The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Favorite Book of All Time

For any book discussion

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
I think my favourite book is "The Millionaire Fastlane "- MJ DeMarco

Why? As soon as I read the first page of the first chapter regarding the MTV host and the "Bigdaddyhoo" I knew this book was going to be like any other. It was going to be unconventional to any thing read prior and I knew I was going to fall in love with it.

I was curious to know what is your favourite book of all time and why?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
I was curious to know what is your favourite book of all time and why?

That isn't a simple question, As I'm sitting here in my library I just glanced over my bookcase wall. The books that occupy the prominent space on my shelves are from my childhood , they are my entire collection of classic Tintin's by Herge. As a boy I spent four years living in Brussels were I got meet Herge at a local book store for the launch of "flight 714" where he was signing copies. Due to my Dad's job I got to travel to and live in many of the places Tintin visited in his books. LOL I'm drinking my morning coffee out of my Tintin cup....

The next set of books that hold prominence on my shelves are architectural design books, mostly about Bauhaus/Mies van der Rohe, Le Corbusier, and Frank Lloyd Wright. I studied Drafting and architecture after I left the Hospitality industry, I even worked for an architectural firm hand building models, both mock up/working models and fully detailed display models for several years.

I also have my university sociology and psychology text books, some Zig Ziglar books, and a few Tony Robins books. I have numerous French literature, My favourite is Albert Camus, La Peste being my favourite of his, having lived in Algiers some 15 years after the revolution I feel a connection to that book.

There is a collection of graphic novels written by my nefew, Hollywood based a movie on his writtings. There is also the full Harry Potter collection, they are just a fun excape.

Then there is MJ DeMarco's book, it hasn't made it to the shelves yet, I'm not ready to shelve it. I still like to open it to re read sections and make MJ quotes in my note book. It occupies a prominent space on my side table next to my French English dictionaries, and my now empty Tintin cup.
Yes MJ's book does kick one's a$$, and does a number on one's mindset. I'm thankful for that.

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
That isn't a simple question, As I'm sitting here in my library I just glanced over my bookcase wall. The books that occupy the prominent space on my shelves are from my childhood , they are my entire collection of classic Tintin's by Herge. As a boy I spent four years living in Brussels were I got meet Herge at a local book store for the launch of "flight 714" where he was signing copies. Due to my Dad's job I got to travel to and live in many of the places Tintin visited in his books. LOL I'm drinking my morning coffee out of my Tintin cup....

The next set of books that hold prominence on my shelves are architectural design books, mostly about Bauhaus/Mies van der Rohe, Le Corbusier, and Frank Lloyd Wright. I studied Drafting and architecture after I left the Hospitality industry, I even worked for an architectural firm hand building models, both mock up/working models and fully detailed display models for several years.

I also have my university sociology and psychology text books, some Zig Ziglar books, and a few Tony Robins books. I have numerous French literature, My favourite is Albert Camus, La Peste being my favourite of his, having lived in Algiers some 15 years after the revolution I feel a connection to that book.

There is a collection of graphic novels written by my nefew, Hollywood based a movie on his writtings. There is also the full Harry Potter collection, they are just a fun excape.

Then there is MJ DeMarco's book, it hasn't made it to the shelves yet, I'm not ready to shelve it. I still like to open it to re read sections and make MJ quotes in my note book. It occupies a prominent space on my side table next to my French English dictionaries, and my now empty Tintin cup.
Yes MJ's book does kick one's a$$, and does a number on one's mindset. I'm thankful for that.

I always remind my self of the lessons I learned through MJ's book. If I need to relive a moment or a thought process I will always re-open the book to find myself finding new meaning

The purpose of a book to me is to open your mind to possibilities. As an entrepreneur you always have to be curious and always wanting to learn more. It is important to read multiple kinds of books and constantly remind yourself some of the things you have learned. There is without a doubt knowledge is power. When you can take the point of view of others, understand it and create your own perception on it I believe its very powerful.

I am glad to hear this made you think and recap about all the books you have read. That was the purpose of this post. The purpose being for you to look over the books you have read in your life, choose which book was your favourite and say why it was your favourite. I loved your insight and I am a fan of Tony Robbins as well. Who isn't lol?

A

Anon37434

Definitely The Millionaire Fastlane .

I have read 80 books since July (action faking at it's best) and this was the only book that left me thinking days after I had finished it.
There are dozens of really helpful books and you can get valuable information out of them, but you forget the lessons shortly after finishing them.
I remember reading ''Think and Grow Rich.'' I was totally ecstatic, grabbed pen and paper, wrote everything down and spend my whole day crafting the daily reminder. Didn't continue after a few days.

TMF is my favorite book since I can identify with every sentence. The brutal honesty made me realize that the path I was on was wrong. No other book so far has had the same impact.
It's not freaking science or law of attraction. The concepts are simple (not easy) and the book is motivating, inspiring and thought- provoking. It's like a great movie that leaves you thinking months after you saw it.

It's the fastest and best guide to happiness. The book isn't about money, it's about the holy grail of life and all of its beautiful components. Time to listen to the audiobook again!

That said, I hope MJ's next book is better. :)

carlolacson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Mar 17, 2014
Quezon City, Philippines
At first, I thought The Millionaire Fastlane is another MLM gimmick or get rich easy scam books but it turns out to be the greatest book that changed my life.

My path in life would be different if I haven't read it. Thanks MJ.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
The Millionaire Fastlane , my favorite and most helpful book of all so far.

Not to kiss a$$ here, but this book was specific and exactly the answer an entrepreneur needs to setup a business that is setting itself up for long-term exponential success.
After reading countless books on finance(most of which are just wishy washy "save 10% of your income type of books), this one was like having a 1 on 1 discussion with someone willing to share the "secrets" of creating REAL wealth relatively FAST.

Another favorite of mine, which might be a little controversial for this forum perhaps,

The Master Key System

Whether someone believes in The Law of Attraction concept or not, this books gets a person on the right track to how one should think, behave, act, and teaches them to become PROACTIVE rather than REACTIVE to circumstances.
It also goes into a great applicable lessons that you can start from day 1 to rewire your mind, body, and soul to become the type of person who achieves success and can play with the rules of life rather than resist them and live confused

The Da Vinci Method

Great book for the ADHD/ADD folks. Could be a little un relatable, and I'm not exactly positive if people with ADHD are really prone to be more entrepreneurial than normal people, but it helped open my eyes to many of my flaws, weaknesses, and helped me understand why I tend to do the things I do and what to do instead to prevent self sabotage.
I still believe that people without ADHD/ADD can benefit greatly from this book, since I've also noticed many of the neurotic characteristics the author mentions in many of the members still struggling to get their business rolling; could be a coincidence or a bias on my part though.

Great book for the risk taker/entrepreneurial/Fastlane mentality folks.

Conversations with God Series

Highly controversial topics about spirituality, religion, and God; also unrelated to entrepreneurship, but personally it's helped me get closure from many many beliefs which held me back and caused me confusion most of my life. It was eye opening for me, and might be amazing for the spiritual types here, as it could provide some very high level of consciousness answers to some very contradictory beliefs we all hold in our current society.
The reason it helped me and might help many of the spiritual types here is because it helped me to free up my mind from what limiting beliefs and challenged me to consider questioning beliefs about God, religion, etc that I'd been programmed by society to believe.
Again, highly controversial

Man's Search for Meaning

Beautifully written about a guy who survived the Holocaust, really helps you get in perspective of what we take for granted everyday and builds a huge sense of gratitude for the gift of life.
Discusses some very interesting psychological topics which I won't go into here, but I do recommend everyone at least read this book once in their lives.

The Alchemist

The only fiction book I've read outside of school, and very life changing. Anyone who's read this can attest to the magic this book can do on a person, for me personally it changed the entire course of my life and my choices.
Some of the greatest lessons on following your dreams, on sacrifice, and on never choosing mediocrity. Many moments in the book had me bursting with emotions, and I'm sure many Fastlaners can relate to my experiences with The Alchemist

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
TMF for sure. I've read The Four-Hour Work Week, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and am working on Think & Grow Rich. To be honest, most of the subjects in those books can be found in The Millionaire Fastlane . However, I feel @MJ DeMarco did it better. So much more informative, more hands-on. More examples of execution, no filler BS. Not only that, but with the other titles I've read, I can't help but feel something was being left out... With TMF , I felt like everything was put on the table and it STUCK in my head.

I liked The 7 Habits, but only when I was able to find the actual takeaways from the book after reading through countless procrastinating paragraphs. The 4HWW is good, but I feel a lot of the stuff is either outdated and is already the norm, which is my fault for reading it so late. Not to mention there's just something about Tim Ferriss I find hard to buy into (not sure what, exactly).

Honestly, having read TMF, anytime I open a book now I seem to feel the "MJ already covered this--and more thoroughly" effect. Ha.

Can't wait for the next book, MJ!

Aside from business/personal finance/self-help stuff, I've found "Death By Black Hole" by Neil DeGrasse Tyson really good for those who desire an understanding of the mysteries of the cosmos. Not something business/entrepreneur related, but it does help you develop a great perspective on things and, what's even better, Tyson does an excellent job of "dumbing" things down for those (like me) who aren't physicists.

For fiction, I like Clive Barker and HP Lovecraft. Yeah, I'm kind of weird.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.