The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feedback regarding my little project.

Tom Paul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 11, 2017
London
Hi everyone!

For the past couple of months I've been building a site with a goal to connect users with local market professionals (teachers, plumbers, people looking to expand their business)

I'm not quite ready to go live yet and further development makes no sense unless there is some market interest. Before I even start advertising I was wondering if you could give me some feedback regarding my little project?

https://cloudtasker.co

A few basic questions:

1. Is the current site and associated description confusing ?
2. Do you trust this ?
3. Would that be useful?

I don't want to mislead anyone and definitely not looking for trouble.

Apologies if that's the wrong place.

Many thanks,
TP

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The most important piece of real estate is just a picture of two people at a table.

That doesn't give anyone any idea what you do.

Because of that oddity, I'm not sure if it loaded correctly.

You have 3 seconds to make an impact. People won't scroll to find the impact.

Apologies if that's the wrong place.

Nope, you posted in the right place! Hopefully some others will chime in and welcome to the forum!

AfterWind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 23, 2017
Romania
Hmm, I don't see any Wordpress. Are you making your own website from the ground up?
Being mostly a programmer I'll help with the following advice. Add this CSS to your header tag since it doesn't show properly on larger displays, or even smaller ones:

background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-size: cover;

Aside from what MJ said, the website looks very generic, I would try to make some parts of it stand out and tell the viewer what value you're offering (in the top bar or in the middle of that image).

Tom Paul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 11, 2017
London
Hmm, I don't see any Wordpress. Are you making your own website from the ground up?

Yes, I'm a backend engineer by day and wanted to learn some front-end technologies. I decided to build something with angular2 and completely ignored any existing providers like wordpress. It was quite a lot of fun and I learnt a lot.

Thank you for the valuable comments.

TP

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bitwise

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Dec 12, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I think your idea may be a good one and I think establishing a webpage like you've done to get feedback is absolutely the way to go.

Yes, I'm a backend engineer by day and wanted to learn some front-end technologies. I decided to build something with angular2 and completely ignored any existing providers like wordpress. It was quite a lot of fun and I learnt a lot.

Thank you for the valuable comments.

TP

I empathize with wanting to learn new technologies, but if your goal is to make something that works, get out of your own way and use a professional template for your landing page. I'm as geeky as they come, but I'm a huge fan of paying Squarespace for this sort of thing because I can't do it as well as they can and I feel my time is better spent doing things I can't just buy.

I went through your wizard for mounting a TV. Lots of questions. When I got to the end I couldn't proceed because the drop down didn't have my town in it. No matter what I typed in I couldn't advance.

My advice is to think of the "web site" and "web application" as two different things. Use a professional template for the website, maybe with a service that makes optimization and A/B testing easy. Make it ridiculously easy for people to sign up. Ask right on the front page - don't make them click or answer anything. Once they are signed up, hit them with whatever wizards you want, funnel them into a web application, etc.

Tom Paul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 11, 2017
London
I think your idea may be a good one and I think establishing a webpage like you've done to get feedback is absolutely the way to go.

Thanks. I still have to think about how to exactly execute this idea without blindly spending money on ads and spamming forums. I have a typical chicken and egg problem for a web-application that aims to become matchmaker between two different groups of people.

Each project-category has a few questions such that whoever is on the other side (handyman, cleaner etc) knows much better what the job involves and can ignore leads that are irrelevant to him / her. If this idea ever gets any traction I will be more than happy to spend money on a professional UX design.
My goal is to provide a solid experience and customer service.

I should have mentioned that the only reason why you couldn't advance on the 'TV mounting' project is because I'm targeting UK market only so, possible locations are london, birmingham etc... This has been done to keep things simple. It is so easy to over-engineer a simple idea like this.

There is loads of bugs and part of functionality has been switched off. I had to say stop at some point and ask for feedback otherwise I would be sitting in my bedroom trying to make this web-application absolutely perfect. We all know what's not the way to go.

I'll try to enhance a few things. Perhaps I should get in touch with a few freelancers online and ask them for feedback.

Well that was a valuable lesson :)

Thank you very much
TP

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!