The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finally Made A Plan

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I want to know about any more updates!!!!

Thanks for the bump, forgot about this.

Last month was my best month. I netted over $200. Clearly off my target. The time involved and the learning curve were/are greater than I thought.

Some stuff I am stumbling on by accident and then trying to figure out what it was that worked. Other stuff I think will work, and then it never does.

One anomaly that I have noticed but not figured out yet is on my organic google results. After 1.5 weeks of doing nothing last month (personal schedule issues), I checked and found my organic results for my main site had dropped to 7. The next day, still having done nothing, my organic traffic quadrupled. I cannot figure out why this took place. All I did was check my serps.

So all that to say, progress is being made. Still much work to do, and I am still enjoying it greatly. Every so often I need to purge myself of distracting ideas which creep into my head and steal my focus.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Thanks for the update. I, too, am getting into affiliate marketing and found this thread intriguing. Are you making money off sites you thought you wouldn't be able? What discourages you about the process and what encourages you? I would bet that profiting 200 dollars would be a good motivator, even if it isn't much. To create money from your own work is priceless.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Another thread for the progress forum.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Another thread for the progress forum.

Agreed, also if my name could be attached to the title, it seems fitting.

Thanks for the update. I, too, am getting into affiliate marketing and found this thread intriguing. 1. Are you making money off sites you thought you wouldn't be able? 2. What discourages you about the process and 3. what encourages you? 4. I would bet that profiting 200 dollars would be a good motivator, even if it isn't much. To create money from your own work is priceless.

I numbered your questions to more easily answer.

1. No, I have not tackled any niches bigger than what I think I can own easily.

2. what discourages me is me. Right now I feel stuck on one niche and feel like I cannot move on to the next one because work still needs done on this one. So then I get frustrated with myself and demotivate myself. Vicious circle.

Also, the unknown does a bit. For example. My webmaster tools shows me ranking 10 for a certain keyword. When I am logged into google, I see this is the case. However, when I log out of google, the result is closer to 20. So how do I know where I really am? Then I get all caught up in wasting time trying to figure this out instead of moving forward.

3. Mini success steps encourage me. When I started, one site kept beating me on my main keyword. I had more backlinks, I had more age,(one month) yet he kept beating me. Past month or two, I have been beating him, plus I moved past the next one. That feels good.

Another encouragement will be me ordering my wife a breadmaker paid for by the sites. That was one of my first goals. I am actually ordering it tonight. This will also allow me to build my site deeper with some video reviews.

4. actually no, not to sound arrogant, but the bigger motivator is the knowledge. My desire is to learn this and have fun doing this. The money is secondary, though a good measure of how well I am learning.

I am but an infant in this, but anything I can pass on I will be happy to.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
I am very happy for you Kurtyordy. I just want to say again that this thread has given me inspiration to move forward. I don't really know why that is. Perhaps that it's because you are in a similar situation (work, family) and are seeing results.

But also because I believe in the concept of affiliate marketing. I've always been into sales and the internet is another medium.

Anywany, I've picked out my niche, bought the domain which is keyword oriented, set up my wordpress blog and have started to build my keyword list. I've also started to collect data on other sites such as forums and such.

Anyway, I could go on, but please keep updating this site. I'd subscribe to you blog but the RSS feed doesn't work for me....

So good work man and don't stop the good fight. Document every thing that you do and build processes, not more work. Think scalable.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
ok, I am loving the Christmas season. It is so obvious, but for some reason it did not click for me before I saw it happening, but Christmas is huge for my affiliate marketing biz. Instead of folks just buying one item, they are doing their Christmas shopping. It is awesome.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Nice! Let us know what the landscape looks like for you once the dust settles.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
ok, long overdue for an update. I have been pleasantly surprised that Jan and Feb have each earned twice my prechristmas months. I believe this is due to going from ranking 7-8 on my keywords to ranking 2-4.

New niches are coming more slowly than I had intended. I starting getting lazy and trying to automate everything which was having a direct impact on my efforts. This week I knuckled down again and went back to the basics I applied when I started out the breadmaker site. Need to keep pushing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I starting getting lazy and trying to automate everything which was having a direct impact on my efforts.

Sounds like an after-effect of reading the 4HWW. Sadly, 4-hour workweeks don't sprout from 4 hour workweeks if you know what I mean. Thx for the update :smxB:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
When i got into automation, i didnt do it to relieve time working, i got into it to maximize the time i was working. I could multithread the worktime and do several things at once. Big difference in the reasons you do it. But keep on chuggin dude!

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Sounds like an after-effect of reading the 4HWW. Sadly, 4-hour workweeks don't sprout from 4 hour workweeks if you know what I mean. Thx for the update :smxB:

lol, no though looking back I see it. Ferriss makes good points but I am not there yet mentally.

When i got into automation, i didnt do it to relieve time working, i got into it to maximize the time i was working. I could multithread the worktime and do several things at once. Big difference in the reasons you do it. But keep on chuggin dude!

it was all caused by trying to automate what I do not like and focus on what I do which is keyword research and domain buying.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
I figured out my slump problems

Basically aff mark is broken down into three parts. Keep in mind these are very broad categories.

1. keyword research/domain acquiring (I love this part)
2. site building/content creation (hate this part)
3. promotion/link building (like this part)

My problem is I have been attempting to do all three at the same time. My plan for this year called for so many niches added each month, and each time I would then do the promoting.

This lack of singular focus is what is slowing me down. I find myself trying to learn about and do all three aspects at once and I am not accomplishing nearly what I desire.

So last night after my thread in the private section, some of the answers caused me to have an epiphany. No mixed focus no mo!

All 20 niches done by end of month. Outsourcing and investing money in having them built for me quickly. Time to crank this up from the mom and pop operation it has become. Then rest of the year promote and link build.

CMCarlin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 30, 2008
Great job in identifying your 'weak' points! I am very much like you in that I loathe content creating but love hunting down new niche ideas (micro niche finder is fuuunnn).

I've been trying to completely separate my tasks and do them by the day. I.e. one day I will do nothing but article writing etc etc. It's not working out the best right now but that's because I've recently bogged myself down attempting to build an access database that I *think* will help pay off in smoothing out my workflow when I have LOTS of sites (I have about 20 as of now).

Phil

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Apr 13, 2008
U.K
I just wanted to say how great I'm finding this thread. I enjoy reading about your progress and admire you for taking action - I've got a lot out of reading it already and I wish you all the best for the future.

I understand that your entire revenue is generated by affiliate marketing but have you ever thought about approaching businesses who sell products relevant to your blog's niches and sell advertising space to them - i.e banners or perhaps advertorial contenet.

I'm interested to know what you think

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.