The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding The Right Skill to Learn?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jaxsss

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 13, 2021
Hello,

my name is Mark, I've joined this forum about half a year ago, I am very glad that I found TMF , it absolutely changed my mindset and perspective on life.

From childhood, I've always been a careful money saver, before reading TMF , I was settling on a slowlane route - good paying job, investing in stocks, saving money. The idea of being financially free just fascinated me, enjoying life, travelling and affording things, I couldn't afford if I chose slowlane.

I feel like mentally, I have progressed a lot in that half a year, I have different visions, different goals. My day to day life has changed, I'm trying to find problems that need solving, still thinking about business ideas.

My struggle is that I too often change things I want to learn. At the end of 2020 I started learning Python, that's the only thing I have stayed in, I have found a part-time job in company that is connecting solar convertors with solar panels, my job is to write small scripts on Raspberry Pi that operate the convertors. Not a lot of money, certainly not a hard work, I didn't learn much from this, since the scripts are fairly easy to do.

In October, I started learning web design, I was motivated, I learned HTML and CSS, gained experience on how to communicate with potentional buyers, just basic sales skills. I didn't stay in it, I've only created my portfolio website, but I didn't do any cold calls, cold emails, I quickly lost interest in making websites.

I've had some ideas, that I even posted on this forum, but right now in my current situation - not possible. Those ideas were really hard to execute with so little money that I have right now.

About two months ago an idea came to my mind, I was searching the web for some work opportunities, I stumbled upon a site, that had list of jobs in startup companies. I thought that it could help me if I see the processes in a startup, how it works, what I should be careful about, overall just gain information, that I could later use for myself.

I've had several interviews for Python developer, after these I realized, that I am just a f*ing beginner in a developer world. I know it requires time to learn libraries and technologies like Pandas, Numpy, Django etc., but the same thing happened, I don't know if I ever want to be a developer.

I am aware, that if I ever want to be successful, I need to be very good at that certain thing/skill. I just don't know what skill I should learn, that won't suck life out of me and could potentially help people, with the possibility to build a business around it.

I really like cars, my strongest motivation is owning a Mercedes-Benz C63. I was also thinking about some car business, so I would be in touch with interesting cars daily, but again, I lack ideas and with my current occupation, many things are not possible to start.

I'm graduating High school this year, I had problems deciding if I wanted to go to University, the feeling of getting paid every month at least $1000 really distracted me, I realized that I won't be as free as I am currently.

I chose Economics and Management as my field on University, those skills certainly might be very beneficial for later, but the main thing why I would go to university is just getting a degree, so I have a backup plan if my entrepreneur route goes wrong. Here in Czechia, in some jobs, they only look if the person has a degree, and don't look that much into skills and experience.

I know this sounds like a big excuse, but I am really lost right now.

I'll be grateful for any advice, it's a really big opportunity to be here on this forum, with a lot of successful and experienced entrepreneurs, that take their valuable time and help others. Thanks MJ.

- Mark

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Welcome Mark! I've never been, but heard great things about the Czech Republic.
really like cars, my strongest motivation is owning a Mercedes-Benz C63
Excellent choice, I also want one of those bad boys.

If you were to go into cars, what sort of stuff would you be doing? Car parts, mechanic work, flipping cars?

From where I'm standing, you may have a better chance of solving a need going the programming route as opposed to the car route.

What is the relative value of an Economics & Management degree on the job market in your country? Is there demand for it's graduates?

MJ has a chapter in TGREE on this, "The Hot Stove Principle".

I started re-learning programming at the end of 2020 as well. It was listening to MJ that made me stop the Internet Marketing crap and try and actually add value. I've taught myself Web Programming (MEAN Stack) the past year and I am currently building some web apps.

I'd recommend this excellent podcast that MJ did with Bulldog Mindset. I think you may find it very specific to you as John Somnez is a former software developer. This was the podcast that made me decide to go the programming route.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ6bC10IuFM&t=7s

Jaxsss

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 13, 2021
Thank you for your message Mathuin!
If you were to go into cars, what sort of stuff would you be doing? Car parts, mechanic work?
I thought about owning maybe a luxury car rental company, but that's a pretty much very high goal to achieve, there are easier routes, like detailing cars. One day I've detailed my and dad's car, for the first time it really took my attention and I enjoyed it, it was satisfying, but when I was doing it second or third time, the enjoynment dissapeared.

I've had a part-time job with my friend at Czech Post, when there was census in Czechia. I was basically just counting houses if they exist, and if someone hasn't counted, I gave them a form to count themselves. It was around March in a mountain area, so there was a lot of snow. We both had VW Caddy 4x4 and it was the best feeling just doing rally in the forest, since there wasn't a lot of work to do, so we enjoyed it a lot. I've had a decent hourly wage for a student. It's safe to say, it was the best part-time job I had in my life :smile:
What is the relative value of an Economics & Management degree on the job market in your country? Is there demand for it's graduates?
Typical work opportunities for graduate are HR manager, CEO assistant, tax advisor etc. But there are a lot of jobs in different fields that just require to have a degree, for example I still could be a developer with a degree from Economics and Management. It's a basic degree for a lot of people who just don't know what to choose after High school.
I'd recommend this excellent podcast that MJ did with Bulldog Mindset. I think you may find it very specific to you as John Somnez is a former software developer. This was the podcast that made me decide to go the programming route.
Thank you for the recommendation, will surely watch it.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Ok, is University in your country free?

I guess there isn't much downside. Especially compared to the U.S.

Like MJ says, quitting high shcool/ university to start a business is an event. Starting a profitable business is a process.

Seems like little downside to going to uni whilst starting a business on the side. Quit if your business makes you quit and is earning a lot compared to a job you would get post-graduation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jaxsss

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 13, 2021
Ok, is University in your country free?
Yeah, it's totally free, there is just a small fee ($10) for signing up to the uni.

I'll see what future would bring me, I will always have that chance to quit if my entrepreneurship become succesful, but for now, it's somewhat a great opportunity to meet new people, that might have the same mindset as I have, and of course learn new things.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.