The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane or Unscripted? Which first?

Which book should be read first, TMF, or UNSCRIPTED?

• The Millionaire Fastlane

Votes: 73 52.9%
  • Unscripted

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Doesn't really matter.

Votes: 29 21.0%

• Total voters

vth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Feb 18, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
If you're only committing to read one, go Unscripted.

If you're going to read both, then Fastlane first, Unscripted second.

I say this because I feel like TMF is a book that can be read and consumed much like a movie - from start to finish. If I re-read it, its from start to finish again.

Unscripted is so fundamentally heavy that I have to take it a chapter at a time. Some of the things that hit me the hardest can be reflected back on completely out of context with the rest of the book. It should be kept in the bedside drawer as entrepreneurial bible, not on the shelf as a novel.

TheSmokey1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Jul 11, 2017
The World
...I LOVE Unscripted but, the 1st time through I personally found the graphics distracting and some of the new terminology a bit hard to grasp. I can only imagine it would be harder for someone not familiar with your work.
I had the same thought when reading Unscripted.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
In reading both books, I still believe TMF should be first and then Unscripted.

I found that TMF was a wonderful introduction for people looking to make the mindset change required for business, thus, it introduces the individual to the possibilities of not only going into business, but the possibilities of creating mind-blowing success - which is usually a far-fetched thought for many people.

I found Unscripted was a beautiful continuation of the introduction received from TMF, as Unscripted goes a lot more in depth with the philosophies introduced in TMF.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alexander K.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Aug 6, 2017
Southend-on-Sea, Essex, UK
I vote for TMF first.

In my case, I got the UNSCRIPTED, possibly as a result of reacting to some ad, started reading it and then found out about the TMF. So I got the TMF Kindle version and then the Audible version as well, or maybe vice versa. I actually liked the title, maybe because I am not overfed with this kind of literature, I am quite selective. So I got the TMF and only after reading it (no, not reading, listening on Audible) returned to the UNSCRIPTED. To be honest, the way how TMF started was a bit repetitive. But when it came to describing the Fast Lane, it got me ignited, I resonated with it very strongly. So I did enjoy the book.

I am now in the second half of UNSCRIPTED and there are a few very valuable insights indeed, my favorite is about delivering value, but as I am not an American, all the 401k and stocks investment info is of no interest to me. I am still hoping that something powerful will kick in soon, as it did with TMF.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I would say TMF for one reason: It had more of your origin story. This gave the book credibility,

You know, this is probably the reason that "How to Get Rich" by Felix Dennis is one of my favorite business books. It's like 70% biography and 30% advice but it all feels incredibly real and makes you really trust everything being said.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
I'd say Unscripted first for most people and TMF for those who are already engaged in the entrepreneurial game.

I personally found more value in TMF because I had my FTE years ago and was looking for technical knowledge on how to attain financial freedom. If I was still working a job and looking for a way out, I'd definitely find Unscripted more helpful.

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
I read TMF first and the way the sidewalk, slowlane and fastlane was explained really struck a nerve. And I'm sure if I read Unscripted first, I'd have a similar reaction to the concepts presented especially since it's written in MJ's no BS style. Which makes it so different from most business books.

I'd say TMF may be conceptually easier to understand and follow as Unscripted has TUNEF which is made of multiple components, new concepts and abbreviations. This is especially true when listening on audio and you can't skip back easily to the earlier chapters to remind yourself what a certain concept was again.

Blackadder

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Sep 17, 2013
The Ozark Mountains
In my oh so humble opinion (and having now read both books) The millionaire fastlane changes your worldview, Unscripted helps you find your new "why" to that worldview.

The why before the vista, would be like adding the soda to the rootbeer float first....its nice....but its a whole other world when its added after the ice cream.

RedKiteKid

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
May 29, 2017
UK
TMF for me, for many of the reasons above but also because I listen on audible and the fact that it was self-narrated I felt only added to the message and the buy-in to the concepts. Unscripted was a tougher listen then but part of that is because it is so rampacked with additional content it's a huge expansion on TMF and requires time to digest (for me that only read TMF a few months ago at least) so rather than standing alone I see it more as a follow on for sure.

CDM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 17, 2013
I think Unscripted is for the average person who is barely aware that the Matrix exists.

TMF is for those who are struggling to escape it.

The book to read first depends on where somebody is at in life.

The guy who is doing 5 MLMs and trying to sell crap on Amazon needs TMF first.

But most people should read Unscripted first.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I'm wondering the same. If anyone could tell me what those books are about?

To channel this forum a bit, stop asking us to do things for you. If you have a Kindle, you can get samples. I think you can still get the first 3 chapters of both books. However, where are you? Are you interested in knowing why becoming an entrepreneur is a good idea, or are you looking for execution strategies?

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
They both do the job of initiating the mind shift. TMF is a little more raw and hits harder on the mind shift. Unscripted probably more confirmation of the mind shift path with more things to explore.

Not sure if reading one or the other matters significantly to a slowlaner, they both have the “wake the f up” message that lands here, with better life influences so one can focus and learn. Unscripted sums up TMF and builds on it. I think if you read Unscripted first, you may find TMF redundant and introductory. TMF is power and shock, Unscripted is power and shock marinated in strategy.

TKRR

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 27, 2017
Ohio
I had just finished reading TMF when UNSCRIPTED was planning its pre-release and then purchased and read UNSCRIPTED.

I liked it that way, I can see how people would find UNSCRIPTED first due to it being the "new" book attract for customers to the lifestyle, to the group. Personally, I'd prefer reading TMF before. I'd say if I read UNSCRIPTED first I'd probably not have read TMF after, just because I feel I would have already achieved the "newest" information (my usual self when I find an author has older books). This is not to say that both books don't have their own unique importance in this instance!

I read Unscripted first, only because it appealed to me more, and actually didn't know the other one existed. I'm about half way through TMF and it does feel a bit of the same kind of thing, in which I thought Unscripted did a better job at getting the point across. However, I'm still getting a lot out of it. It's sort helping to see the same basic problem from yet another angle. Also, frankly, this stuff is motivating.

I would think that either would be a good start to opening someone's eyes, but at this point I do feel like I liked Unscripted better, but it could be simply for the "newness" factor, like you suggested.

TKRR

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 27, 2017
Ohio
As I wrote in another thread, I think TMF shows you why you SHOULD be an entrepreneur. UNSCRIPTED shows you why you NEED to be an entrepreneur.

Ha Ha, I didn't say that!

But before someone locks me into a political box, let me just say that my "views" on hot-button issues spread the left/right spectrum whereas it would frustrate a partisan because they violate all partisan boxes.

I'd go into detail, but I'd violate my own forum rules. ;)

For what it's worth, I felt you did a pretty good job putting down both sides. For a person to wholeheartedly agree with republican or democrats is pure insanity to me. Frankly, both sides are playing us.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
I found TMF to be more actionable and polarizing. It is better suited for people to take action.
It should be read first if you are a bit eccentric.

Unscripted is fabulous addition to TMF and supplements with great great concepts(I love the gumball machine analogy the most). Many questions you have after reading TMF are addressed.
The branding is also more suited for the general public, which is great to get even more eyes on it.

sam9530130

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Dec 29, 2016
Canada
I think TMF should be read first. I thought it was a "better" introduction to the concepts even though I prefer UNSCRIPTED overall

drleeds

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Jul 2, 2017
Fort Lauderdale, FL
After a few months post release, it's clear that many folks are reading UNSCRIPTED first (and not even knowing TMF exists) and then finding the forum.

So my question is, for those of you who read UNSCRIPTED and TMF (BOTH) and feel one or both are recommendable, which book would you recommend is read FIRST?

I agree with this statement above which is why I recommend that UNS goes first, and it has a less objectionable title. Could be a recency bias on my part however.

Please vote and let me know, gracious!

I read Unscripted First and then TMF. I feel that this is the appropriate order. Both books are excellent and they are not redundant. Both books should be read.

I almost didn't read TMF because you said in a podcast interview that Unscripted stands on its own and I mistook this to mean that it is all inclusive, meaning that TMF does not have to be read if I read Unscripted. I understand that you do not want to come off as doing a hard sell for your books in podcast interviews, but I would recommend highly that if someone reads one of the books, they should definitely read the other.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I finished TMF a while ago and am one third through Unscripted.

As a non-native speaker I find Unscripted more challenging than TMF, but it gives a way broader perspective. I recommend:
  1. read TMF
  2. get your hands dirty in business
  3. read Unscripted while executing #2
Second that!
I followed this path btw.

But yes, you can read UNSCRIPTED as a whole read. Everything is there on beliefs overriding and execution frameworks. Even though the wealth equations are not included, we would understand the parameters of the Fastlane and Slowlane equations in terms of TIME.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Funny, I was just about to post a question regarding the relationship between the 2 books. I think it depends on where the person is. If the person is happy with the 9 to 5 lifestyle, then neither (although I would slip that person a copy of Your Money or Your Life). If the person is unhappy, but isn't too keen on entrepreneurship, I think reading Unscripted first would be helpful for giving him the right frame of mind. If the person knows that entrepreneurship is the path he wants, TMF provided a bit more concrete details. I see alot of overlap in the two books, but Unscripted spends more time with the thoughts and beliefs than TMF does.

Dylan_91

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 28, 2017
Florida
So my question is, for those of you who read UNSCRIPTED and TMF (BOTH) and feel one or both are recommendable, which book would you recommend is read FIRST?

!

I had just finished reading TMF when UNSCRIPTED was planning its pre-release and then purchased and read UNSCRIPTED.

I liked it that way, I can see how people would find UNSCRIPTED first due to it being the "new" book attract for customers to the lifestyle, to the group. Personally, I'd prefer reading TMF before. I'd say if I read UNSCRIPTED first I'd probably not have read TMF after, just because I feel I would have already achieved the "newest" information (my usual self when I find an author has older books). This is not to say that both books don't have their own unique importance in this instance!

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
UNSCRIPTED is a prequel to TMF. It goes back in time to explain why TMF came out the way it did. But nobody creates prequels before the main movie, do they?

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
It was because the title "The Millionaire Fastlane" seemed so unbelievable that it stood out to me amongst all the other books you see on amazon when you buy one and it shows what other buyers purchased. I clicked on it precisely because it sounded like BS and I wanted to amuse myself. So I did the "look inside the book" thing, found it compelling, bought it, etc.

Just wanted to offer that, since I do know that the title turns some people off... but it got me to look at it.

I'm only 3/4 through Unscripted so won't weigh in just yet on that question.

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
I finished TMF a while ago and am one third through Unscripted.

As a non-native speaker I find Unscripted more challenging than TMF, but it gives a way broader perspective. I recommend:
  1. read TMF
  2. get your hands dirty in business
  3. read Unscripted while executing #2

Screw that. Just finished Unscripted. It's levels better. Read Unscripted first.

Artemisia

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Jul 31, 2017
United Kingdom
I would say Unscripted as well, maybe it is just because it was the first book I have read. It is an inspirational book, it definitely makes you crave for more information which TMF provides. :) Also, although it is just "judging a book by its cover" Unscripted is a much more approachable title to a lot of people.

Jurica22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2017
Croatia
I've personally read TMFL, but still haven't got my hands on Unscripted.

With that being said, just ordered it from Amazon and can't wait to read it!

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
TMF first and then Unscripted, once you got some time to incorporate some of the main ideas from TMF.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.