The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feedback on Landing Page/MVP

Mercutio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 22, 2018
Vienna
Hello Fastlaners,

I have had an idea about an information service/product for several years and it's hunting me to this day. Back then, I felt that I just didn't have enough knowledge and I couldn't get my head around it.

I followed some advice of “Running Lean” by Ash Maurya and did some interviews in my circle, but I don't think that the data was significant enough.

The problem:

Well, if you are interested in many different sports, like myself, it's difficult to get an overview of everything interesting. You browse the internet, newspaper or teletext. In doing so, you lose a lot of time and it's really annoying, because you get bombarded with information that you actually don't want. This adds up if you do it on daily bases.

The existing “solutions”: (Calendar Apps, Information Websites)

I analysed the existing solutions, which are really bad in many aspects. They still get a considerable amount of traffic and downloads. Even if the other services are for free, I still think people are willing to pay as long as the quality is good enough.

My solution:

My solution is as “simple” as it gets. A “better version” of something that already exists in a way. It should be so much better that people are willing to pay for it.

That's what I'm trying to figure out now and also hope for your genuine feedback.

Link to the Landing Page > Home - Online Sports Calendar

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Sounds like a good idea if you are a sports fan. Personally I only follow a couple of sports and (apart from the 6 Nations) don't watch much if any but I could see the usefulness of it.

Healthfulness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Oct 7, 2018
Denmark
Not sure about the idea, but go on fiverr.com and hire someone to redesign the site. I did that and the result exceeded my expectations 10 times alteast. I paid 100$ for more complex project, so your's could work with 50$. It's really worth it and neccessary in this case.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Hello Fastlaners,

I have had an idea about an information service/product for several years and it's hunting me to this day. Back then, I felt that I just didn't have enough knowledge and I couldn't get my head around it.

I followed some advice of “Running Lean” by Ash Maurya and did some interviews in my circle, but I don't think that the data was significant enough.

The problem:

Well, if you are interested in many different sports, like myself, it's difficult to get an overview of everything interesting. You browse the internet, newspaper or teletext. In doing so, you lose a lot of time and it's really annoying, because you get bombarded with information that you actually don't want. This adds up if you do it on daily bases.

I analysed the existing solutions, which are really bad in many aspects. They still get a considerable amount of traffic and downloads. Even if the other services are for free, I still think people are willing to pay as long as the quality is good enough.

My solution:

My solution is as “simple” as it gets. A “better version” of something that already exists in a way. It should be so much better that people are willing to pay for it.

That's what I'm trying to figure out now and also hope for your genuine feedback.

Interesting idea. As a huge sports fan myself and someone who used to live of sportsbetting for a short period of time, the idea of having everything in one place has always been important for me.

I am not exactly sure I totally understand the whole concept though. If I subscribe to 5 sports - what will I get exactly? Will I get a calendar of all the matches taking place within these sports, and will I also get the related news and which channel broadcasts these sports?

For many years I have used a website/app called Flashscore. It is so easy, simple and free to use and get an overview over all sports that you want. You can even pick your favorite leagues to follow and teams aswell. You might have heard about it before. How are you planning to differentiate yourself from that?

Sports is a huge market, and I believe that you definately have potential in succeeding. I would say that I am your target customer. However, right at this moment I just cannot see how you will convince me to pay 10 dollars a month, for something I get for free through the very helpful website/app of Flashscore. What will be my benefit of using your website compared to that?

Also, I think that maybe you should not focus broadly on sportsfans, but maybe niche it down to the betting community. It is still huge, and from my experience it was very difficult to keep track of all events/livescore/news etc. This was many years ago now, and now it seems much easier to get the information.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey. You are already a step ahead as you are taking action and actually have created an MVP! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. Sports and sportsbetting have been a huge part of my life beforehand - and even though I do not really bet anymore, I still remember the struggles of information searching and always have the need to be updated on the most important news.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
The blue silhouettes on your main banner are blurry.
Change Helvetica for another font. Google Fonts
I'd suggest Roboto if you want to stay in the same type of font. Take a look at Open Sans.

Online-Sports-Calendar.jpg

This was made on Paint (or something similar) and people will notice. I know it's only an MVP, but spend a few bucks to get a decent visual.

Work on the colors. Decide a palette and stick to it.
upload_2018-12-12_7-45-22.png

Not sure if this yellow fits with all the blue and green, for example.

All in all, props to you for taking a step forward. There's still work to do, keep going !

Mercutio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 22, 2018
Vienna
Not sure about the idea, but go on fiverr.com and hire someone to redesign the site. I did that and the result exceeded my expectations 10 times alteast. I paid 100$ for more complex project, so your's could work with 50$. It's really worth it and neccessary in this case.

Thanks for your reply @Healthfulness

Does the Landing Page seem unprofessional to you?

Healthfulness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Oct 7, 2018
Denmark
Thanks for your reply @Healthfulness

Does the Landing Page seem unprofessional to you?
Sorry, but yeah, kinda, it's basic and doesn't look modern and exciting. Nowadays that won't work too well. I also had somewhat self-made page, but design wasn't perfect, 50$ for fiverr guy and request "make it look nice" did wonders, difference is amazing. It's really not that big of an investment and will make huge difference (ask to use divi theme).

Mercutio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 22, 2018
Vienna
Interesting idea. As a huge sports fan myself and someone who used to live of sportsbetting for a short period of time, the idea of having everything in one place has always been important for me.

I am not exactly sure I totally understand the whole concept though. If I subscribe to 5 sports - what will I get exactly? Will I get a calendar of all the matches taking place within these sports, and will I also get the related news and which channel broadcasts these sports?

For many years I have used a website/app called Flashscore. It is so easy, simple and free to use and get an overview over all sports that you want. You can even pick your favorite leagues to follow and teams aswell. You might have heard about it before. How are you planning to differentiate yourself from that?

Sports is a huge market, and I believe that you definately have potential in succeeding. I would say that I am your target customer. However, right at this moment I just cannot see how you will convince me to pay 10 dollars a month, for something I get for free through the very helpful website/app of Flashscore. What will be my benefit of using your website compared to that?

Also, I think that maybe you should not focus broadly on sportsfans, but maybe niche it down to the betting community. It is still huge, and from my experience it was very difficult to keep track of all events/livescore/news etc. This was many years ago now, and now it seems much easier to get the information.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey. You are already a step ahead as you are taking action and actually have created an MVP! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. Sports and sportsbetting have been a huge part of my life beforehand - and even though I do not really bet anymore, I still remember the struggles of information searching and always have the need to be updated on the most important news.

Thanks for your in-depth feedback @Chapas

The core concept was to provide a clean UI and overview of everything relevant to yourself. Like a filter.

I'm not sure about many features and I wanted to build up the idea as the User/Early Adopter feedback comes.

So, if you subscribe to a sport, for example Football, you get every league and all nations. In the beginning I would stick to the main leagues and continuously add more as people demand it. On your personal calendar will only be shown what team you choose.

Let's say Manchester United.

- Results, Channels (how/where to watch it from your location), News (list most relevant news from google), Alerts (eg. starts in 10 minutes), Highlights (link to relevant site) and Tickets (where to buy).

General information > link to specific information

I know Flashscore and there is no calendar UI. And it's built/luring to bet. That's not a bad thing, but I would like provide a great UI which makes everything easier to follow.

The next closest app/product to my idea would be this:

MyCal Sports https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mappstreet.mycalsports&hl=en

+ over 1 million downloads

- poor design
- unprofessional
- annoying pop-ups
- not related advertisement
- only 10 different sports
- horrible user experience
- opens 3rd party websites
- inaccurate and poor calendar data

I also noticed that Flashscore has inaccurate data about boxing for example. Many important fights aren't even shown there which is huge for me and makes the whole thing useless. Why add the sport if you then don't provide the important data?

Other examples:

Sports Calendar (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unnamedapps.sportscalendar)

+ 4,4 in reviews

- poor design
- old data
- upfront costs

All Sport DB (AllSportDB - Sports Calendar And Event Database)
and topendsports (Major Events in the World of Sport)

+ search results in Google

- poor design
- outdated website
- bad overview
- no customization possibilities
- slow website
- events are too generalized

Monetization Issue

I am also not sure about the monetization. If you tell me that you won't pay 10€ a month to access everything then I either can't communicate the value or there is no value you are willing to pay for.

I think about it and analyse again. Maybe a Freemium with limited features and ads. Example Spotify.

Your comment got me thinking deeply. I really appreciate it. I try to understand and learn what people think to get in the right direction.

SoftStone

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 15, 2018
Germany
As others have mentioned, the colors and design should be worked on.

Have a look at some modern landing paged and you'll get a hang of how they work. I see some of that in your larger buttons already.

Also, in regards to some of the copy:

"Don't get distracted by unrelated content and finding the right information."

This sounds a bit weird. Like your visitors shouldn't get distracted by finding the information they want.

Something like:

Don't get distracted by unrelated content. Find the information you want with ease!

Seems to work. Shorter sentences. Simple communication.

I'm not a copywriter, so somebody experienced in that realm may be able to give you more detailed feedback.

Best!

Mercutio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 22, 2018
Vienna
The blue silhouettes on your main banner are blurry.
Change Helvetica for another font. Google Fonts
I'd suggest Roboto if you want to stay in the same type of font. Take a look at Open Sans.

Online-Sports-Calendar.jpg

This was made on Paint (or something similar) and people will notice. I know it's only an MVP, but spend a few bucks to get a decent visual.

Work on the colors. Decide a palette and stick to it.
View attachment 22804

Not sure if this yellow fits with all the blue and green, for example.

All in all, props to you for taking a step forward. There's still work to do, keep going !

Thanks for your tips @Jeff Noel

I made it with Photoshop CS6 and scaled the pictures down as I feared it would take to long to load. I try implement your suggestions and get the colours more lined up.

Mercutio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 22, 2018
Vienna
As others have mentioned, the colors and design should be worked on.

Have a look at some modern landing paged and you'll get a hang of how they work. I see some of that in your larger buttons already.

Also, in regards to some of the copy:

"Don't get distracted by unrelated content and finding the right information."

This sounds a bit weird. Like your visitors shouldn't get distracted by finding the information they want.

Something like:

Don't get distracted by unrelated content. Find the information you want with ease!

Seems to work. Shorter sentences. Simple communication.

I'm not a copywriter, so somebody experienced in that realm may be able to give you more detailed feedback.

Best!

@SoftStone

You are right. I change that asap. Thank you for pointing out!

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Oct 5, 2018
Hey Mercurio,
Kudos for coming up with an idea and executing!

Firstly, like others have already said, You need to give some thought to design. Check out some landing pages, which already sell products and adjust accordingly.

After comparing Your page to professional landing pages, You will find out quickly - there are a lot of things You could improve. For example:
  • The picture in top part is low quality. Get a better one. It also distracts from the copy.
  • Speaking of copy. It could be improved a lot. You have listed a lot of features already, but there is a clear lack of focus on benefits.
  • Some of the sentences seem kinda clunky.
  • You could even include a video demonstrating the quality of Your calendar.
  • By adding some fine copywriting to aforementioned video You could have yourself some really powerfull Video Sales Letter.
There is a lot of work to be done, but do not get discouraged.
By the way, if You need FREE help with copywriting stuff shoot me a private message.

Peace!

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Thanks for your in-depth feedback @Chapas

The core concept was to provide a clean UI and overview of everything relevant to yourself. Like a filter.

I'm not sure about many features and I wanted to build up the idea as the User/Early Adopter feedback comes.

So, if you subscribe to a sport, for example Football, you get every league and all nations. In the beginning I would stick to the main leagues and continuously add more as people demand it. On your personal calendar will only be shown what team you choose.

Let's say Manchester United.

- Results, Channels (how/where to watch it from your location), News (list most relevant news from google), Alerts (eg. starts in 10 minutes), Highlights (link to relevant site) and Tickets (where to buy).

General information > link to specific information

I know Flashscore and there is no calendar UI. And it's built/luring to bet. That's not a bad thing, but I would like provide a great UI which makes everything easier to follow.

The next closest app/product to my idea would be this:

MyCal Sports https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mappstreet.mycalsports&hl=en

+ over 1 million downloads

- poor design
- unprofessional
- annoying pop-ups
- not related advertisement
- only 10 different sports
- horrible user experience
- opens 3rd party websites
- inaccurate and poor calendar data

I also noticed that Flashscore has inaccurate data about boxing for example. Many important fights aren't even shown there which is huge for me and makes the whole thing useless. Why add the sport if you then don't provide the important data?

Other examples:

Sports Calendar (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.unnamedapps.sportscalendar)

+ 4,4 in reviews

- poor design
- old data
- upfront costs

All Sport DB (AllSportDB - Sports Calendar And Event Database)
and topendsports (Major Events in the World of Sport)

+ search results in Google

- poor design
- outdated website
- bad overview
- no customization possibilities
- slow website
- events are too generalized

Monetization Issue

I am also not sure about the monetization. If you tell me that you won't pay 10€ a month to access everything then I either can't communicate the value or there is no value you are willing to pay for.

I think about it and analyse again. Maybe a Freemium with limited features and ads. Example Spotify.

Your comment got me thinking deeply. I really appreciate it. I try to understand and learn what people think to get in the right direction.

Always happy to help!

I still like the idea, and I can see from the competitors you listed that you definately have the potential to create an improved product for this market. I believe there is value in what you want to create, but like you mention yourself, the monetization is the difficult part.

I think that the idea about having a Freemium with limited features and ads like Spotify is much better than the current business model you have on the site. This way you can also generate revenue through ads, aswell as for people buying the Premium version. I am definately not an expert in this field, I can just imagine that it will almost always be better to run a Freemium model in the beginning in order to get as many users as possible - and then monitize it. Kind of the same of what Tinder did. I started out using the Freemium, and then after some time I subscribed to what they call Tinder Plus. Used that for almost 2 years, and know a lot of people who upgraded aswell. Met my wife there, so great investment haha!

Let me know what you decide, and feel free to ask for feedback again. I will be following your project. I find it really interesting from as it contains my two passions; sports and entrepreneurship :)

Xaridimos

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 24, 2018
Hello Fastlaners,

The problem:

My solution:

It is not a bad idea at all.

You could certainly benefit from better web design as the other members have pointed. My personal recommendation is to include a video tutorial of some kind, where you navigate through the product. Moreover, you should definitely add product reviews and buyer comments, they will surely improve your landing page. Also, make sure you have included all the popular sports in the premium package, otherwise you risk losing the credibility of your product.

Best of luck!

Mercutio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 22, 2018
Vienna
Hello again,

I updated the Landing Page. I think it's significantly better than the old version, but still some things to improve.

Would be glad for sign ups if you are genuinely interested.

Home - Online Sports Calendar

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Loo
Hello again,

I updated the Landing Page. I think it's significantly better than the old version, but still some things to improve.

Would be glad for sign ups if you are genuinely interested.

Home - Online Sports Calendar

Looks better. Like the "save time" benefit. I can't click on pricing and sign up though. It says page could not be found.

Mercutio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 22, 2018
Vienna
I'm still behind the project. Adjusting and learning. I finally got my first sign ups. Should I actively engage with the people on the list and ask about their problems, motivation, what value they see etc.? So I can learn as early as possible from potential customers. What do you think?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.