The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First business startup. Help?

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
Hi guys, I have a rather good (well.. at least in my opinion) idea on a web business. It's basically a Pay-Per-Click ad service that I'm trying to start.

I've zero business experience, zero programming knowledge (I only know a little HTML lol).
Well this would be my first serious business venture if I work at it. I've read a hell lot on business, did absolutely nothing, (besides tons of thinking/fantasizing.. lol yeah i know, don't judge haha) and I think it's about time I start.

So... any advice? Should I find more experienced people / a web programmer for a joint venture? How much does outsourcing this cost? Programming the entire thing from scratch is a big no for me. It'll take way too long.

I need a little guidance. Thanks for reading and I'd love if anyone could help me out. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold777

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Nov 3, 2011
You have zero programming knowledge but you want to start a website, well how do you WANT to start that website? How are you going to start it? Are you going to learn how to program then make it yourself or are you going to hire someone else to do it for you? Only you know these questions and you already know what to do you just need to be reassured. Don't worry about business experience right now, you don't need to have business experience to start a website just a good plan.

You might want to check out this thread, it might be of help to you:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/we...hink-about-starting-idea-plan.html#post188927

Last edited by a moderator:

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
You have zero programming knowledge but you want to start a website, well how do you WANT to start that website? How are you going to start it? Are you going to learn how to program then make it yourself or are you going to hire someone else to do it for you? Only you know these questions and you already know what to do you just need to be reassured. Don't worry about business experience right now, you don't need to have business experience to start a website just a good plan.

You might want to check out this thread, it might be of help to you:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/we...hink-about-starting-idea-plan.html#post188927

Get someone to do it for me. I believe it's the fastest way I can get it up and running.

Outsourcing looks like the best method for now, but I have zero experience in hiring programmers, which is the main problem for now. I've never bought any service online in my entire life. So I could use some guidance.. (many things come to mind like - will they steal my idea? can they hack my site? how much does it cost? how long will it take? can they really do everything for me?)

Sorry for the ignorance, I've been in the slowlane my entire life, now that I (finally) have freedom to direct my financial life, I'm completely paralyzed.

And I've just read your other post, I do agree that a plan is useful and I do not have one right now. You're right, I should come up with one now. But at the same time I don't think plans have to be complete/detailed. Because I've read that once you start, the marketplace can take you anywhere with suggestions so you have to suit their demands and go with the flow. (I think that came from MJ's book... not too sure though)

Sorry if I might come off a little arrogant (I can't tell if I am.. lol), I really do appreciate the help. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
before you go forward and potentially lose money and more important time... think. Look at this subjectively as if it was anything else in life. An entrepreneur is just a middle man. As a middle man what would be the smartest way to get someone to build a site for you? Recommendation, if you do not know how to frame a house, it would be ridiculous to think you could interview framers and know which one to pick. If your buddy was a builder and used framers cheap and successfully for 20 years.... i think we know your good.

Thats the best piece of advice i can give anyone that doesnt know web dev. If you do know how to manage, then by all means outsource but do not just go to one of these outsourcing websites and pick someone. Dont rush it, get someone proven to do what you need through a strong recommendation. Then get another person on the side thats not developing it to check their progress.... he will tell you honest things or things they may not think to tell you.

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
before you go forward and potentially lose money and more important time... think. Look at this subjectively as if it was anything else in life. An entrepreneur is just a middle man. As a middle man what would be the smartest way to get someone to build a site for you? Recommendation, if you do not know how to frame a house, it would be ridiculous to think you could interview framers and know which one to pick. If your buddy was a builder and used framers cheap and successfully for 20 years.... i think we know your good.

Thats the best piece of advice i can give anyone that doesnt know web dev. If you do know how to manage, then by all means outsource but do not just go to one of these outsourcing websites and pick someone. Dont rush it, get someone proven to do what you need through a strong recommendation. Then get another person on the side thats not developing it to check their progress.... he will tell you honest things or things they may not think to tell you.

Great advice. But how do I get another person to check the progress..? Hire 2 at one go?

Suddenly I have a temptation to go full force trial and error until I find a good one... :p

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Sorry for the ignorance, I've been in the slowlane my entire life, now that I (finally) have freedom to direct my financial life, I'm completely paralyzed.

Your entire life? Your 16!!! LOL

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
Your entire life? Your 16!!! LOL

Lol is there anything wrong? I've had instructions on exactly what to do to be on the "right path" until now. I'm completely new to this. Is it clearer for you now?

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Lol is there anything wrong?

I just expect that statement from someone much older. LOL

I think it's great that you have this mindset now. I wish I had it when I was your age. I hope you become very successful. You will learn a lot on this forum. Good Luck!

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
And I've just read your other post, I do agree that a plan is useful and I do not have one right now. You're right, I should come up with one now. But at the same time I don't think plans have to be complete/detailed.

Right, but at this point you have NO plan. That's different than an incomplete one that you can pivot and modify.

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
Right, but at this point you have NO plan. That's different than an incomplete one that you can pivot and modify.

Yeah, I already have it done.

By the way, does anyone know what programming languages are required to build the site..?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Yeah, I already have it done.

By the way, does anyone know what programming languages are required to build the site..?

All you're building is a PPC ad service? Well, you need the layout which will use HTML5 and CSS (get someone to build that), the payment service which you will probably not be coding, and the sign-up service, which uses PHP and SQL. I'm doing something similar (not PPC).

I have small HTML/CSS experience, but I know zero about PHP and SQL. Look for scripts on the Internet that do what you want to do; 90% of the time you will find it. Also, use View Source on pages that do what you want and modify that code a little bit. But be careful with this one: there's a difference between sampling code and stealing it (stealing it deals more with the creative aspect, e.g. stealing a layout or a logo).

Good luck.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
Also, use View Source on pages that do what you want and modify that code a little bit.

FYI, you can't see any server-side or backend programming with this. You'll only see html/css layout and possibly javascript functions.

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
All you're building is a PPC ad service? Well, you need the layout which will use HTML5 and CSS (get someone to build that), the payment service which you will probably not be coding, and the sign-up service, which uses PHP and SQL. I'm doing something similar (not PPC).

I have small HTML/CSS experience, but I know zero about PHP and SQL. Look for scripts on the Internet that do what you want to do; 90% of the time you will find it. Also, use View Source on pages that do what you want and modify that code a little bit. But be careful with this one: there's a difference between sampling code and stealing it (stealing it deals more with the creative aspect, e.g. stealing a layout or a logo).

Good luck.

Thanks for the help!

I think I have to be a little more specific here.

Yes it's basis is just a PPC ad service, but I'm using a very new approach that can attract a different group of people. (Like the vodka in a skull-shaped bottle idea)

Anyway, I plan to let users use Twitter to sign-in, but of course there are certain data like their activities/cash earned that needs to be saved in my site's database. So that still requires PHP/SQL?

Also they're using Twitter to tweet the PPC links, and each unique click means $$. What programming language do I need to record these unique clicks..?

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
I just expect that statement from someone much older. LOL

I think it's great that you have this mindset now. I wish I had it when I was your age. I hope you become very successful. You will learn a lot on this forum. Good Luck!

Thank you. It's never too late to start and you're actually rather young yourself! And sorry for being rude.

Good luck to you too :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.