The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Feedback on marketing high-tech agricultural product

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

jdm667

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
This might be a longshot, but I figure it might be helpful to you.

If your product is good, and you're willing to take on all the risk, is there perhaps a change of business model that could potentially be more viable for your customers?

There is a beautiful article and podcast by Peter Diamandis where he goes deeper into how not only innovation in products and services, but in business models, can have the greatest impact in your own company. Here is the article and podcast.

As an example, one company that I've been studying is Enexor. They have created a system which can organic or plastic waste into renewable energy, and feed it to a microgrid.

But since this is new technology, and there are costs involved in installing a system, they have created an "Energy-as-a-Service" model.

Here is an excerpt from their website: "Enexor partners with you to reduce your energy and waste disposal costs with minimal capital outlay. Unlike the majority of other variable energy solutions such as solar and wind, we will install our systems at your facility, using our Energy-as-a-Service ("EaaS") partnership contract structure. Without the need for large capital expenditures, you only pay for the power and thermal energy generated."

How could this be appliable to you? Is there a way that you can reliably eat up the risk (without putting yourself in danger), where it would make it a no-brainer for your clients and you could perhaps make even more money in the longterm? Can the output of your product be quantifiable?

Maybe it can't, not every business model works for every product, but then again - maybe it can.
Interesting idea @Tiago - and it just gave me another one. What about Data as a Service for lead gen purposes (and possibly extra revenue), with the water monitor as the end game?

Use the NOAA drought database, together with information on crop market prices, water needs, water costs, etc. to figure out what crops would be profitable. For anything that is borderline profitable, you could "push it over the edge" with the water monitoring system.

There is a Data as a Service thread on the forum here:

Tiago

Silver Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Mar 22, 2014
Interesting idea @Tiago - and it just gave me another one. What about Data as a Service for lead gen purposes (and possibly extra revenue), with the water monitor as the end game?

Use the NOAA drought database, together with information on crop market prices, water needs, water costs, etc. to figure out what crops would be profitable. For anything that is borderline profitable, you could "push it over the edge" with the water monitoring system.

Yeah, find a way to test it quick and see how the market responds. Glad that it sparked some new ideas.

mikemike

New Contributor
Oct 24, 2017
California

Interesting idea - the main issue is that water is exceedingly cheap for most growers. They get water allocations based on their water rights and regulations and cannot 'buy' more water than they're allocated. Thus, saving water costs isn't a driver of sales.

mikemike

New Contributor
Oct 24, 2017
California
Just to share my latest marketing effort - looking to make some funny meme-like images to share on social media. Take a look.

Attachments

• Hard work FloraPulse - vs bomb.png
    Hard work FloraPulse - vs bomb.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Yo! In 24 hours my Udemy courses go bye bye.. (for real this time) Gotta make way for...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Hi Guys! Just wanted to chime in and say that I am a part of Fox's Web School program. Though I...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Any update? Hey bud! When I can squeeze out the time to work, it's been going pretty well...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
MARKETPLACE Entrepreneur's Toolbox: Company Formation, Virtual Mailbox, Registered Agent, Remote Online Notary
Appreciating the transparency and lack of hidden fees. The website is very up-front and user...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom