The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First attempts at clawing my way out of the slow lane

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
I decided to start my own execution thread. I have been working on making a new product to assist with accessibility to training in a sport that I am heavily involved with (I have been consistently doing this sport for 12 years). I don’t think that this product would violate the “don’t do what you love” outlook. The reason for that is because what I love is doing the sport, not selling this kind of product. Although I have really been psyched to contribute to the community around my sport. My idea basically takes a current already existing device and adds new ideas to it, ultimately making a more accessible, portable version. In addition, you could train for a completely different part of the sport that was is currently difficult to train for. I have made a complete 3d version of my design in Rhinoceros, the 3d modeling software.

There is a company already out there doing something similar, but their version has terrible reviews on amazon. People seem to hate it; they sacrificed a lot in their design and it came out to be meh. And I don’t think they are marketing it well either, their website is sub-par.

I have been asking around for advice about the product, thanks @amp0193 and @Walter Hay . I am deciding between which materials to use. Perhaps, I can give the customer the choice of materials, wood, high density foam, or maybe plastic if it takes off. Although, this might end up being too complicated. I am going to begin shaping the prototype myself next week. I became a member at a local makerspace. I took a CNC class and now have full access to their machine!

I am going to receive a high density foam sample shipment from Rigid Polyurethane Foam Sheets - High Density Hard Foam Blocks | General Plastics by next week hopefully, as well as test out some wood versions. I’ll be able to begin testing foam and wood to see if the surfaces on my invention have the tensile strength to support the kind of activity I have envisioned for the product.

In addition, I have a few people who have signed on to be a part of the beta testing crew. I wanted to integrate all of their ideas before I got my product up for sale. I am not sure if this is the right way to go about this, or if I should just put it up for sale as soon as possible and let customers tell me what to change about it. Giving a group of people the beta version seems better to me. Ideally, the public version will be better because of the additional opinions I will receive. However, this will take longer. This process is exciting so far.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How big the market size for your sport?

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
25 million people do this sport regularly around the globe, and it is growing rapidly.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I have seen the drawings for this product and although I have never participated in that sport I can see a huge benefit for those wanting easy access to training equipment.

Testing is important before marketing because some of the materials being tried are not previously used for this kind of application.

Kirill has obviously thought the design through very carefully and I think he is on a winner provided the materials hold up.

Congratulations on the progress you have made so far @Kirill Langer

Walter

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
I met the guy who made Swellaway which was meant to be a really good way to help athletes recover from swelling. HUGE market but obviously since it's a medical thing, it took a lot of time to get the right approval etc...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2kPUEIwe5k

I don't think they made much progress with it (literally took like 2 years to gain approval) but I think he sold the business. Might be something to investigate a little more.

--

Update, I tried to find some videos of the inventor (Richard Mills) but it looks like they've been taken down. You can see an interview with him (with images) here: Richard pitches for cash after City Region Award

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
Hi all,

I have been busy working and thinking on a path out of the financial instability that people normally endure graciously. I have made a good deal of progress creating a prototype of my idea that I discussed before, and I am gaining mastery of 3D modeling and working with CNC machines. I will continue finishing up the prototype. In addition, I have already had some insights about the future of my new product idea.

For example, it will likely not be possible for me (at least not me alone) to make these on a mass scale with a CNC machine. It would probably take about 5 hours per unit to make this out of CNC alone. I will have to make a mold in the future, and get some company to mass produce them out of plastic. This will be something to face once the initial model is completed. I think this violates the control commandment but I don't have a way around this without building a factory or something.

I have been feeling the forewarned pull toward other ideas. I know that it is not recommended to pursue more than one idea at once. But I still have been, since I can only work on the first idea during the time when the makerspace I go to is open on M-F. The other one involves Amazon FBA. I have been spending a lot of time learning about how to use Jungle Scout and how to get manufacturers to ship to Amazon for you. I have a product idea in mind already that I am interested in trying to dropship. I am rationalizing this to myself as something that would be beneficial to pursue because it would significantly assist my first idea anyway. If I get an Amazon seller account and have experience, then it will be that much easier for the first idea to be sellable on a mass scale. Amazon would be a good start for the first product as well as the new idea, but I will also probably end up diversifying to other platforms to retain a margin of safety from unforseen bans etc.

I have heard that it is easier to get started with Shopify if you don't have as much capital, and it would be fine to only manufacture based on demand there. Does anyone have experience with starting selling a new product on Shopify and selling on demand? If so, it could be better for me to begin with the first product on Shopify since it will be a bitch to start making it without real, invested demand.

Dropshipping just seems a lot easier as well, and so I feel that it might be worth my time to seriously jump in and learn about the ins and outs of what it takes to sell on Amazon. FBA people on this forum generally recommend that new sellers just do it and try to make something happen if they are curious about it. I am still debating about whether or not to commit to my second idea.

In addition, the time I have before the start of the coding bootcamp I am attending in late May to early Aug is running out. I am still planning on going through with it. I like coding and think it could be extremely useful for my future with entrepreneurship. I am rationalizing doing that as a way to fund my entrepreneurial endeavors and pay off my student loan debt once I get a job. The program I am entering is extremely good at getting people jobs (job placement rates of 90 percentish), and the starting salaries are generally high. I should easily be able to afford to make more investments in my business ideas in the future after I am in a financial position like that. I will lose a lot of time, but I will continue grinding away at escaping corporate slavery during my time away from work.

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
I pretty much completed the main part of my device out of CNC milling a couple of pieces of MDF. Now I am trying to find out how to connect another part that is the other important feature of my idea, which would make it easier to set up and more portable than my competition. It is an engineering problem that I am not sure how to figure out so I have been reaching out to some people for assistance with it.

One of my friends from a few years ago said her brother has a shop where he contracts for NASA and Ocean exploration teams or something. She said he could probably figure out the engineering problem for me. In addition he might produce the initial round of these products for me at a fair price. I think we are going to get a quote from him to see what it would cost to produce 10 of my items in his shop. I am psyched about this because it could potentially be hugely discounted from what it would cost to make it in China. However, I am hesitant to involve her in this because I would be giving up some control and future profit. The thing is that she is a production manager, so I think it may be a good move. It's hard to pass up a shortcut like this one. A production manager and her intelligent contracting brother just joined my team after a short conversation? It seems too good to be true. He also has a patent for a new way to remove screws from furniture, and I have been really wanting to make my product in a way that did not involve screwing. So it is exciting stuff.

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
It has been a crazy year for me but I have kept this book and the teachings from it in the back of my mind. I believe that I am finally in a position where I can make something happen for myself.

I went through a year of mental work and learning how to code in Ruby and Javascript. I was studying hard, routinely struggling through hundred hour weeks to pass that bootcamp I enrolled in. I passed it, though many in my cohort didn't. I was able to learn enough to get offered a job after my first tech interview. I moved across the country to take it and they are teaching me a lot. Despite making 50k more than my last job, I am working less and not at all on weekends. I love the mission of the company and have an interesting role, so I feel happy about it overall. This is still a salaried position though, so I am trading my time away for that salary and the benefits and that doesn't fully satisfy me.

I decided to make a mobile app that is going to be a new concept for my sport niche. It will connect people together in a way that should help people a lot. I am really excited about it and am working on it pretty much every night. It involves learning Flutter. This is a huge hurdle for me, but Flutter is awesome because you can code for Android and IOS at once. This should create a massive amount of accessibility to my product as soon as it is released to the app store / google play.

I am working with a few others on the project, despite the recommendation that I work alone from MFL. I think that it could backfire, but it makes things more fun, and also one of the other programmers I am working with is very good at Flutter. He will definitely speed things up and is already almost done with making our backend.

I also hope to be good enough at Flutter to make mobile apps really fast in the future, which could generate other business ventures quickly. I am nervous about my app failing since it will depend heavily on users, but I am hoping for the best.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Hey @kila5454, has there been any progress or change with the training aid?

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
I have put that on the back burner at the moment. I actually did get to the point where I made two prototypes out of MDF with a CNC machine. I am still excited about that idea but I just don't think it is as scalable at the moment.

Software is immensely scalable and free of requiring storage space and shipping so that seems like the way to go given that I learned programming anyway. A successful mobile application has many benefits like reach and faster customer request fulfillment.

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
I think if that happens then at least I will have learned how to make a flutter app to some extent, and then I can use that on the next app attempt. What happened to you though? Did you get no user downloads in the app store / google play? Did you have a business strategy that didn't work out or something?

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
I think if that happens then at least I will have learned how to make a flutter app to some extent, and then I can use that on the next app attempt. What happened to you though? Did you get no user downloads in the app store / google play? Did you have a business strategy that didn't work out or something?
This was before fastlane so i didnt know anything about this value biz.I developed an app for a few months only to find out not many people downloaded nor did they care.After that failure i read MFL

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
Quick update:

I have been making a ton of progress on the mobile app I am building. I come home every day and boot up the codebase. I have successfully taught myself dart (the language flutter is coded in) and now I make progress basically every time I start working on it. We have expanded our small team to include two friends who did design work for us for free. They made some great mockups which I am going to incorporate soon after I do some more functionality work. In addition, a well connected friend that I know has offered to put me in contact with some people who are high up in the world of my sport as well as people high up in google who will likely support the app. This could gain it a ton of credibility and possibly some investment. I have chosen to wait on that for now until we have a fully working version.

I am loving the process of pouring this much effort out into a potential passive income stream. I am amazed at how much I have been able to conjure up over the past month in the form of code that generates this app. I feel it getting closer and closer to completion and obsessively want to work on it instead of sitting in meetings at my office. But the good news is that I was able to pay off all my student loan debt, and now just my bootcamp debt remains. I am working 80 + hours a week typically now, but it's all getting me closer to a shot at the fastlane dream.

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
Quick update:

I have been making a ton of progress on the mobile app I am building. I come home every day and boot up the codebase. I have successfully taught myself dart (the language flutter is coded in) and now I make progress basically every time I start working on it. We have expanded our small team to include two friends who did design work for us for free. They made some great mockups which I am going to incorporate soon after I do some more functionality work. In addition, a well connected friend that I know has offered to put me in contact with some people who are high up in the world of my sport as well as people high up in google who will likely support the app. This could gain it a ton of credibility and possibly some investment. I have chosen to wait on that for now until we have a fully working version.

I am loving the process of pouring this much effort out into a potential passive income stream. I am amazed at how much I have been able to conjure up over the past month in the form of code that generates this app. I feel it getting closer and closer to completion and obsessively want to work on it instead of sitting in meetings at my office. But the good news is that I was able to pay off all my student loan debt, and now just my bootcamp debt remains. I am working 80 + hours a week typically now, but it's all getting me closer to a shot at the fastlane dream.

I HOPE YOU SMASH IT OUT OF THE PARK!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
It has been a crazy year for me but I have kept this book and the teachings from it in the back of my mind. I believe that I am finally in a position where I can make something happen for myself.

I went through a year of mental work and learning how to code in Ruby and Javascript. I was studying hard, routinely struggling through hundred hour weeks to pass that bootcamp I enrolled in. I passed it, though many in my cohort didn't. I was able to learn enough to get offered a job after my first tech interview. I moved across the country to take it and they are teaching me a lot. Despite making 50k more than my last job, I am working less and not at all on weekends. I love the mission of the company and have an interesting role, so I feel happy about it overall. This is still a salaried position though, so I am trading my time away for that salary and the benefits and that doesn't fully satisfy me.

I decided to make a mobile app that is going to be a new concept for my sport niche. It will connect people together in a way that should help people a lot. I am really excited about it and am working on it pretty much every night. It involves learning Flutter. This is a huge hurdle for me, but Flutter is awesome because you can code for Android and IOS at once. This should create a massive amount of accessibility to my product as soon as it is released to the app store / google play.

I am working with a few others on the project, despite the recommendation that I work alone from MFL. I think that it could backfire, but it makes things more fun, and also one of the other programmers I am working with is very good at Flutter. He will definitely speed things up and is already almost done with making our backend.

I also hope to be good enough at Flutter to make mobile apps really fast in the future, which could generate other business ventures quickly. I am nervous about my app failing since it will depend heavily on users, but I am hoping for the best.
Hey, good luck with your app. Please, let us know how you found Flutter once you are done with the app.

I had a look at Flutter when it was still in beta a few months ago, and looked amazing. I just had a look this morning again (long story), and I think it's still missing integration with the usual crash reports systems like Crashlytics (only supports Sentry, meh), so I'm not 100% convinced, although I like it a lot and I'd try it out if I were to build an app for both Android and iOS.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Dart is easy to pick up and Flutter as well. Just hope there aren't any hidden roadblocks.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Don't develop for a few months only to find out no one wants it.
Totally agree. The coding skills you're acquiring to develop the app might be useful, but how much time & energy do you want to pour in without having any validation for your app idea?

So, how can you validate the app--or more precisely, the benefit that the app will provide--while you're building it? Is there a faster way to create an MVP without building a full-on app--like an HTML5-based website that has some of the same benefits? That way you could see if you can get market validation.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018

ManlyMansNegator

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 29, 2018
Australia
Totally agree. The coding skills you're acquiring to develop the app might be useful, but how much time & energy do you want to pour in without having any validation for your app idea?

So, how can you validate the app--or more precisely, the benefit that the app will provide--while you're building it? Is there a faster way to create an MVP without building a full-on app--like an HTML5-based website that has some of the same benefits? That way you could see if you can get market validation.
Maybe market the app on facebook and look for subscriptions. Set a threshold response rate and if it succeeds make the app.

Another way is simply making a dummy app in a few weeks, if it provides value build on that.

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
Hey, good luck with your app. Please, let us know how you found Flutter once you are done with the app.

I really like it so far, it's very fun to code in. It also compiles to iOS and Android pretty darn well given that all my development has been for Android so far. The speed of development is super fast with the extensive widget catalog. Learning it was really simple as well, I mostly just learned by doing.

I agree that validation is important and honestly I have overlooked it. I am thinking about making some surveys that will elicit a response as to whether or not there will be a real need for the app. Right now my thinking was based on multiple people saying this thing I am trying to solve is a problem for them in my sport, which is probably not enough. I have to make a plan of action for this.

Another way is simply making a dummy app in a few weeks, if it provides value build on that.

I agree, we are making this first version have the bare minimum something like this would need to function while looking decent. I am not looking to give it all the bells and whistles right now.

Thanks! I will check this out for sure.

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
I had kind of a crazy day today. My friend put me in contact with a VC who works at Google that is involved in the sport that I am trying to solve a problem for with my app. We had a 45 minute long Google hangouts video conversation. I spoke about the progress we have made so far, pitched my idea and the future revenue models, and gave him a live walkthrough of the app. He said that he personally has the problem that my app is attempting to solve, and is interested in the concept. He also said that he would put me in contact with other people that he knows in the space. This will give me access to a nationwide set of gyms relevant to the sport I am trying to help. These contacts will assist with making my idea a reality through marketing partnerships or whatever else I can figure out. In addition, he said he is interested in investing in the future if the market shows real interest in the app via a user base upon release.

This was my first taste of my app getting an expert source of validation. It isn't the real market validation through user acquisition that I need to fully believe in the concept, but an experts opinion and contacts are worth a lot and I am happy about the potential boost I will get from this. I feel rejuvenated to work harder on this idea, and we are getting closer to the point where we can release this every day. I just added a contact us feature so that feedback can shape the app shortly after its release. I know that I am making some compromises by involving others in the idea, but I feel like the shortcuts are pushing me toward a more usable released product and potential expansion of the app faster.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
I decided to start my own execution thread. I have been working on making a new product to assist with accessibility to training in a sport that I am heavily involved with (I have been consistently doing this sport for 12 years). I don’t think that this product would violate the “don’t do what you love” outlook. The reason for that is because what I love is doing the sport, not selling this kind of product. Although I have really been psyched to contribute to the community around my sport. My idea basically takes a current already existing device and adds new ideas to it, ultimately making a more accessible, portable version. In addition, you could train for a completely different part of the sport that was is currently difficult to train for. I have made a complete 3d version of my design in Rhinoceros, the 3d modeling software.

There is a company already out there doing something similar, but their version has terrible reviews on amazon. People seem to hate it; they sacrificed a lot in their design and it came out to be meh. And I don’t think they are marketing it well either, their website is sub-par.

I have been asking around for advice about the product, thanks @amp0193 and @Walter Hay . I am deciding between which materials to use. Perhaps, I can give the customer the choice of materials, wood, high density foam, or maybe plastic if it takes off. Although, this might end up being too complicated. I am going to begin shaping the prototype myself next week. I became a member at a local makerspace. I took a CNC class and now have full access to their machine!

I am going to receive a high density foam sample shipment from Rigid Polyurethane Foam Sheets - High Density Hard Foam Blocks | General Plastics by next week hopefully, as well as test out some wood versions. I’ll be able to begin testing foam and wood to see if the surfaces on my invention have the tensile strength to support the kind of activity I have envisioned for the product.

In addition, I have a few people who have signed on to be a part of the beta testing crew. I wanted to integrate all of their ideas before I got my product up for sale. I am not sure if this is the right way to go about this, or if I should just put it up for sale as soon as possible and let customers tell me what to change about it. Giving a group of people the beta version seems better to me. Ideally, the public version will be better because of the additional opinions I will receive. However, this will take longer. This process is exciting so far.
If you want help to sell it, pm me.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
I had kind of a crazy day today. My friend put me in contact with a VC who works at Google that is involved in the sport that I am trying to solve a problem for with my app. We had a 45 minute long Google hangouts video conversation. I spoke about the progress we have made so far, pitched my idea and the future revenue models, and gave him a live walkthrough of the app. He said that he personally has the problem that my app is attempting to solve, and is interested in the concept. He also said that he would put me in contact with other people that he knows in the space. This will give me access to a nationwide set of gyms relevant to the sport I am trying to help. These contacts will assist with making my idea a reality through marketing partnerships or whatever else I can figure out. In addition, he said he is interested in investing in the future if the market shows real interest in the app via a user base upon release.

This was my first taste of my app getting an expert source of validation. It isn't the real market validation through user acquisition that I need to fully believe in the concept, but an experts opinion and contacts are worth a lot and I am happy about the potential boost I will get from this. I feel rejuvenated to work harder on this idea, and we are getting closer to the point where we can release this every day. I just added a contact us feature so that feedback can shape the app shortly after its release. I know that I am making some compromises by involving others in the idea, but I feel like the shortcuts are pushing me toward a more usable released product and potential expansion of the app faster.
Rockin! What can you do to talk to more prospective users/customers? The faster you talk to more people, the quicker you'll refine your idea. The more validation you get, the more it'll fuel you to take more action.

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
Rockin! What can you do to talk to more prospective users/customers? The faster you talk to more people, the quicker you'll refine your idea. The more validation you get, the more it'll fuel you to take more action.

We are going to write up some surveys to pass out at those gyms. This can give us some details about what specific features people are most interested in when it comes to the app we are making. User acquisition and customer satisfaction are going to become my main goals as soon as the app is released.

People using the app will likely fill out the contact us popup feature with suggestions as to how we can improve, and then I will work to add those suggestions. I think leaving the app free for now is what we need to do so we can expand the user base. This is kind of risky but I don't want to push people away in this stage.

kila5454

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Mar 20, 2018
Bronx, NY
Today was another big step forward for this project. We met with a major player in the industry I am trying to provide this application for. She is the VP of operations for 11 of the gyms that facilitate this sport. I did my best to sell her on the idea and learn what I could from her. It turns out they were heavily invested in a similar application before ours. That gave me confidence because it shows the idea had traction in the past. The founder of the other platform moved on to a different idea, leaving this space open for my team to come in and become the key player. Context switching is not something I plan on unless absolutely necessary.

This VP did not commit to a financial figure or reveal what they paid the other team. She said that if we added value they would pay us. This is likely because we are pre-release and don't have any users yet. But she is passionate about our mission as well and sees value in our system. She said she would put us in touch with the marketing department for the organization, and offered a ton of great suggestions for how we can add value to their organization. We might have them on board as free sponsors. This would give our app a nation wide platform to launch. Potentially, we will have a much more massive user base than we would have had without their brand. I think this is a good way to get to evidence of business viability through a large user base. That proof will make it easier for me to sell this to a hundred other gyms. If this works, we will be generating some major F*ck you income. Once we have a user base present, the value will be far more apparent to gyms we pitch this to. This was a super exciting meeting and that meeting pushed me harder to release this. The biggest challenge will be user acquisition and now we may have major leverage in that respect.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.