The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feedback before I commit $100,000

TadMoore

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 21, 2011
Hi Everyone!

Looking to get some feedback on an idea I have before I commit some serious coin.

I have been sending a survey around to my friends, family, and colleagues but I thought here would be a great place to get some great feedback as well.

I have included a survey, which is 100% anonymous, but if your not comfortable please feel free to leave feedback on the forum.

The most ideal feedback would be a business owner with employees. If you know anyone with employee's, and you could forward it on that would be much appreciated.

Idea & Survey

Thank-you so much!

T

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
Yeah that looks great, JamesF, a member here was actually working on an online scheduling software, you should talk to him too.

I have many employees, our time clock is already integrated into our POS register. In order for most small businesses to switch, you need to add more features and have a good sales team.

for instance, James had a auto-scheduling algorithm built in where it created a schedule based on employee availability. great feature, but I think you need to actually go around and talk to small business owners to get feedback on what their main challenges are with scheduling and create a solution based on that feedback.

TadMoore

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 21, 2011
Thanks so much for your feedback!

I have read all of James F's posts regarding scheduling, and came to the same conclusion that he did. We want to stay away from Scheduling initially because its very difficult beast to master. Everyone has their own way or system, and most are complicated. So there is a lot of resistance to switch because it means managers have to learn new things.

It’s our intention to have the simplest system in the world for tracking employee’s time. (Clock in & Clock out) We want people to be able to set it up in 10 minutes. As people get comfortable they will start using the other features, and then eventually we can talk to our user base about how to properly integrate scheduling. (We want to pick 3-5 big features and do them really, really, really well.)

Our biggest features out of the gate will be the game mechanics, mass centralized communication (You can post messages that every employee is guaranteed to see), and making the punch clock a more fun a useful tool to employees and owners. It’s a little hard to explain, but iPads are fun, we want our software to be fun as well.

I have no intention of hiring a sales person initially..

1. Internet (Adwords, Social, targeted display networks)
2. Word of Mouth. I have experience with press releases and digging up attention.
3. Offering third parties commissions. (Mainly companies currently selling traditional clocks.) I believe my recurring revenue model may be appealing to them. Why sell one punch clock at $1000 and net $500 when you can have $25/month for years.

sk24iam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 22, 2009
Washington DC
Another idea would be to have an employee profile where they can have their cell phone in the database. The software could send reminder of their work schedule on a daily or weekly basis.

Also, maybe some type of feature should be in place to remind employees to punch out before they leave work.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
Thanks so much for your feedback!

I have read all of James F's posts regarding scheduling, and came to the same conclusion that he did. We want to stay away from Scheduling initially because its very difficult beast to master. Everyone has their own way or system, and most are complicated. So there is a lot of resistance to switch because it means managers have to learn new things.

It’s our intention to have the simplest system in the world for tracking employee’s time. (Clock in & Clock out) We want people to be able to set it up in 10 minutes. As people get comfortable they will start using the other features, and then eventually we can talk to our user base about how to properly integrate scheduling. (We want to pick 3-5 big features and do them really, really, really well.)

Our biggest features out of the gate will be the game mechanics, mass centralized communication (You can post messages that every employee is guaranteed to see), and making the punch clock a more fun a useful tool to employees and owners. It’s a little hard to explain, but iPads are fun, we want our software to be fun as well.

I have no intention of hiring a sales person initially..

1. Internet (Adwords, Social, targeted display networks)
2. Word of Mouth. I have experience with press releases and digging up attention.
3. Offering third parties commissions. (Mainly companies currently selling traditional clocks.) I believe my recurring revenue model may be appealing to them. Why sell one punch clock at $1000 and net $500 when you can have $25/month for years.

Sounds good, good luck with your project.

Just my opinion as a retail small business owner: Offline is the best way to reach me. I'm not going to be online clicking on your ads for a time clock, you need to call me multiple times, and come to my store to show me how cool your gadget is before I will consider it - hence, my suggestion of a sales team.. just my 2c.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
284%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It sounds like a fantastic idea. I could see how this would be really useful. I personally don't have a big enough staff for it - but if I did I would buy it. I'll come see you when I can find more staff :)

Ska2free

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 15, 2011
CA
Completed your survey, sounds like a promising idea! Our biggest hurdle would be the whole punching in concept...our employees are highly educated and would be offended. Yeah, we are probably too lax about it, but there's something to be said for a workplace with the honor system. I guess if that was working perfectly though, I wouldn't be following this thread!

Can you come up with a punch clock that feels nothing like a punch clock? A lot of young, white collar employees out there would be chafed less by a popup app on their work computer than by having to punch in like a factory worker.

TadMoore

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 21, 2011
Thanks everyone for your time. (I'm trying to Thank everyone with the forum thank-you's as well)

Ultimately the goal is to evolve the punch clock. I completely agree with you, I wouldn't make my staff "punch" in either. When I researched all the options I wouldn't by a single solution on the market, they are just old... factory worker style like you said. I'm being intentionally vague regarding the gaming mechanics, but thats how we want to make it fun. We want to make the time tracking a nice "side effect" to something bigger.

SHHDlove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
TadMoore,

I love love LOVE this idea for a new system. This would be a great way to upgrade the old Time Clock. A couple of suggestions, though.

1) You shouldn't use an iPad, unless you are able to modify it so that it only uses your software. Owning an iPad, there are a lot of fun toys on it, and you probably don't want your employees playing Angry Birds on the time clock.
2) Kill the game mechanic idea. That's a great, game changing innovation, but as I see it now, you'll have to spend a lot more time making the game mechanic part work, when in actuality, all managers want is a better Time Clock. Solve that problem first, then roll out the game mechanic features once you get some dough rolling.

Besides that, I think you have a great start for a concept here. Keep up the good work!

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
make sure you check out the other ipad apps for employee scheduling to see what you are up against.

I know 'shifty' is one, but i don't think it is as in depth as yours will be.

Good Luck!

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Seems like a reasonable idea... And I have a ton of employees, probably 2 tons but I can't weigh them legally.

As the poster said above, you need an outside sales force showing this door to door..

What are you using the 100k for?

TadMoore

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 21, 2011
TadMoore,

I love love LOVE this idea for a new system. This would be a great way to upgrade the old Time Clock. A couple of suggestions, though.

1) You shouldn't use an iPad, unless you are able to modify it so that it only uses your software. Owning an iPad, there are a lot of fun toys on it, and you probably don't want your employees playing Angry Birds on the time clock.
2) Kill the game mechanic idea. That's a great, game changing innovation, but as I see it now, you'll have to spend a lot more time making the game mechanic part work, when in actuality, all managers want is a better Time Clock. Solve that problem first, then roll out the game mechanic features once you get some dough rolling.

Besides that, I think you have a great start for a concept here. Keep up the good work!

Thanks so much for your feedback.

1) We choose the iPad because Apple products are just awesome they are reliable, apple stands behind their product, and supporting the iPad is easy compared to the 507+ different android tablets on the market. The positives out way the negatives. (Designing our own touch interface and hardware would cost to much and waste to much time) Their are of course negatives, but we feel positives out weigh negatives.

2)Interesting. I agree it will add to the development costs/Time. However the local businesses we are talking to seem to really like that idea best. Example: My friend owns a Merc dealership, he often puts bounties ($500 reward) on cars that he needs to move. He is excited about formalizing that whole process, instead of emails, memo's, etc. I totally agree with you, I'm worried we won't get it right. Tough thing to cut with a lot people excited about it.

TadMoore

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 21, 2011
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

As the poster said above, you need an outside sales force showing this door to door..

Interesting. I'm 25 years old, and I can't stand door to door sales people. If someone comes to my office I have more resistance to what ever their pushing as apposed to the internet.

What are you using the 100k for?

App development & Initial marketing.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Interesting. I'm 25 years old, and I can't stand door to door sales people. If someone comes to my office I have more resistance to what ever their pushing as apposed to the internet.

I'm 29 and can't stand door to door sales people either, but I don't think most business owners would mind a demo for this product since it's unique - you're not selling vacuum cleaners or insurance. Just make sure you bring a live demo unit and cut it short 5 min initial pitch, 15mins max with the demo if interested - then close the deal.

Definitely not a product I would personally be looking to buy online, I'd rather see it in action, have my employees try it out then it's up to you to sell me the product.

JayKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 31, 2011
New York City
I like the idea. It's really more than a way to punch yourself in. I like how creative it is.

To throw something out there to make it easier to punch your time. Probably something you've thought of, but I'll put it out there nonetheless.

Is it possible to use the iPad as a fingerprint scanner? If so, this would perhaps the absolute quickest way for employees to actually punch themselves in. As long as the fingerprint scanner worked well (some are terrible). If it did work, they'd press down, it'd recognize them, and that's all.

Additionally, then no one could punch somebody in for someone else.

You could also just have a "password" keypad like smartphones have on them. Where you just draw your "design ID" because again, this would be quick way to identify yourself.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas

Big problem... You need to change your idea on that..

You are not selling art.. water, sunglasses.. you can save the owner time and money? right? I am never bothered by someone who can save me time and money.

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
If this will be involved with scheduling at all:

Make SURE to make it VERY EASY for employees to check their schedule. Have each employee's schedule posted online somewhere where they can see it, email schedules to employees, text it, whatever you can think of.

Having worked a bullshit job recently, it's annoying as hell to have to call in to get your schedule if you forgot to copy it down or if you didn't work the day the schedule was out. Plus it wastes everybody's time. They sent our schedules to us by email, but I only actually got mine in my email about half the time. Not only that, but sometimes you can copy down your schedule wrong (I did it a couple times).

TadMoore

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 21, 2011
Is it possible to use the iPad as a fingerprint scanner? If so, this would perhaps the absolute quickest way for employees to actually punch themselves in. As long as the fingerprint scanner worked well (some are terrible). If it did work, they'd press down, it'd recognize them, and that's all.

Additionally, then no one could punch somebody in for someone else.

You could also just have a "password" keypad like smartphones have on them. Where you just draw your "design ID" because again, this would be quick way to identify yourself.

Unfortunately, the iPad doesn't have enough computing power for fingerprints... Yet ;)

Buddy Clocking we have a solution for right now. The manager will have the option to set the iPad to take a picture when the person clocks in. So if he suspects something or every once in a while he runs a random buddy clocking test he will see who is cheating.

Love your design ID idea! Thanks!

darkjediii & JackEdwards regarding door to door sales.

I just want to be clear, I completely agree with you that door to door sales can be highly effective. 95% will say no, but their will be that 5% who say yes. Not sure you have read my intro but I'm not starting with nothing from ground zero. If you guys believe the only way I can sell it is walking around town, I don't feel this is fast lane business anymore. Their are over a million monthly searches on google for tracking employee's time, and the CPC is currently hovering around $15 which tells me people are making money in this market via adwords.

I would compare my business idea to grasshopper. Their are literally 1001 different companies you can get a 1-800 number from. I wouldn't buy any of them. They all have their cheesy 90's website with the stock photography of the women in a call centre. Grasshopper comes onto the market add's a slick online interface to easily manage 1-800 numbers, brands it with web 2.0 and advertises it to websites that I frequent. "1-800 numbers for entrepreneurs" Bam!!! You have a multi-million dollar business selling phone numbers... phone numbers... old idea... reinvented.

What am I saying here... (I don't know anymore lol)

1. Isn't walking around town selling something the slow lane?
2. How am I different from the thousands of sales men walking around town selling old school time clocks?
3. How do I evolve this industry by sticking to old school sales techniques? Would grasshopper be where it is with a crappy website, and door to door sales people?

Guys please don't take this the wrong way. I'm not being argumentative or anything just explaining my logic. (Which I understand could be very flawed)

I just thought of this, but I also believe their is a cultural thing going on here. American's love being sold too. When ever I go to America I get a real kick out of it. (Barding at a flee market in palm springs is so much fun!) We Canadians are different crowd! ha ha ha

SHHDlove

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Sep 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I totally agree with you, I'm worried we won't get it right. Tough thing to cut with a lot people excited about it.

Game Mechanics is actually something that is an old idea, but new to business overall. There is actually a company that is just focusing on game mechanics and creating an app using all of them. He had a video on TED. I recommend watching it and reaching out to him if you can. Seth Priebatsch: Building the game layer on top of the world - YouTube

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.