The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

FIRE SAFETY FARCE - Why the Blind Die in High Rise Fires

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
The reason why I am posting part of my 3 page investigative article is that I want to raise awareness and also offer free of charge the details of the simple solution that I have invented. Anyone with sufficient interest please let me know. I would like to have a strong assurance that the person is serious about putting the product on the market, and is able to lobby some of the authorities I mention.

I do not want any financial reward, even though solving this problem could prove to be a billion dollar business. I only want safety for the visually impaired in multi story fires.

Walter

Chapter 1. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH LEGISLATION.

This in a nutshell explains why blind or visually impaired people continue to die in multi-story building fires.

A horrifying example can be seen in the case of Elpidio Bonifacio, a partially but legally blind grandfather in his 70s, who was finally rescued from his 11th floor flat hours after the fire took hold in the Grenfell Tower in London. (Daily Mail UK)

The terrified man had no way of finding the exit and frantically waved a shirt out the window of his apartment until he was finally located and brought to safety.

Sadly the problem is much more than failure to comply. It is institutionalized neglect, which I describe as tokenism. The neglect in providing safe multi-story building egress for blind or visually impaired is a worldwide issue, but I deal in detail only with the USA and the UK.

Chapter 2. TOKENISM COSTS LIVES.

Instances of inappropriate suggestions are in italics. It is plain to see that those suggestions are provided merely as token gestures to convey the impression that the authority concerned is offering a solution. Read on and discover that the pretence is blatant.

Chapter 2.1 The situation in the USA.

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that “raised and Brailled characters be placed on exit doors.” No advice is given on how a blind person can find their way to the exit door so that they can read the sign telling them that they have arrived at the exit door.

In the 2018 edition of the NFPA 101 Life Safety Code, Chapter 7 Means of Egress, 7.9 Emergency Lighting, makes no provision for assisting visually impaired people.

Then in 7.10 Marking of Means of Egress, subsection 7.10.1.3 Exit Door Tactile Signage. It states: “Tactile signage shall be provided to meet all the following criteria, unless otherwise provided.”

Then in 7.10.1.4 we read:

(1) “Tactile signage shall be located at each door requiring an exit sign.”

(2) “Tactile signage shall read as follows: EXIT” Such standards are effectively useless because a blind person has first to somehow, perhaps miraculously, reach the exit without aid in order to locate a tactile sign confirming his/her arrival at the exit.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If readers would like to see all three pages I will either add the remainder here or if preferred, send as an attachment via PM on request.

WALTER

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.