as well. 3.Find out what rental rates are and like the previous post said calculate what you could get for rents now and make sure that it is over what your mortgage would be.
    Good luck- and great idea!

5. Jason_MI

Jason_MI New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $50
    If you can, treat it like any other investment....that is, go for the discount. And I think you said "Live in it for TWO years before moving"....no benefit for staying longer, tax-wise.

I did real Volluci's chapter on tax strategey's; the 1031 thing to a rental you live in was interesting.

6. JesseO

JesseO Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Thanks for all the responses, everyone. :D

Enki likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.