The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feeling nervous....but I gotta push through anyway.

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

sigmapreneur

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 11, 2020
After reading through the posts on here feeling confused about what actions I need to take, I realize that finding clients is much more important than trying to perfect and master the technical side of web design. So I'm trying to apply what I've learned from @Fox's ebook by starting with people I already know and businesses I already use. So I'll talk to the owner of my local gym. I'm already cool with the guy and he would give me little tips here and there to improve my workouts.

I've been feeling nervous and anxious because I don't know what questions I need to ask him and if they are the right questions. I'm also anxious because I have no income coming in, overdue bills so I'm really feeling the pressure. I acknowledge I'm at fault for allowing myself to be in this position. But maybe this was the fire I needed lit to move forward.

So that's it. I'm nervous because this is my first time doing all of this. Wish me luck. I'll make a progress thread out of this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
It is so perfectly normal to feel anxious and nervous. We are all human. Being a business owner is not for everyone. If you push through those feelings and jump in, it might be for you. If you don't, well you know the answer. All I can say, it is not going any easier if you delay this.

Go do it and see what happens, so what if you can't find the right questions to ask? You will get better each time, I can promise you that. Good luck! :smile2:

sigmapreneur

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 11, 2020
It is so perfectly normal to feel anxious and nervous. We are all human. Being a business owner is not for everyone. If you push through those feelings and jump in, it might be for you. If you don't, well you know the answer. All I can say, it is not going any easier if you delay this.

Go do it and see what happens, so what if you can't find the right questions to ask? You will get better each time, I can promise you that. Good luck! :smile2:
You're absolutely right. I delayed for too long and well.....you know the Nike slogan.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
May 23, 2011
Good luck!

When I made my first website, I didn't have much clue what I was doing.

It was still a nice looking website, and good enough for the business it was made for.
They just needed a basic online presentation.

With each next website, I got better at everything: making websites, talking to business owners, setting expectations, pricing.

And actually, pricing was the last thing I figured, took me too long to understand the value of my work and dare asking
a realistic price. I was fully thinking the prospect will turn me down. Once I sent the quote, I was very upset at myself.

Thinking "I lost a perfectly fine job opportunity", but at the same time "F**k, can't work for nothing anymore".

Their response? "Ok, let's start."

And some of these websites I made starting out are still online, working perfectly fine.
And I'm sure the same will go for your websites.

Your work has value, and serious business owners are fine with paying for a website.
Whatever may be good money for you right now, will probably look like a great deal from their point of view too.
A win-win.

I read @Fox 's book too, and just by reading it - you're way ahead of many even experienced web designers, in terms of understanding business owners, what to ask, and how to provide value.

Nervousness...it's a feeling. It's ok to feel it.
I was nervous too.

Over time, as you become more confident and competent, it will start turning into excitement.

So, once again - best of luck on your path to fastlane:)

sigmapreneur

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 11, 2020
Good luck!

When I made my first website, I didn't have much clue what I was doing.

It was still a nice looking website, and good enough for the business it was made for.
They just needed a basic online presentation.

With each next website, I got better at everything: making websites, talking to business owners, setting expectations, pricing.

And actually, pricing was the last thing I figured, took me too long to understand the value of my work and dare asking
a realistic price. I was fully thinking the prospect will turn me down. Once I sent the quote, I was very upset at myself.

Thinking "I lost a perfectly fine job opportunity", but at the same time "F**k, can't work for nothing anymore".

Their response? "Ok, let's start."

And some of these websites I made starting out are still online, working perfectly fine.
And I'm sure the same will go for your websites.

Your work has value, and serious business owners are fine with paying for a website.
Whatever may be good money for you right now, will probably look like a great deal from their point of view too.
A win-win.

I read @Fox 's book too, and just by reading it - you're way ahead of many even experienced web designers, in terms of understanding business owners, what to ask, and how to provide value.

Nervousness...it's a feeling. It's ok to feel it.
I was nervous too.

Over time, as you become more confident and competent, it will start turning into excitement.

So, once again - best of luck on your path to fastlane:)
Thanks for the kind words. I have no doubt I’ll get good at this in no time. It’s getting over that first hurdle of having a “sales meeting” with a business owner and whether they’ll accept the offer.

I’m fighting against my need for things to be perfect. And on top of that, the pressure of being broke isn’t helping either.

That’s great things went well for you starting out.

I guess the fear is a good thing. It means I need to start going for it.

Henderson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jun 29, 2022
Thanks for sharing your journey, matey! What platform are you using to build the site(s)? I am looking at web flow and found it super easy and intuitive.

sigmapreneur

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 11, 2020
Thanks for sharing your journey, matey! What platform are you using to build the site(s)? I am looking at web flow and found it super easy and intuitive.
I used Snapps to build my lead gen site. I gonna switch over to html and master that.

sigmapreneur

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 11, 2020
I just met with the gym owner a little while ago. Told me he couldn't jump on board because of loyalty reasons, whatever that means. I'll take the soft rejection over a harsh one any day. He did say he'll let me know if someone needs help with building a website. At least I took meaningful action today. Can't help but worry over my finances though.

I'm gonna try cold calling businesses next.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Jan 18, 2022
I just met with the gym owner a little while ago. Told me he couldn't jump on board because of loyalty reasons, whatever that means. I'll take the soft rejection over a harsh one any day. He did say he'll let me know if someone needs help with building a website. At least I took meaningful action today. Can't help but worry over my finances though.

I'm gonna try cold calling businesses next.
Try finding local businesses - usually mum and pop shops - that have yet to create an online presence (or their website was made in 2001). The clients will be low-paying but it'll help with your current financial situation. You'll also be building up some experience, which in turn, will cause you to build up some confidence.

sigmapreneur

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 11, 2020
Try finding local businesses - usually mum and pop shops - that have yet to create an online presence (or their website was made in 2001). The clients will be low-paying but it'll help with your current financial situation. You'll also be building up some experience, which in turn, will cause you to build up some confidence.
Low paying is fine. $500-$1k per website would be a good start. The problem finding these local businesses.

How do you find local businesses in your area?

sigmapreneur

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 11, 2020
This morning, I put the word out to a facebook group I joined for entrepreneurs in my city that I'm looking for new clients they could send my way. Only received a like so far but let's see.

I also called up a local digital marketing agency and spoke with the manager about his agency sending me some clients. I've been booked for a webinar meeting this coming Monday. Seems I'm on the right track.

DarkKnight

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 3, 2020
Thanks for the kind words. I have no doubt I’ll get good at this in no time. It’s getting over that first hurdle of having a “sales meeting” with a business owner and whether they’ll accept the offer.

I’m fighting against my need for things to be perfect. And on top of that, the pressure of being broke isn’t helping either.

That’s great things went well for you starting out.

I guess the fear is a good thing. It means I need to start going for it.
The alternate to fear is courage.
Do an exercise: Sit down with a pad and a pen. Imagine the situation you have to go through, play it in your imagination. Then when you feel afraid, feel the fear. Write down 1 page on what fear feels like. Just fear. Describe the feeling in words as you carefully observe it.

Post the results of the exercise here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.